Info on standard IRLP and IRLP Reflector use.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
bc_fjc said:
If you are using 100W VHF you should be able to make contact if you are in a higher area... I have connected several times from about that distance when on the trail.

Indeed you are right. I was at a higher elevation last Wednesday night and tried and hit the repeater without trouble.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I need a little more help with IRLP

So when you are connected to the node will any person using the repeater be going thru the IRLP connection? Also after I enter the node# once I can just transmit normally until finished and then disconnect?

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
That's correct - everyone who's on the repeater is connected to the node. You are the "controlling operator", and are responsible for disconecting the node.

MossMan

Adventurer
crawler#976 said:
My personal policy is as follows:

I usually key up and say: "KE7IXX would like to access the IRPL node in appoximately 60 seconds. Is there any outstanding traffic on this repeater?"

I listen for the full minute, and if it's clear, say:

"This is KE7IXX controlling IRPL Node (XXXX) in (XXXXXXXX)" and while still transmitting type in the node number and then release the key.

i'm guessing the blue would be the physical location?

crawler#976 said:
After the node connects, pause and listen for traffic on the node freq. When clear, make your call.

So once I'm controlling the node on my local repeater, how do I connect to 9251? or "make the call"?

Last edited:

Cabrito

I come in Peace
MossMan said:
So once I'm controlling the node on my local repeater, how do I connect to 9251? or "make the call"?

I was confused about this until I tried it. You will punch in 9251 while you are keying the mic and you will connect directly to the reflector thru your local IRLP repeater-

And yes the blue was your location.

MossMan

Adventurer
Cabrito said:
I was confused about this until I tried it. You will punch in 9251 while you are keying the mic and you will connect directly to the reflector thru your local IRLP repeater-

And yes the blue was your location.

Ok. So I tune into my local repeater frequency; check for traffic and state my intentions; key up and punch in the node #; then once I'm controlling that node - key in the 9251 #, and that's it.

I'm going to make some test runs when I can. Thanks for the help.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
MossMan said:
Ok. So I tune into my local repeater frequency; check for traffic and state my intentions; key up and punch in the node #; then once I'm controlling that node - key in the 9251 #, and that's it.

I'm going to make some test runs when I can. Thanks for the help.

No that is not it. That is what I thought at first but it's not how it worked for me.
I tune to the local repeater - check for traffic and state my intentions - then Key up punch in 9251 and then that repeater is patched to the reflector -

The local node# for a repeater is what you punch in if you are trying to get to it from another repeater thru IRLP. Or so I understand -

BogusBlake

2006 Expedition Trophy Champion
Cabrito said:
No that is not it. That is what I thought at first but it's not how it worked for me.
I tune to the local repeater - check for traffic and state my intentions - then Key up punch in 9251 and then that repeater is patched to the reflector -

The local node# for a repeater is what you punch in if you are trying to get to it from another repeater thru IRLP. Or so I understand -

yep.

You don't dial your local node number- only the number of the node you're connecting to.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
MossMan said:
i'm guessing the blue would be the physical location?

Correct, the blue would be the location of the node you are controlling. IE: "This is KE7IXX controlling IRPL Node 9251 on the Western Reflector."

MossMan said:

By typing in the node number on the mike keypad while transmitting.

Mark

MossMan

Adventurer
Do I need to do anything about tones? I'm assuming I need to hit the "internet" button on the radio before typing the code? Sorry for the newb questions. I am reading the manual before I try it.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Mossman, what kind of radio are you using? I might be able to help you with the programming steps if it's one I'm familiar with.

You don't need the internet button - that's only there if you are setting up your own node at home.

The only tone you need is for your local repeater. Your local node, #4873, on the frequency 145.43 requires a tone of 107.20 to operate properly. When you set up your radio to transmit on that repeater you need to set the ENC menu to 107.20 so that the transmitter will pass your call thru.

Mark

MossMan

Adventurer
I'm using and ft-2800. I've got the repeater dialed in with the correct tone so it sounds like I should be in good shape.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Great! You're ready for the net meeting! Give it a test prior - you might not hear anything on 9251, so try 9250 instead.

MossMan

Adventurer
I just gave it a test run and it tells me something like, "you're not allowed make calls" or "that node is not receiving calls." :( I can't remember which. I sent an email to the owner of the repeater yesterday to make sure it's ok to try and access the node but haven't heard back yet. Do you normally need an access code or something?

Cabrito

I come in Peace
MossMan said:
I just gave it a test run and it tells me something like, "you're not allowed make calls" or "that node is not receiving calls." :( I can't remember which. I sent an email to the owner of the repeater yesterday to make sure it's ok to try and access the node but haven't heard back yet. Do you normally need an access code or something?

were you punching in the repeaters local node or the 9251 node?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste