Question about OME Coil Springs

ExpoGeorgia

Observer
Would a set of OME springs give my FZJ80 any lift with the stock (but new) Toyota shocks? I would just like an inch to an inch and a half of lift for more clearance with 33's. From experiance how would the ride, handling, and body role be? Anyone have pictures of just the springs and stock or aftermarket shocks on their 80?

I plan to put them on a 94 FZJ80 I purchased for a steal

yohavos

If your 94 has the stock springs on it, then any aftermarket springs, to include OME's "Zero Lift" springs are going to lift your truck a bit. Coils sag, and yours are 18 years old.

Coil spacers are the most exact way to get the amount of lift you're looking for, but your ride will only improve as much as the shocks you purchase help it, unless you're riding on your bump stops.

OME springs feel much better than tired stock springs. My seat of the pants assessment was that the truck felt much more planted, even in corners. I am running the 2.5" lift with a spacer up front with my 33's (285/75R16's) and if I were to do it over again I might consider just running the 0" lift with the same tire size. I would expect that to lift have lifted my truck roughly an inch or so, right around the height you're talking about.

You really don't need a lift to run 33's on these.

==
Mike

Last edited:

ExpoGeorgia

Observer
If your 94 has the stock springs on it, then any aftermarket springs, to include OME's "Zero Lift" springs are going to lift your truck a bit. Coils sag, and yours are 18 years old.

Coil spacers are the most exact way to get the amount of lift you're looking for, but your ride will only improve as much as the shocks you purchase help it, unless you're riding on your bump stops.

OME springs feel much better than tired stock springs. My seat of the pants assessment was that the truck felt much more planted, even in corners. I am running the 2.5" lift with a spacer up front with my 33's (285/75R16's) and if I were to do it over again I might consider just running the 0" lift with the same tire size. I would expect that to lift have lifted my truck roughly an inch or so, right around the height you're talking about.

You really don't need a lift to run 33's on these.

==
Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike! I understand I don't need a lift to run 33's but I'd like more fender clearance from the tires plus it makes the tires look not as cramped under the fenders. Do you have a picture of the set up?

yohavos

I've got tons of em around but here are some recents that give a pretty good idea of how it sits. Front/Rear:

IMG_0395.JPG

IMG_0425.jpg

Street shot, but she's dirty from camping. Notice from certain angles 33's look a bit small with even this mild lift, while they look great at others. I like the tire size, but many run 315's. I have no intention of stepping up, but as I said, if I were to do it over again I might consider the OME 0" springs:

IMG_0423.JPG

OME suspensions are designed to provide additional lift in the rear of vehicles, which is why I like the option of using a spacer up front to level off the rig. Even with the mediums I netted around 3" of lift in the rear. With the mediums up front and a 1" spacer, the truck sits level while loaded.

An outstanding resource is Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. He's got lift calculators and tons of experience with these trucks, and is active here on ExPo.

==
Mike

2 E L O

Adventurer
I have the OME stock height springs...which ended up raising the truck 2" from where it was resting on the stock springs from 1996 with 160k miles on them. I run 33" (285/75-16) Goodyear Duratracs and Bilstein 4600 shocks.

Here's a before/after:
HeightComparison.jpg

This is a shot 3 months after the new springs/shocks were installed...not much settling:
IMAG0423.jpg

The ride with the stock springs and shocks was terrifying...very unstable. The new ride is MUCH better. The Bilsteins are a bit harsh, but I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me at all.

ExpoGeorgia

Observer
2 E L O: that Lx looks amazing! I didn't think the OME Zero lift would yield 2 inches of lift. I'm thinking about gettng these instead with some different shocks and 33 inch tires but I'm not sure how much clearace I'd have with the side step.

Also how do you like your Duratracs?

2 E L O

Adventurer
2 E L O: that Lx looks amazing! I didn't think the OME Zero lift would yield 2 inches of lift. I'm thinking about gettng these instead with some different shocks and 33 inch tires but I'm not sure how much clearace I'd have with the side step.

Also how do you like your Duratracs?
Thank you! But remember, the 2" of lift is over the saggy 160k miles springs. I'm guessing that the height with the OME zero lift springs is actually pretty close to (maybe just slightly above) where the height was when the truck was new and left the factory.

Different shocks will not affect riding height.

The DuraTracs are incredible. They're very mild mannered on the street and they perform great in all sorts of conditions. I wouldn't trade them for any other tire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior