New Guy Trailer Build Thread

pixelcodex

Observer
Let me start by commending you for the build thread. It is looking better and better!
Why does somebody with some obvious skills start with a Harbor Freight trailer when you can likely build a better one from scratch? The only thing I can think of is it might be easier to register? On that note, can you end up with a solid/good trailer starting from a HF one? Thanks.

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
I appreciate the compliments and input.

I guess what it all honestly comes down to is that I have zero experience with building a trailer and have seen others go the same route as what I am doing. Seeing many threads on here now, it is pretty obvious that I could have save some money building my own frame, and one that would have been stronger, but I figure these things-

1. The 2000 lb axle far exceeds any weight the trailer will be hauling.
2. It will be nice having a title in hand when it needs to be licensed.
3. The cargo area with the sides was a nice feature since the whole plan was to support everything off of the cage. Everything like the inverter, gas, water, and air could be sealed with the RTT being supported by the cage itself which should be solid as can be.
4. Having welded up all points possible on the frame to go along their bolt together kit, I see no reason why the frame itself won't be solid.
5. It was the easiest route to go for a project that got out of hand real quick. :D

I hope those are legit reasons, but I know exactly where you are coming from now. There are still some things that are going to be trial and error the first time it is hauled down the road and used for a weekend. Those concerns are tongue length and suspension. I'm going back and forth on whether to redo the tongue so it is longer and clears my trucks tailgate or corners at a 90 degree pivot. It really wouldn't be hard to do other then grinding all the welds and unbolting it. My concern with the suspension is that it will be too stiff, but having it too soft is on my mind too. Again, with zero experience with trailers, it was simply easy enough to buy the springs, suspension kit and axle since they were all compatible with each other. When the Jeep gets 4 linked in the rear, those springs would fit under there real nice along with full sized shackles, but then the fender height might need to be adjusted. I honestly do appreciate the input and am hoping to make more progress some time this week.

bunger

Adventurer
... nominate me for the show "OverHaulin", I would be all for it. :sombrero:

Sorry, but Foose would ruin that FC.
You wouldn't be towing much with only 3" ground clearance and rollin on 20's with rubber band tires after he got thru with it.

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
True, but at least that could be changed pretty easy. :)

I've actually got a day to work on this!!! I'll post pictures up later.

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
Other taillight matched up and tacked into place.
2012-05-30_17-42-30_198.jpg

The little 4" pieces are made up and tacked in too, but the welder is almost out of gas so the finish welding won't be started until everything that needs to be welded is tacked into place.

I got the holes drilled to run wiring for the lights and put the grommet in to make sure it would work.
2012-05-30_14-41-48_427.jpg

Since it runs down the main hoop, all wires will be hidden and come out on the back side of the frame. A grommet will be used once it is painted and the wires ran.
2012-05-30_14-41-59_359.jpg

After much thought and frustration, this is what I was able to come up with for a front table. I wanted the sides to be at a 45 degree for easy access since the tongue is in the way.
2012-05-30_21-55-44_111.jpg

It pivots off of tabs
2012-05-30_21-55-55_554.jpg

Most of the frustration was from what angle to pivot it since the table was made to fit the space down to the trailer, but how it pivoted wasn't to my liking. Then it all came to me. :sombrero: I've been worried about rock chips on the tailgate of my new truck for when this gets pulled down a gravel road, so in theory this made sense.......just angle the table to keep rocks from bouncing directly back towards the truck. It is tabbed off the front of the table and to the frame, and then will have a tab lined up and welded to the trailer jack with some sort of quick release pin for when the table needs to be used. I'm leanings towards a mesh skin at this point too.
2012-05-30_23-31-31_362.jpg

2012-05-30_21-55-44_111.jpg

After doing some calculations, the tongue is getting swapped out for a longer one. The thinking on it is so it clears the truck bed at a 90 degree turn and will aloow for the RTT to be parallel with the truck when folded out, which then gives a nice little area to sit with some protection in case it was windy. That and I would hate to jack knife the trailer into my truck. :)

The angled table lines up with with the rest of the flow of the trailer too looking at it from the front.
2012-05-30_23-31-43_692.jpg

I've got another free day in the garage so hopefully more progress can be made today.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
You are mad with the bender!
The build is beyond awesome!
I can't wait to see it in paint.
Like the table.

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
Why thank you. :)

Tongue length before...
2012-06-01_15-03-04_108.jpg

See ya...
2012-06-01_15-35-39_22.jpg

After with the tongue jack welded into place and the tabs added for the table. I went with 3'6" from the box to the cutoff point. For what i am using it for, it shouldn't be too long, and if it is, I can always break out the cutoff wheel again. :elkgrin:
2012-06-01_17-30-02_574.jpg

All I have to do now is get a 1/2" quick release pin of some sort to pivot the table up and down.

Up...
2012-06-01_20-35-30_199.jpg

Down...
2012-06-01_20-35-51_35.jpg

These gussets were to be added to the tongue jack on each side, but I conveniently ran out of wire and gas at about the same time.
2012-06-01_20-36-30_304.jpg

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
Today I fixed something that I had previously noticed that was bothering me. Apparently the spreader bar between the main hoop had drooped just a little from either the span, or had moved when the lower supports were welded in. I'm thinking it was the last since I specifically remember eyeballing down them while adding the supports, so the easiest fix was to grind the lower welds on the fenders loose and jack it up to where it needed to be. A center piece was added to support the upper bar too.
2012-06-03_14-53-52_936.jpg

Once everything was put in place, I added the inner fender to help carry the load. I debated making it go lower but wanted to tie it directly into cage work. The old floor came in handy once again to make a pattern.
2012-06-03_14-54-03_27.jpg

2012-06-03_15-32-16_97.jpg

Once that was done, all of the fenders were trimmed to match, with the inner side of the fender getting rounded off too.
2012-06-03_19-11-40_940.jpg

2012-06-03_19-11-54_642.jpg

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
Santa dropped off some goodies yesterday.
2012-06-07_21-07-36_534.jpg

After checking out my options, this should be a pretty slick setup. When up, they are completely tucked into the box area, but do hang down 5"-6". The frame is going to be plated so the sleeves can be welded directly to it, and the floor will simply just have to be notched around them.
2012-06-07_21-04-04_451.jpg

2012-06-07_21-05-28_924.jpg

When down, it will give me the adjustment of 4"-5". You can see the amount at the top of the stabilizer where it is fully extended. I may cheat it up some though but don't want to shorten them so much that they need to be blocked. Plus I only have a few inches to spare before they come into contact with the lid of the box.
2012-06-07_21-06-15_604.jpg

A 1/2" hitch pin should work real good for the front table.
2012-06-07_20-58-13_90.jpg

Plans were to add some ammo boxes to the sides, but that has changed. The one I currently have will sit nicely under the table.
2012-06-07_19-53-21_426.jpg

Walmart had the handy BBQ grill set for around $13.
2012-06-07_19-53-41_540.jpg

It fits real nice into where the cooking area is going to be.
2012-06-07_19-53-56_740.jpg

Last but not least, the new tires were bought today and mounted on the wheels I had previously painted up. After searching on craigslist and finding a few options, I figured it was best to spend a little extra money to have new, especially since a thousand dollar investment is sitting unprotected if something bad were to happen going down the road. It changed the look a ton.
2012-06-07_19-38-41_908.jpg

The width is perfect now too for the axle and fenders.
2012-06-07_19-54-41_185.jpg

Here is a good picture of the tongue length now. It is WAY thicker then the HF tongue and about a foot longer which clears the corner of my truck when turned at a 90 degree.
2012-06-07_19-49-56_367.jpg

Tomorrow I will be picking up a refilled bottle for the welder, so hopefully some more progress is made before the RTT arrives. Oh yeah, that was supposed to be here tomorrow (technically today), but Bass Pro Shops and Tepui Tents had some communication problems so it won't get shipped out until the beginning of next week. That is typical luck for me, but at least I was able to talk to Tepui directly to figure out what the delay was. Being that I am not done with the trailer yet, it is no big deal other then I keep having dreams about the tent! :sombrero:

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
Not at all. Since I am on my phone it is just easiest to say to check the bottom of page 1 of this thread. Mark Harley was kind enough to give me the heads up and post the link there. If you don't like using Ebay like me, you can call them direct too since their number is posted on the link too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne