Battery Isolator. Is painless still awsome?

General Automag

Adventurer
My vote goes to IronMan4x4 for their 275-amp dual battery setup

I researched most all of the dual battery kits out there and decided on the IronMan4x4 275-amp dual battery kit http://www.ironman4x4.com/html/motorised275amp.html. The kits from National Luna and HellRoaring tie for a close second. The IronMan4x4 kit's come in either a 140-amp or 275-amp. The 140-amp unit is a little cheaper, so if that fits your needs, go with that one. I ended up the IronMan4x4 unit because of the simple install and because the kit price was a good value in that it came with battery cables and most connectors you will need. You will easily spend around $100 for connectors and cables if you do it right.

If you want to keep the IronMan4x4 kit install simple, just don't install the dual battery monitor and the override switch. These aren't hard to install, but you simply have to run wires into the cab of your vehicle.

The IronMan4x4 switch is actually made by BEP Marine, so I know that the part should be good for the lifetime of the vehicle. We used marine terminals on our batteries so as to make battery swaps easier. We swap the second battery out for our camping trailer or trolling motor when the need arises. It's SO comforting knowing that you have a second fully-charged battery.

The National Luna kit would be a tie for the IronMan4x4 kit but the LED indicator on the National Luna kit was too large for a nice fit in our vehicle, and the price was just too high. I was not at all impressed with the Painless Wiring kits or the simple marine 1-2,1+2 kits which leave you with a huge knob mounted under your hood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles