E320 CDI

Storz

Explorer
I was in a car accident last week with my CTS and its looking like it might be totaled out (waiting to hear back from insurance) so I've began the hunt for another vehicle. I've realized that I don't really need a fullsize, 4wd vehicle like I've had in the past, most of my adventures involve dirt roads and not actual "off road" driving. I also have a 50 mile round trip commute to work everyday.

Which brings me to the E320. It made it to the top 10 list here on Expo so its gotta be good right? How reliable is the 3.2l diesel? How about the petro AWD models?

Thoughts? Experience with them?

Funrover

Expedition Leader
My pareants have a 2006 E320 Diesel, What a great car. The MPG's are incredible, my mom does anywhere from 30 - 70 miles a day and that car just loves the open road. There has been a few minor cosmetic things that were covered by warranty. Other than that it has been 6 years of basica maint. and no problems. I can't answer dirt roads and such however, sorry. My dad has an 2004 e320 gasser, while it is comfortable it does not get near the MPG's and doesn't have the power at all compared to the 3.2 diesel. Hope this helps a little

Storz

Explorer
Anyone know if the E320 CDI Wagon (estate) was sold in the USA or was the CDI just sold here in sedan form?

otiswesty

Regular guy
I have both a G500 and a 2006 E320cdi that we bought new. The E class is a great car with tons of power and high efficiency MPG as mentioned above. The 2005 and 2006 use the om648 motor which is the cast iron block in line 6 cylinder. The 2007+ models use the aluminum V6 thst is arguably less durable and requires you to pull the engine to change the starter due to space constraints.

I would not use the E320 as a forest road car as it is not designed for any kind of abuse at all. The Gwagen in contrast is overbuilt for most users as a military vehicle conversion. If you want something in between, your best bet would be an early model ML with the 320cdi motor. I do not have personal experience with this car, but Dutch may venture an opinion on it since he had one he bought new. The V6 Toureg TDI is another option if you are looking at other than Mercedes brand.

My advice, spring for a Gwagen in your price range (predictable response I guess)

Eric

Funrover

Expedition Leader
The 2005 and 2006 use the om648 motor which is the cast iron block in line 6 cylinder. The 2007+ models use the aluminum V6 thst is arguably less durable and requires you to pull the engine to change the starter due to space constraints.

NTM that in 2007 they have the blue tec, so if you plan to travel anywhere wher the utmost premium diesel is not available don't take the Benz. Not a big issue depending where you live/where you visit.

otiswesty

Regular guy
I think the fuel requirements are the same. The difference with the Bluetec is the urea additive that is injected into the exhaust catalyst from an additional small tank. Fortunately if you are running low on urea and are far away from a urea supplier, you can add any liquid of your choice and it satisfies the on board urea tank monitor. All of the direct injection Mercedes diesel motors have a very low tolerance for water or contamination due to the extreme pressures and precision used in the fuel injection system.

This is not your dad's 300SD with the om617A.

Great engines though...

Funrover

Expedition Leader
I think the fuel requirements are the same. The difference with the Bluetec is the urea additive that is injected into the exhaust catalyst from an additional small tank. Fortunately if you are running low on urea and are far away from a urea supplier, you can add any liquid of your choice and it satisfies the on board urea tank monitor. All of the direct injection Mercedes diesel motors have a very low tolerance for water or contamination due to the extreme pressures and precision used in the fuel injection system.

This is not your dad's 300SD with the om617A.

Great engines though...

Interesting, the dealerships we talked to told us about the fuel requirements. That was one of the reasons we went with a 2006 over a 2007. They, however, never said a thing about the urea fluid. Thanks for the heads up. I will say driving my parents diesel is a WHOLE LOT more peppy than my old 71 220 Diesel. That technology has come a long way!

zimm

Expedition Leader
Its all nice, but what does this have to do with a G wagon on an expedition site?

MB world or one of the other various MB sites would be far more informative.

This is clutter. Good people will avoid rooms with clutter.

This section needs a janitor.

Storz

Explorer
The E320 was listed on this very site as one of the 10 best expedition vehicles available...

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

zimm

Expedition Leader
yes, but an E is NOT a G. there is a section for "expedition vehicles other" ... thats IF you are going to use it as such. this is a DD question about a non G. . . . you are replacing a cadillac. that makes it chat. there is a chat section. Unimogs dont belong here either, theres a section for that too.

there are reasons why there are sections, and putting things away where they belong is called self policing. it saves mods the effort, and keeps a site tidy and on its intended track. kinda like your your mom asking you to not leave your shoes in the middle of the floor in the first place.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
yes, but an E is NOT a G. there is a section for "expedition vehicles other" ... thats IF you are going to use it as such. this is a DD question about a non G. . . . you are replacing a cadillac. that makes it chat. there is a chat section. Unimogs dont belong here either, theres a section for that too.

there are reasons why there are sections, and putting things away where they belong is called self policing. it saves mods the effort, and keeps a site tidy and on its intended track. kinda like your your mom asking you to not leave your shoes in the middle of the floor in the first place.

lol

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Zimm, get a life.

According to the data on Fuelly, you can expect 30 mpg from the CDI E320. That's about 7 mpg better than our 4MATIC gas E320. If the price difference isn't that much over the gasser, diesel might be the way to go. I will say this, you can't go wrong with either. Such nice cars. The most comfortable roadtrip I've ever done was a 4 day drive across the country in ours. Sure it costs more to maintain, but totally worth it. Ours is 10 years old with 170k miles on it and my continually tells me how much she likes her car.

otiswesty

Regular guy
Ya, we had an E320 gasser too. Great mileage at 20+, smooth easy driver and lots of power. My 17 yo son totalled it 3 weeks ago unfortunately. At the body shop it got towed to was a 1999 G500 with front end damage, so now that is in my garage instead and it is getting a DIY fix up. Pretty easy really.
So there is a Gwagen at the end of the story for Zimm...

zimm

Expedition Leader
Zimm, get a life.

According to the data on Fuelly, you can expect 30 mpg from the CDI E320. That's about 7 mpg better than our 4MATIC gas E320. If the price difference isn't that much over the gasser, diesel might be the way to go. I will say this, you can't go wrong with either. Such nice cars. The most comfortable roadtrip I've ever done was a 4 day drive across the country in ours. Sure it costs more to maintain, but totally worth it. Ours is 10 years old with 170k miles on it and my continually tells me how much she likes her car.

if the section gets to be an off topic waste of time, G users that travel will stick solely to P3, and that will be a loss to a dedicated travel site where the general populous may be looking at make/model/ability options. dutch may be over the top anal sometimes, but he runs a professional orderly site, and deep down inside, everyone appreciates it.

there is an individual over there prepping his 460 diesel G for a long trip.... and he isnt even bothering to post here. its a loss. instead, now not only do we know someone wants a cadillac'yak'yak'yak daily driver replacement, but also that your wife loves her e320 to go to work in. .... something seems to fall short, but i cant quite put my finger on it.

i'll tell you what, i'll make you a deal. i'll get more of a life if you assure me you'll share less of yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles