Component manufacturer stocking parts...how long

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I stripped about half the splines on my non drive side crank arm (due to my own installation error of leaving out one spacer)...the crank is an XTR m970 (last generation) and I am having trouble sourcing a replacement crankarm....
My LBS said they can't get them anymore from shimano which I was surprised as this crank is only a few years old. Do bike component manufacturers not stock parts like automobiles?
I know they randomly show up on EBAY but I need the crank in service for a race in three week...and google has only turned up "out of stock"
Thanks
Matt

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
Shimano is notorious for pulling that. I just checked one of our major part distributors and they only have (2) 170mm in stock. 175s have been discontinued.

Good luck.
-Chris

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Thanks Chris...yeah good luck is right...I have been on the phone with shimano, bikes shops all over AZ, etc...looks like my only options are used 250.00 cranks on ebay (which gives me some "used" chainrings and a drive spider I don't need) or a new one for 500.00 bucks...
Most likely will break down and buy a new one for piece of mind and demote this one...
I have long since realized why I often feel like my land cruiser hobby is cheaper than my bike fetish...ugh

4x4mike

Adventurer
It's not so much a Shimano thing, all the manufactures do the same thing. The component market changes so much there isn't much market in stocking old, single parts. In some instances 'small parts' are available, like freehubs, single cogs for cassettes, chain rings, etc.

Retail price on that non drive side is probably more than you'd think. Shimano isn't going to make a ton because shops won't buy and stock it. I worked in a large chain shop for 9 years and we wouldn't even do it and we would buy all kinds of stuff.

My local Craigslist has random crank arms on it often, just one side. I'm not sure why, maybe people are damaging them but it's weird. After some time it's easier to get the new model part or look for complete NOS.

Again the market changes so much. Look at just Shimano cranks present day and 10 years ago. 10 years ago the big thing was 9 speed and all kinds of different crank arms lengths (My first 9 speed XT Hollowtech crank was a 177.5mm). Now it's more about 10 speed cranks (especially in XTR) and compact drives (2 rings) and different gear combos for 29'ers.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I agree with 4x4, this is not a shimano thing and it's by no means a new thing. If anything, Shimano is usually pretty good about keeping older technology hanging around a while. For example, the latest technology is placed in XTR and Dura Ace. Once it arrives there, that same technology is then offered in subsequent years (usually two to three) in the lower groups. As that new technology trickles down, the old technology gets more hard to find. So, once a particular technology is "last year" it really has a few years before it's gone.

This is just complicated as what you're looking for is half a crank.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Well I would prefer not to buy a full crank as the price is the same as the "new" tech...
My LBS called me back yesterday and told me shimano plans on getting 175mm crank arms in 2-3 weeks...I won't be holding my breath

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles