Gen 2 Montero SR vs. later Gen 2 Trooper

Cee-Jay

Sasquatch
Good day all.

I'm agonizing between a 1994 Montero SR and a 1998 Trooper Limited. Please help me decide! Either way, I'll be outfitting my choice with 33" tires and some basic trail armor for use on easy to moderate trails (very occasionally on more difficult trails) as a backcountry adventure vehicle in support of overland trips, camping, hunting and general family fun.

Here's how I'm seeing it so far:

Montero Advantages
Tougher transmission
Factory Air Locker (yes, I know you can get an ARB for the Trooper)
Better re-gearing available - Running 33"s I can stay pretty close to factory ratios using 4.90s
More aftermarket body armor options - A few front bumpers and even a rear bumper
Somewhat more rugged IFS - Bigger ring gear and beefier set-up.
Excellent Alternator Placement - up high and away from the water
North American Dealer Network
Third row seating
Factory 12 volt outlet in rear (not a big deal of course, but nice to not have to do it myself)

Trooper Advantages
Over 1" better ground clearance
Better front suspension articulation
More suspension lift options - More options should I wish to go beyond a simple OME + torsion crank style lift.
Barn doors
More rugged factory skid plates
Better app/dep angles - Montero has exceptional approach angle but departure is horrid... the Trooper is more balanced
IFS design more out of harms way - Perhaps handles less power, but it is less likely to get banged up by rocks and such
Somewhat more rugged rear end - Not very important given I'm only running 33"s.
Better fuel economy
Less expensive
Very good information online (Expeditionportal, PlanetIsuzoo, 4x4Wire, etc.)

Push (More or less equal)
Weight
Wheel Base
Length
Turning circle
Width
Horsepower and Torque
Towing capacity
Comfort

Thoughts? What am I missing? Where am I wrong?

I'm slightly leaning toward the Trooper but I've got a very nice Montero SR available for sale down the street from me. Maybe these are both perfectly capable for what I'm using them for and that, therefore, it really doesn't matter which I choose. Maybe I should just buy whichever I find the better deal on?

Related Threads:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/21210-Montero-vs-Trooper
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/49697-LC-vs-Trooper-vs-Montero
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/56751-Montero-Suspension-Travel
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/77882-Trooper-question
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/77907-Tell-me-more-about-these-Monteros

Last edited:
I think you're pretty spot on.

Another plus for the trooper... more were sold and tons more in the junk yards... ;)

It was between trooper and monty... I obviously leaned monty.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I don't have any experience with Monteros, so I don't know if the Monty IFS is more rugged or not, but the Trooper IFS is pretty tough. I have wheeled a Trooper with 35s for 6 years with only a few breakages.

And the Trooper rear axle has tons of articulation, I would be surprised if the Montero matches it.

Really, I like 'em both, hard to go wrong.

I don't have any experience with Monteros, so I don't know if the Monty IFS is more rugged or not, but the Trooper IFS is pretty tough. I have wheeled a Trooper with 35s for 6 years with only a few breakages.

And the Trooper rear axle has tons of articulation, I would be surprised if the Montero matches it.

Really, I like 'em both, hard to go wrong.

I think you answered the IFS toughness question, a Montero would not break with 35" tires. I have not even heard of breakage issues with 37 and 40" tires. It's a really tough IFS. My stock Montero averages 20mpg in the city and 24mpg out on the open road.

As far as the rear end is concerned, I am not sure it really matters, both rear ends are way over built. The troopers ring gear is 1/4" larger but I think Mitsubishi uses higher quality metal. Both rear ends will never give you issues if maintained properly.

I see that you have the Montero's tranny as being more reliable which is the case. But I can not express how well it performs, it shifts soooo smooth and it always seems to shift at the right time. It is perfectly mated with the 3.5l engine. This set up is an absolute jewel. While not overly powerful, it feels like a German engineered drivetrain. Actually the whole Montero feels like it is German engineered, but it has the reliability of a Japanese auto.

The best recommendation I can give you is drive several troopers and several Monteros. Get a good feel for them and see which one you like better. On paper I think they are very comparable, but I am sure that will change when you start test driving. I also encourage you to drive a Gen III Montero. They are amazing off road and they have even better articulation than the Gen II despite being a fully independent suspension.

Last edited:
The best recommendation I can give you is drive several troopers and several Monteros. Get a good feel for them and see which one you like better. On paper I think they are very comparable, but I am sure that will change when you start test driving. I also encourage you to drive a Gen III Montero. They are amazing off road and they have even better articulation than the Gen II despite being a fully independent suspension.

For me it really came down to three things:
1) Locking rear diff from the factory. I currently do not foresee the need to install a front locker. (maybe an LSD if there is one available... but haven't researched it.)
2) Rear sliding windows for the dogs.
3) I was more impressed with the driving characteristics of the Monteros vs Trooper. Montero handles much "sportier" with less body roll, and as 4D55 mentions the motor and tranny just work well. I agree with his comments above.

I have two friends who know troopers inside and out, they were supportive of the Trooper as a choice, but nitpicked even more and persuaded me to the Monty. One is a mechanic, the other a physicist together they have four or five project troopers which they are doing diesel swaps into...

Cee-Jay

Sasquatch
Thanks so much for your feedback everybody; I very much appreciate it.

I just missed a 94 RS with 42,000 miles on it. Apparently the 4x4 indicator light was dimly lit but no apparent problems with the 4x4 system. Also, the ABS light was on and owner reported he was able to make the brakes lock, which he took to mean there was an issue that needed to be fixed. I believe it sold for $4500... I hesitated because of the ABS issue and somebody else bought it later that day.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Pretty much concur with what others have said...Both are very high quality competitors to the fj80 and fj100 series of toyota's and in some cases, offer more bang for the buck. I like that montero's have 3 rows of seats available, since I have 3 kids, and often have a need to carry 6 or 7 people, but then again, the trooper is actually wider/longer in the rear seat, so as to allow comfortable seating for 3 while retaining the rear cargo area for all our STUFF. haha.

We've test driven both, and my wife really likes the layout/feel of the montero, and didn't feel like the cargo issue was an "issue" as we usually have our trailer on trips, and if it's a short jaunt, there would be space on either side of kid 3 in the middle row, if kid 1 and 2 were in the back...

Both can tow a fair amount, and both get upwards of 18-20mpgs on an average mixed driving tank, which compared to the toyota's, is pretty damn impressive. (fj80's/fj100's usually get 13-15mpgs or less, due to being very strong/heavy/geared low/fulltime 4wd rigs...great cars, but way more beef that most people need)

I honestly don't think either is a bad choice, and really it comes down to which one you find in better shape, within your price range.

scrubber3

Not really here
Thanks so much for your feedback everybody; I very much appreciate it.

I just missed a 94 RS with 42,000 miles on it. Apparently the 4x4 indicator light was dimly lit but no apparent problems with the 4x4 system. Also, the ABS light was on and owner reported he was able to make the brakes lock, which he took to mean there was an issue that needed to be fixed. I believe it sold for $4500... I hesitated because of the ABS issue and somebody else bought it later that day.

Not an issue if the ABS doesn't work. Mine isn't equipped with ABS and it is just fine. If the brakes lock, well that's just like how the cars without ABS work. Just pump the brakes if needed. No use crying over spilt milk though. Did you mean to say SR for that rig?

The third row in a Montero is great for little people but it is no good for adults.

I'm 5'11 and can sit back there for short trips around town, but you're right, any real distance wouldn't be fun. If you need third row space for adults, buy a Suburban or Excursion.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I think you answered the IFS toughness question, a Montero would not break with 35" tires. I have not even heard of breakage issues with 37 and 40" tires. It's a really tough IFS. My stock Montero averages 20mpg in the city and 24mpg out on the open road.

It is worth noting that the 2 CVs I broke in 5 years were both in extreme (stupid) circumstances. One was a full throttle, high speed hill climb in deep snow...got airborne and popped the CV when I landed. Most drivetrains have trouble with shock loading like that. The other was while trying to climb an undercut ledge with one wheel, on Golden Spike trail in Moab. I should have just picked a different line.

Point being, I wouldn't expect any breakage in normal expo duty.

Cee-Jay

Sasquatch
Well, did you find one yet?

Still looking, thanks for asking. I've pretty much decided to go Montero instead of Trooper. The Montero SR is a more expensive initial purchase, but it seems to me that it's cheaper in the long run given my very simple build plan. Intially anyway, I'll just set the shocks to stiff, throw on some skinny 33"s and perhaps add some body armor/recovery points. In contrast, adding a rear air locker and lifting a Trooper a few inches to allow for 33"s would, at the end of the day, burn through the intial savings and ultimately cost more than a Montero SR. It's a rare vehicle that can except 33"s with no lift and little to no rubbing... and it comes with an air-actuated rear diff lock? Pretty good deal.

Only one other 94+ SR has gone on sale since the one I wrote about a few weeks ago... a 1996 w/ 150k miles sold in in just a few days for $3400. There are not a lot of them out here for sale lately. There is a $2000 '93 with engine issues, but I want the 3.5. Also a 99 Montero, but it doesn't have the winter package and the guy wants $4800 for it.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I thought my Montero was a 94, but I know it had a 3.0L V6, with manual transmission. It was an LS model. The engine was from Chrysler and made getting parts (like the water pump and alternator) super easy and cheap (compared to Mitsu dealer prices). Great truck. Only reason why we sold it was that I never really fit in it, and then the kids didn't fit when the toddler car seats got enormous. The Trooper is roomier inside, and has a nicer dash, with a few more nice features, like one touch windows and the rear barn door is nice, but that Monty just kept going and going...

Pre-lift and pre-33's:
936482406_XLxyk-XL.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles