Heavy Duty Bumpers for Expedition/Overland Use: Practical Necessity or Superfluous an

01tundra

Explorer
For me it was a mixed decision. I wanted to build up my truck, but keep it as light as possible.

My rear bumper hung down and the separate receiver hitch hung even lower and was extremely heavy, so I built a rear bumper that was lighter, added tons of ground clearance, added a little bed side protection and could still handle towing light loads.

For the front, I wanted a winch, but wanted to maintain a close-to-stock appearance, so I designed a hidden winch mount and kept the front bumper as factory as possible.

It all seems like a good trade off for what I do with my truck.

RearBumper-2.jpg

cooper1_zps7303d32f.jpg

eatthepeach

Observer
MIne are on to reduce approach and departure angles, support my winch, provide secure jacking and recovery points and provide protection to the truck should I slide into a hill or tree that happened to jump out in front of me! :)
It is worth remembering that stock bumpers are also there to try to avoid damage to pedestrians as awell as provide a crumply bit when you hit someone else

After reading the first 13 pages of this thread I found it extremely refreshing to come across someone who expressed concern for the well-being of those around him when discussing the matter at hand, as unfashionable as it seems to be.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
For me it was a mixed decision. I wanted to build up my truck, but keep it as light as possible.

My rear bumper hung down and the separate receiver hitch hung even lower and was extremely heavy, so I built a rear bumper that was lighter, added tons of ground clearance, added a little bed side protection and could still handle towing light loads.

For the front, I wanted a winch, but wanted to maintain a close-to-stock appearance, so I designed a hidden winch mount and kept the front bumper as factory as possible.

It all seems like a good trade off for what I do with my truck.

RearBumper-2.jpg

cooper1_zps7303d32f.jpg

Looks awesome. I would add a pre runner bar and a couple of lights for added nighttime useability! other than that its money!

01tundra

Explorer
Looks awesome. I would add a pre runner bar and a couple of lights for added nighttime useability! other than that its money!

Thanks.

That would kind of defeat the whole intent of building a capable vehicle that still retains as much of a stock appearance as possible. It would have been easier for me to fabricate a custom front bumper, but that wasn't the goal for me on this one.

I had two Lightforce Striker HID's on the front of my Tundra for years, and before that another set of HID's. Over the 10 year span I used them maybe three or four times. I've had aftermarket lights on all of my vehicles over the years, they look pretty but didn't get much use. I don't see the return in spending that much money on something that I've never seen "needed". I upgraded the wiring harness for my factory headlights and they are pretty bright. I prefer to drive in the daylight anyways, it's safer and I can take in all the scenery :sombrero:

TurboChris

Adventurer
Sorry but I don't buy for a second that bumpers have been designed with "avoiding damage to pedestrians" in mind. In fact....in talking to my brother who was a LEO for 30 years.....he stated that the vast majority of vehicle vrs pedestrian accidents that he saw the damage tended to be grill / hood / windshield. Not bumper.

MIne are on to reduce approach and departure angles, support my winch, provide secure jacking and recovery points and provide protection to the truck should I slide into a hill or tree that happened to jump out in front of me! :)
It is worth remembering that stock bumpers are also there to try to avoid damage to pedestrians as awell as provide a crumply bit when you hit someone else

TurboChris

Adventurer
Here's mine.......and the result of a 10 mph hit on a snowy road by a Jeep.

DSCN0451.jpg

Not good for his truck.

I glanced at my truck....and wow.

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

doug720

Expedition Leader
Sorry but I don't buy for a second that bumpers have been designed with "avoiding damage to pedestrians" in mind. In fact....in talking to my brother who was a LEO for 30 years.....he stated that the vast majority of vehicle vrs pedestrian accidents that he saw the damage tended to be grill / hood / windshield. Not bumper.

There lots of rules and laws about bumper design and vehicle design is changing because of it. In some country's, it is illegal to change bumpers! Nearly all industry is heading to "World Design" of their products, so who knows what the future will bring?

Here are a few from a quick search.

Pedestrian safety through vehicle design - Wikipedia, the free ...
en.wikipedia.org/.../Pedestrian_safety_through_vehicle_desig...‎
Wikipedia
These involve redesigning the bumper, hood (bonnet), and the windshield and pillar to be energy absorbing (softer) without compromising the structural integrity ...
‎Anatomy of a pedestrian crash - ‎Reducing pedestrian injuries - ‎Trams - ‎See also
Improving Pedestrian Safety Through Vehicle Design -- Edmunds.com
www.edmunds.com › ... › Family and Car Safety‎
Edmunds.com
Sep 21, 2007 - Car safety isn't just about protecting vehicle occupants. ... vehicle hits a pedestrian who is crossing the street, the vehicle's bumper and the front ...
Techsplanations: Pedestrian Safety Design - AOL Autos
autos.aol.com/article/techsplanations-pedestrian-safety-design/‎
AOL
Dec 6, 2013 - (Pickups and SUVs often do poorly in pedestrian safety testing because of their bigger bumpers and higher front ends cause more impact on a ...
Will Pedestrian-Safety Laws Kill the Beautiful Car? | Autopia | Wired ...
www.wired.com/autopia/2007/11/will-pedestrian/‎
Wired
by Matthew Phenix - in 38 Google+ circles
Nov 19, 2007 - Pedestrian safety isn't necessarily the first topic that comes to mind after ... walker is clipped, a sensor strip mounted within the bumper sets off a ...
[PDF]
Current Trends in Bumper Design for Pedestrian Impact
www.autosteel.org/~/media/.../Bumpers/bumpers_schuster_sae_paper.pdf‎
by PJ Schuster - ‎2006 - ‎Cited by 19 - ‎Related articles
involving a deploying bumper or lower stiffener. INTRODUCTION. Pedestrian-vehicle accidents are a globally recognized safety concern. Efforts toward ...
[PDF]
www.autosteel.org/.../Bumpers/bumpers_cal_poly_pedestrian_bumper_s...‎
Dec 31, 2004 - So, for most passenger vehicles, the possibilities for continued steel use in the bumper will not be affected by the addition of pedestrian safety ...
Pedestrian Protection | Euro NCAP - For safer cars crash test safety ...
www.euroncap.com/Content.../pedestrian-protection.aspx‎
Euro NCAP
Protection can be improved with pedestrian friendly bumpers, which deform when they hit a pedestrian's leg. Protection is improved if the leg is impacted low ...
Pedestrian bumper laws affecting new car design - your opinion on ...
forums.finalgear.com › Automotive Discussion › General Automotive‎
Dec 16, 2010 - 20 posts - ‎9 authors
1. do you think the laws are justified and pedestrian safety takes ... 5. or do you actually like the new trend in front bumper design and think this ...
[PDF]
digitalcommons.calpoly.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1092...fac‎
by PJ Schuster - ‎2006 - ‎Cited by 19 - ‎Related articles
involving a deploying bumper or lower stiffener. INTRODUCTION. Pedestrian-vehicle accidents are a globally recognized safety concern. Efforts toward ...
Next Post > "The Truth About Europe's Pedestrian Safety Legislation"
www.thetruthaboutcars.com/.../the-truth-about-e...‎
The Truth About Cars
Dec 13, 2007 - Why not publish pedestrian-safety ratings and let the consumer decide? ..... That Wiki link shows a Falcon with bumpers about half the size of ...

Rbertalotto

Explorer
DEER!

My Jeep Grand Cherokee was totaled by a deer hit 100 yds from my house...........Bought a Chevy PU and mounted a grill guard...Two more deer hits within two months.....not a scratch on the truck but plenty venison in the freezer!

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I'm with RoyB.

I'd also add that nobody ever plans to hit a deer/moose/cow/whatever, but that event will make you a believer in aftermarket bumpers.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Thanks.

That would kind of defeat the whole intent of building a capable vehicle that still retains as much of a stock appearance as possible. It would have been easier for me to fabricate a custom front bumper, but that wasn't the goal for me on this one.

I had two Lightforce Striker HID's on the front of my Tundra for years, and before that another set of HID's. Over the 10 year span I used them maybe three or four times. I've had aftermarket lights on all of my vehicles over the years, they look pretty but didn't get much use. I don't see the return in spending that much money on something that I've never seen "needed". I upgraded the wiring harness for my factory headlights and they are pretty bright. I prefer to drive in the daylight anyways, it's safer and I can take in all the scenery :sombrero:

Gotcha.

I use mine on a daily basis pretty well. So I look at a rig without them and think, that needs some nighttime equipment! ha ha!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior