Tasmania - a month to explore

ColinJ

For our honeymoon we are heading to Tasmania for approximately 3 weeks, Sydney for a few days, then Samoa. (We are from Canada)

We are going to be renting a 4wd camper in Tasmania for the whole time and have found the guide that gives a few off-road routes and camping spots. Any suggestions on things not to miss? We are not leaving for another 7 months but figure we'd start asking the questions now.

We love hiking, biking and kayaking

We don't plan to make a huge agenda just want to make sure we don't miss anything critical

(Wish I could bring the Jeep)

Colin

larcie

If you're doing Tassie, Don't miss the West Coast.
From the North west corner down to Strahan.
great scenery and the tracks can be very adventurous, especially if its wet.
Balfour track,
Montezuma Falls,
Zeehan mining museuum.
Harbour cruise out of Strahan, is a must do for the scenery and history.

Enjoy Tassie

We did

Landroverholic

Observer
Hi Colin

Good to hear you will be renting a 4WD.

Suggestions;

Drive Western Explorer and stop in at Corinna (As suggested Balfour track is fun-unless its been very wet as you may drown your camper)

Strathgordon Dam and surrounds

Mountain bike decent on Mt Wellington in Hobart- you can hire bikes

Climb Cradle Mountain

Camp by Lake StClair

Visit Wine Glass Bay at Freycinet Peninsula

Bat trip to Peppermint Bay from Hobart

Take car ferry to Bruny Island

The list is endless actually!!

Have fun

Callum

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Was this thread called " Tasmania- a month to explore "?????

Maybe that should be "Tasmania - a month left to explore" !!!!

Did anyone read The Australian this morning......big article on the planned closure of more than half the 4wd tracks in Tassie as of the 1st of July. Apparantly the Greens and Labor are hitting it hard, particularly in the North West and most of the tracks facing closure are in that area. Looks like that area's going to be a real political issue again (remember the Franklin Dam issue) and the Libs are already saying they'll re-open tracks if elected.

BTW lived up there near Montezuma Falls for a year some time ago .....what an awesome part of the country....obviously there will be some very divided opinions about this......those that want to get access to it, those that want it preserved, those that want to make a dollar out of it, etc, etc. I certainly don't want to be told I can't go back .

Regards John.

Last edited:

Landroverholic

Observer
Sad but true!!

However as with anywhere there are always some who spoil it for others and have absolutely no respect for the land they have access too. I have had multiple trips down the West Coast of Tas and been hugely disappointed by others out for supposed 'vehicle based recreation'.

Same story anywhere really I guess. Look at the UK for example. Days of driving 'green lanes' are nearly over.

However this is not a political rant. The West Coast is a beautiful, wild and rugged place - as John says - see it while you can.

Callum

tacr2man

Adventurer
You will find Tassie very compact , so plenty of walking about will help you extend the interest driving for 3 weeks and you will probably meet yourself coming back the other way !!! Some of the tourist hot spots eg the prison are pretty expensive !!! A lot of the architecture is "old england " nearly every little place has something of interest, its about the best part of Australia on a per square mile basis JMHO So enjoy

Oldnevin

Bih Hello From Tasmania

Hello there :)

You must not miss the Southern Most Point of Tasmania.
Cockle Creek. Free camping only Drop Loo,s and no fire wood or water. You will need to be seldf reliant for at least two days.
Whilst you are down there Goto Hastings Caves and The Thermal pools. Amazing as well as the Southern most Point In Australia :)

When you are here drop me a TXT will be more than happy to give you a base in Hobart to Replenish water, Laundry and vehicle Care as well as a Couple of Cold ones. :)

My Names Tim Austin
Contact 0457109593.
You are in for a real Treat in Tasmaia.
Check out the local tasmanian Devils and maybe a Devil Jet boat Ride in Huonville B4 you go down the coast through Franklin, Geevston 4 coffee and local pastries and bread, maybe the tahune Airwalk MUST. :) :) :).
Look forward to catching up in a Face to Face?

Cheers gadgets AKA Tim

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
For our honeymoon we are heading to Tasmania for approximately 3 weeks, Sydney for a few days, then Samoa. (We are from Canada)

We are going to be renting a 4wd camper in Tasmania for the whole time and have found the guide that gives a few off-road routes and camping spots. Any suggestions on things not to miss? We are not leaving for another 7 months but figure we'd start asking the questions now.

We love hiking, biking and kayaking

We don't plan to make a huge agenda just want to make sure we don't miss anything critical

(Wish I could bring the Jeep)

Colin

Colin,
Late to the party here. Great to hear you and your future better half will be coming to Australia for a visit. I've got a few decent articles of what to check out in Tasmania. Let me have a read and get back to you.

Bring your Jeep! Leave that at home and get yourself a Toyota or Nissan for the Aussie bush. Better chance of getting home, that is unless you plan on getting stuck and using that as an excuse to stay longer. Not so sure the better half will enjoy that though...:sombrero:

See you in December.
Cheers,
P

Brendon Mills

Also take a drive up to the top of Jacobs Ladder in the Ben Lomond national park.
And check out the wood carving wall at Derwent Bridge next to Lake Saint Clair.
And be pre paired for the tight twisting roads and up and down throught the mountains.
We spent 3 weeks traveling throught Tassie and it blew us away, would have easily stayed another 3 weeks but can always go back again as we are only from West Australia.

bptp7270

Adventurer
Hi there,

3 weeks is not a long time in Tassie, so my advice would be to not try and see the whole island, but rather pick some things that you shouldn't miss and enjoy the drive. I am guessing that you would be over here around November so weather should be quite mild and it is not school holidays yet(late Dec). MONA in the south is a must see and although Port Arthur is expensive, it is certainly a unique experience, particularly the night tour. If you like some light bush walking then Cradle mountain and Frecinet are worth the effort. Boat trips to Peppermint bay in the south and Gordon river from Strahan are also must do's. Very friendly old fashioned place where the police let you off with a warning for first minor speeding offences. Stop at every bakery that you go past and you will not be disapointed. The main advice we give to our tourists is that distances in Tassie are deceptive on a map, because the narrow winding aspect of the roads and the closeness of the sights makes travel very slow. Also, if you want to see a proper view of a platypus, don't miss the Platypus attraction at Beauty Point

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke