Gen 2 Montero SR vs. later Gen 2 Trooper

Cee-Jay

Sasquatch
The Trooper is roomier inside, and has a nicer dash, with a few more nice features, like one touch windows and the rear barn door is nice[/img]

Yes, the Trooper has a lot going for it. I like it better than the Montero in a number of respects.

My boys are small now (5 and 2) so space isn't a huge issue yet. That being said, in the back of my mind I still consider throwing a lift and 35"s on 2500 Suburban and calling it good for the next 20 years... but I'm not sure it's really practical. My wife would never drive it, it would barely fit parked out on my narrow street and size might be an issue on some trails. On the other hand, parts a plenty and zero space issues. And it's not like I'm planning on extreme trails here... just your run of the mill high clearance 4x4 trails. I've probably planned out six or seven different rigs on paper (K5, Ramcharger, XJ, Wagoneer, 98-01 Trooper, Gen 2 Montero, Suburban) and I've done some basic research on a bunch of others. I need to stop treating this as the one vehicle to end all vehicles and just try something that makes sense, knowing that I can always sell it if I decide I like something else better. The bottom line is that any of the vehicles I've considered will be perfectly fine for my purposes.

One thing I like about the Montero SR is minimal investment... don't need to pay for a lift, don't need to add a locker or lsd... just plug in some skinny 33"s and start playing. If my dreams of family adventure travel never come to fruition, I won't be stuck with a money pit of an adventure vehicle that never gets used and is worth jack (given that most of the "improvements" I make will decrease the value of the vehicle, or at least not add much). Montero seems like a safe choice.

In reality, Cee-Jay, that's why I chose the Montero. Granted I paid $1500 for a truck with 115k miles with known issues, the issues are being worked through now and the truck will be ready to go anywhere before too long.

I love the fact that I didn't have to spend $1500+ for suspension and $3000+ for locker and gearing... it just made all the sense in the world to get the montero. People say parts availability is scarce. We just practically rebuilt the engine. Sure, the local parts store doesn't have everything on their shelf, but I've not had to wait more than 48hrs for parts. Plus, everything I've gotten was manufactured in Japan.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Not sure you got the best advice on Troopers...you don't have to lift a Trooper to fit 33s, and even if you do it is cheap, $170 for a set of OME coils and crank the front up to match. Certainly nothing like $1500. And most of them have rear LSDs as well, though not a locker.

Oh well, enjoy your Montero, they are nice too! :)

Not sure you got the best advice on Troopers...you don't have to lift a Trooper to fit 33s, and even if you do it is cheap, $170 for a set of OME coils and crank the front up to match. Certainly nothing like $1500. And most of them have rear LSDs as well, though not a locker.

My comparison was to the Toyota vehicles....

Besides, there is always a cheap way to do something....

Troopers are great trucks too, was a difficult decision, but ultimately I preferred the Montero.

Cee-Jay

Sasquatch

Big Swede, my understanding (mostly from reading on Planetisuzoo) was that skinny 33s will fit on the Trooper, but that they will rub. In contrast, flotation 33's only rub a little on the Montero and skinnys will probably be good to go. Yes I agree that the lift is relatively cheap on a Trooper.... but avoiding a torsion bar crank (even a small one) is usually a good idea in my opinion. Everything else equal, 33s with no crank and no rub is better than 33s with crank and no rub. Also, based on my craigslist vehicle search over the last several months, Montero SRs are $500 to $1000 more than similar Troopers... so the spread is not that wide to begin with (not when you factor in OME lift + a locker).

Please tell me though if you disagree that skinny 33's will rub on a Trooper with no lift. Not always easy for me to seperate out the generaly accepted facts as understood by the hardcore guys from the opinion of one guy who's brother knew a guy that ran 44"s on a welded GM 10-bolt and never broke an axle, etc. :ylsmoke: I am very much a rookie and am prone to making mistakes on things like this.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Big Swede, my understanding (mostly from reading on Planetisuzoo) was that skinny 33s will fit on the Trooper, but that they will rub. In contrast, flotation 33's only rub a little on the Montero and skinnys will probably be good to go. Yes I agree that the lift is relatively cheap on a Trooper.... but avoiding a torsion bar crank (even a small one) is usually a good idea in my opinion. Everything else equal, 33s with no crank and no rub is better than 33s with crank and no rub. Also, based on my craigslist vehicle search over the last several months, Montero SRs are $500 to $1000 more than similar Troopers... so the spread is not that wide to begin with (not when you factor in OME lift + a locker).

Please tell me though if you disagree that skinny 33's will rub on a Trooper with no lift. Not always easy for me to seperate out the generaly accepted facts as understood by the hardcore guys from the opinion of one guy who's brother knew a guy that ran 44"s on a welded GM 10-bolt and never broke an axle, etc. :ylsmoke: I am very much a rookie and am prone to making mistakes on things like this.

Lets say you can't run 33's. Lets say you can only run 32's or 31's...

the difference in diameter from a 31-10.50 to a 33-10.5 is what? An inch? Maybe less, depending on the manufacturer?

That seems like an very insignificant point to consider in the overall decision. Not trying to offend you, but sometimes we need step away from the comptuter or our list in a notebook to re-focus our attention on the things that actually matter.

I'm sure you'd be able to adjust your driving style to accomodate that 1" or less difference in tire size, if you otherwise believe the trooper to be the better choice.

Its seriously like trying to compare a red apple to a green apple... They're both apples, its just whichever one you like better. Yes, I sort of just made that up all by my lonesome.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Its seriously like trying to compare a red apple to a green apple... They're both apples, its just whichever one you like better. Yes, I sort of just made that up all by my lonesome.

x2, yup.

They really are very, very much the same, or similar enough that you can't really go wrong.

Cee-Jay

Sasquatch
Lets say you can't run 33's. Lets say you can only run 32's or 31's...

the difference in diameter from a 31-10.50 to a 33-10.5 is what? An inch? Maybe less, depending on the manufacturer?

No offense taken and a totally fair point, for there is nothing magical about a particular tires size. One might argue that it makes more sense to look at ground clearance, approach angles, etc. since that impacts trail worthiness more than tire height, per se. And if I used that approach, the Trooper might win out even with smaller tires given that, if what I've read is correct, it has better stock ground clearance by over an inch (though I’ve read conflicting info on this).

In fact, that WAS my thinking when I first posted this thread… I was leaning Trooper for that very reason. My last couple posts made it seem like tire size and rear locker were the only deciding factors, but that's not exactly true; Engine reliability (Mitsu 3.5 vs Isuzu 3.5), transmission durability, IFS durability, etc. all come into play and little things too… power outlets, rain gutters, and I like the way 33”s look! I like the way the bumpers on the Montero look better than the Trooper... inconsequential, but true. When one is comparing between two extremely similar vehicles, the ultimate decision may come down to subjective, and probably somewhat arbitrary, preferences between the two. As much as it doesn’t matter how the vehicles look… if everything else is equal (and in this case they are pretty darn close), something that seemingly inconsequential may be enough to reasonably tip the balance.

Rather that fret about all these little things, I think I just need to buy something and not worry too much if it's the exact right perfect vehicle. It won't be and that's okay... it just needs to be fine... and if it's not fine I'll sell it and by another!

Heck, one of the reasons I ended up with the monty is the split rear windows... I can slide them open enough for my dogs to stick their heads out and get some air. Insignificant but a selling point.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Good on ya, CJ. Good luck on the decision. I'm sure you'll pick the right one. And I dig how patient you're being in waiting for the best specimen (of either brand) that fits your budget. Thats definitely the best way to do it from my experiences. (though i know some like a "good deal" on a vehicle even if it means a bit of a project. That path has never ended well for me. Just ask my wife..hahaha! :D)

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Heck, one of the reasons I ended up with the monty is the split rear windows... I can slide them open enough for my dogs to stick their heads out and get some air. Insignificant but a selling point.

Haha, Thats awesome. Significant in my book. Unhappy dogs = no bueno. :)

scrubber3

Not really here
He did say something about the locker and gearing already on the Montero..... So I don't think tires are the game changer. Though I will say that based on my experience, a 33 inch tire can make a huge difference verses the 32 and 31. Especially considering the amount of contact you get when you air down. It's not just about clearance..... Though I will say an extra inch is nice. Just ask any woman, they'll tell you. :)

Oh, I do like the Trooper and wouldn't hesitate buying one.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
He did say something about the locker and gearing already on the Montero..... So I don't think tires are the game changer. Though I will say that based on my experience, a 33 inch tire can make a huge difference verses the 32 and 31. Especially considering the amount of contact you get when you air down. It's not just about clearance..... Though I will say an extra inch is nice. Just ask any woman, they'll tell you. :)

Oh, I do like the Trooper and wouldn't hesitate buying one.

Hahaha, thats what she said...:D

mrwizard

Adventurer
This discussion has been super helpful. I'm going through the same process now. Not a lot of options on the SR's around Boise right now, but there's a solid looking '98 Trooper than I'm looking at in a couple hours with 135k miles on the ticker. I honestly think the Montero has a few advantages, but they're so close that this may be a solid choice for our needs for now.

Cee-Jay, thanks for bringing this discussion back up on ExPo. I know it gets rehashed every few months, but every few months there are a few of us that are interested in the discussion. Good luck on your search and purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94