Alternator issues

SOFpirate

Adventurer
Alright ... what can kill an alternator?

Because apparently one of the answers is me. I'm going through my second one in 4 months.

The OE alternator finally died about 4 months ago due to just ... well ... age and use I guess. I got a new one from Autozone, threw it in there, and its been fine for 4 months until the other day. Granted there's a lifetime warranty on it and all it takes is two bolts and a belt to change, but seriously.

Just looking at it, there's a little bit of mud in it that I should've cleaned out after our trip, but I always get caught working on every vehicle but my own. Then, when I do go to work on my own, I get yelled at for working on vehicles too much ... so is my life. Haha.

So, does mud kill alternators?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Just looking at it, there's a little bit of mud in it that I should've cleaned out after our trip, but I always get caught working on every vehicle but my own. Then, when I do go to work on my own, I get yelled at for working on vehicles too much ... so is my life. Haha.

So, does mud kill alternators?
Yup. Been the # 1 cause for me until I learned to clean it after getting back from any trip where I might have gotten it wet.

The local rebuilder won't honor his warranty if he finds mud in it. He's the one who told me it will kill them quicker than just about anything else short of an EMP strike.:ylsmoke:

tatuedrednek

Wanderer
Nothing against Autozone, but personally I wouldn't put any Autozone electrical parts on anything I own. I'm a steadfast NAPA man. Mud sure doesn't help the matter either.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Autozone was where I found the OEM ignition switches for sale in an aftermarket box (Borg/Warner IIRC). That said I too prefer napa although id add their corporate stores are better.

GrassCat

Adventurer
An oil leak from the the top of the engine, (cam seals, valve cover), is the number one Montero alternator killer. You may have to replace the alternator several times before you get a good one from Autozone.

SOFpirate

Adventurer
An oil leak from the the top of the engine, (cam seals, valve cover), is the number one Montero alternator killer. You may have to replace the alternator several times before you get a good one from Autozone.

That's what I've heard. I replaced the alternator BEFORE my top end rebuild while there was still a boat load of leakage. So now that it's fresh up top, and with a new alternator, hopefully it'll just be user error.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Same here, I don't cheap out on alternators. I bought a rebuilt denso unit for my Jeep when it went out a couple years ago. It was the original part, I figured if it lasted that long, a similar replacement would be a good choice.

Plus, I love supporting local shops, rather than under-staffed (both in cust. service and technical knowledge) chain stores selling chinese lowest-bidder items.

And just to be clear, I'm not trying to sound eliitist, it's just it's been such a waste of time, money, worrying NOT to go with a quality component in this particular case. I'm always looking for the deal, but I've cut corners electrically and it always ends up bad. :D

SOFpirate

Adventurer
Same here, I don't cheap out on alternators. I bought a rebuilt denso unit for my Jeep when it went out a couple years ago. It was the original part, I figured if it lasted that long, a similar replacement would be a good choice.

Plus, I love supporting local shops, rather than under-staffed (both in cust. service and technical knowledge) chain stores selling chinese lowest-bidder items.

And just to be clear, I'm not trying to sound eliitist, it's just it's been such a waste of time, money, worrying NOT to go with a quality component in this particular case. I'm always looking for the deal, but I've cut corners electrically and it always ends up bad. :D

Thanks for the info on that. I think I'll take advantage of this free replacement, then look at possibly trying to find a GOOD one eventually.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Alternators aren't magic. Not much goes wrong with them. Brushes, slip rings and bearings is usually about it. Sometimes a voltage regulator.

And yes, dirt, mud and rocks will chew up the brushes and slip rings, as well as chewing up the rotor and stator coils if it gets caught between them. Water...well it's wet. Not good.

AutoZone doesn't send alternators back to China for a rebuild - most parts places use a local shop that rebuilds a ton of alternators and starters of all makes for all sorts of auto parts distributors.

Get a rebuilt from NAPA or AutoZone - they were both likely rebuilt by the same local shop across town. In the OP's case, it might be these guys:

http://www.dexknows.com/business_profiles/b_and_t_remanufacturing_inc-b913392

When I was looking for an alternator for my truck, neither NAPA or O'reilly had "clocked alternators" (rear case bolted on in different positions to make the wiring connections easier to get to). AutoZone had them though.

SOFpirate

Adventurer
I just got done replacing it.

There was quite a bit of mud in the brushes, easily killed it. Took it in, they replaced it for free, and I slapped it in.

I'm beginning to become a pro at this ...

scrubber3

Not really here
I had to replace mine due to oil leaking from the cam seals. Like its already said, mud/grime will wear one out as well. Let's not forget that a crappy battery will kill one fast as well as over tightening the belt. Be sure to check it out.

I tend to stay out of the nasty mud nowadays and I often pressure wash mine after I go on any trails....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94