New Guy Trailer Build Thread

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
Looking sweet. I'm not sure you needed the original tub at all. Your exo-skeleton is plenty enough. Keep on bending!

Sent from my iToaster

Thanks. The original tub will be where the inverter, air, water, and propane will be stored. I'm trying to keep as much stuff inside as possible for a cleaner look, and more secure too.

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
Thanks again everyone. After another evening of work, here is progress.

Rear tailgate hoop bent.
2012-05-17_20-06-17_300.jpg

It will have a couple more bars added and be skinned, but will also serve as a stop for the tailgate even though in case the straps aren't enough. :p

I'd like to say I originally planned on having the lines work out so well, but....
2012-05-17_20-32-11_662.jpg

How I lined it up with the frame....
2012-05-17_20-06-00_241.jpg

Since the family and neighbors went to bed, I wasn't able to do much more cutting and grinding, so I brainstormed some other stuff and decided to tack this on.
2012-05-18_00-00-12_585.jpg

I'm think of having on on opposite corners that can be pivoted using a nylon washer underneath and and lock nut to keep the tension from coming undone when spinning it. By doing so I can have this light for when I need to get into the box, and to have when setting up or working on stuff. The other one would opposite and will serve as a light for the grill area that will go on the front, and for light when hooking up the trailer.
2012-05-18_00-01-46_460.jpg

A front spreader bar was installed tonight also.
2012-05-18_00-07-00_125.jpg

I had to do it twice because the original plans since I wasn't happy with what was originally planned. Oh yeah, those 4" kickers between the 2 spreader bars on the side keep bugging me, so they will be getting matched to the main hoops bend, instead of being straight like they are now. I have the little pieces left over from the lower bars, so it's just a matter of getting them lined up, cut, and notched to match.

If tomorrow goes as planned, there should be plenty more progress made. Running out of tubing is my biggest concern now since I am getting more daring with the bender and keep having more ideas pop into my head. lol

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
Excellent work!
I do like the look of the Jeep wheels over the chrome reverse wheels.

Thanks. The Jeep wheels do make it look better imo. I'm hoping my tire/mechanic friends come up with a good used pair so I can get them mounted and put on the trailer.

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
Thanks again. You guys are going to make me feel like I know what I am actually doing with the kind words. :sombrero:

After removing the little 4" pieces that I previously mentioned, two brain farts later and a cut on a finger just about did me in, so I decided to replicate the other side and finish welding as much as I could instead of dealing with them and not making progress. I will tackle those tomorrow when my brain is clear, and now that I have some shorter tubing to make them out of instead of wasting what is left from the last stick of tubing.

Here is the mock up for what the taillights are going to look like. It's just a matter of getting some material to make them out of. Sorry for the blurry picture.
2012-05-19_00-42-09_771.jpg

Since everyone was in bed, I decided to try out what I found to be the world's greatest invention... A paint can handle for easier spraying. :p My old man fingers can't handle the usual way anymore.
2012-05-19_00-16-26_796.jpg

A small area of what it will look like. I've had great luck with this stuff. It is durable, needs no primer, and is easy to touch up.
2012-05-19_00-16-13_867.jpg

Progress from yesterday.
2012-05-18_23-31-26_122.jpg

Other then then passenger taillight which is bent and mostly notched, a small brace for the Jerry can holder tray, and the 4" pieces in between the spreader bars on both side, most of the cage work is done. Since I don't really want fuel by the cooking area, the Jerry Can holder will probably get one of these in its place.
rmp-86619.jpg

Today is an off day to actually spend some time with the kids. :p

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
The Tepui Kukenam RTT is now ordered and hopefully will be here in 1-2 weeks and I can get it mounted to the top of the cage. After taking the weekend off from working on it and working on the house, I was able to get the wood floor taken out the other night. Today I am wanting to finish up all the welding that was not possible to get to with the sides being on and then keep pecking away on what's left of the tubing.

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
The floor removed and everything is completely welded in other then the little pieces.
2012-05-24_20-09-29_847.jpg

Speaking of which, here is the one I made up for a pattern to match the contour of the main hoops. 3 more to go now.
2012-05-24_22-19-25_732.jpg

Since there was no instructions on what size to make the LED opening, the old floor worked well as a test fit
2012-05-24_22-42-15_332.jpg

I made this piece by tracing the cardboard template previously made, fitted it in the opening, and then traced it for the other side. By doing this first, it will help match up the other side to be exact
2012-05-24_20-09-40_110.jpg

Welded in place. This baby got REAL hot. :Wow1:
2012-05-24_21-11-30_857.jpg

The center from corner to corner was found and split 3-1/4" each way to find the outer edge because of LEDs dimension. From there I measure back 1-1/8" since the grommet needed an 1/8" added to each side. Figuring a 2-1/2" hole saw would work, the corners were drilled out.
2012-05-24_23-18-29_409.jpg

Then a grinder with a cutting wheel to cut the straights, and here is the end result.
2012-05-24_23-27-14_579.jpg

It does kind of bug me I didn't move it up more, but I did save the cutout pieces if it needs to be changed. Working with two different degrees of bends doesn't make for equal measurements when you are trying to split them equally within the opening (main hoop 45 degree bend, other piece 90 degree), but I don't think it will be as noticeable to me once everything else is completed. :ylsmoke:

It's time to go back to painting in the house, so now progress for a couple of days for me. I did get my old Appleby camper delivered tonight, so more money to put into this new trailer now. :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Awesome work! I would like to hear more on your Jeep too, is that it peeking in the pics with the Irocs? It looks super sweet too.

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
Thanks. The Jeep is a 79 CJ7, but mostly by title since literally the only thing left from the original jeep is the dash. It has a stroked small block Chevy w/Holley Projection, Dana 300 t-case, and custom built 904 transmission. It has 39.5 IROK radials with a Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear running 5:38s. That was last years upgrade after not really modifying it for a decade because of time, money, and family. :p The suspension for now is a SOA with Rubicon Express springs, but after going to over Easter Jeep Safari, I found that it is now time to 4-link the rear since it was an axle hopping pig even with a traction bar. The trailer build was a great project to learn how to use the tube bender since the Jeep frame is going to be back halved with 1-3/4" tubing and coil springs. Here are some pictures from Moab

Hells Gate
IMG959954-1.jpg

Getting ready to run Poison Spider Mesa
IMG_20120407_193035.jpg

Since I we are kind of off topic, and the fact the Jeep isn't real practical for driving down the highway/interstate, my plans are to build a receiver hitch off that back of this trailer so I can pull them both at the same time. When I don't need the Jeep to go along, then I can just pull it behind the truck. I'll be sure to add pictures to this thread for anyone else interested in doing the same.
IMG_20120404_150856.jpg

My other project that will pull the off road trailer around, hopefully sooner rather then later. Unfortunately this trailer project is eating up any free time and money! :sombrero:
IMG_20110601_194637.jpg

skibum315

Explorer
Cool FC ... would love to see a documented build up, when you get to it.

Nice job on the trailer build ... the attention to detail is showing.

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
Thanks. I fell in love with that FC back when I first saw it around 2000. When the city finally told the guy he needed to get rid of some vehicles, I was lucky enough to pick it up for a great price. I've got a build thread started on another site but there's not much added to it yet.

http://www.nebraska4x4.org/index.php?topic=767.0

The thought of pulling the trailer around with the FC is almost too much excitement for me to handle. :p If someone wants to donate about 10k or nominate me for the show "OverHaulin", I would be all for it. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior