Unobtanium

ab1985

Explorer
I'm a new 80 series owner, and as I research the changes I want to make to this new-to-me truck I run across different items that were never or are no longer available for 80's in the U.S. I'm curious what kind of products those with more experience would like to see available here. If you could snap your fingers and have it in the mail, what would it be?

Personally, I love the European camper conversions. That's a little too custom to be feasible. What about roof racks, storage systems, bumpers, gas tanks.... if the sky is the limit what would you wish for?

Sempertoy

Explorer
Well as far as the camper goes, there is one in the works, check out the campteq post above yours.

As for the list? Well obviously a 1HD-T would be awesome. I would like the center console with a cooler built in like the jap spec trucks. There is a overhead console that is pretty cool with built in inclomiter and also room for a ham radio. Bigger/dual fuel tanks are on the list as well. Thats really all I can think of for now, but I'm sure the list is much longer.

As far as accessories I would like the TJM electric locker, and split rims would also be pretty sweet.

Obviously a diesel and a 5spd are #1 and #2.
I used to be enamored of split rims, but on my new Proffitt's HZJ79 pickup I am going to go with 1 piece tubeless 16X6" rims and 8.25R16 XZLs. I had split rims on our BJ60 and while driving down the Alcan one time a tube chafed on the rim and a rapid deflation occurred. Tubed tires run significantly hotter than tubeless. And if a tubeless puncture can't be fixed with a plug it is probably too bad to keep the tire. Yes, splits are good for field tire changes; that's about it. The perfect split rim is a 3 piece tubeless - not available except for big 20" rims like Unimogs.

Charlie

Douglas S.

Adventurer
I love my center console fridge/freezer. That'd be a cool swap into a north american spec truck. 1HD-T or 1HD-FT swap would be cool too, but you'd be looking at a pretty serious investment for that.

86tuning

Adventurer
rear a/c for the kids in the back. And better fuel economy. 1uz $wap would prolly take care of that though...

The trick is to keep the investment low enought that you can still go drive the thing. Some buildups are so spectacular that they make the rig too expensive to take out in the woods, IMO. And that's a bloody shame.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I love my center console fridge/freezer. That'd be a cool swap into a north american spec truck. 1HD-T or 1HD-FT swap would be cool too, but you'd be looking at a pretty serious investment for that.

Do the fridge/cooler combos work well?...I had an 87 toyota van with the center console fridge freezer combo and little ice trays but that anemic 4 banger couldn't keep the ac cold enough to freeze anything...kept my road sodies cold though

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Do the fridge/cooler combos work well?...I had an 87 toyota van with the center console fridge freezer combo and little ice trays but that anemic 4 banger couldn't keep the ac cold enough to freeze anything...kept my road sodies cold though

So that begs the question: Is the van console fridge the same as the JDM 80 series fride? Given the frugality of Mr T., I would bet some parts are at least the same.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
That is a good question...I am currently trying to mod in a fridge center console in my 80...
On the foreign spec'd trucks with a cooler was it forward of the shifter/trans case lever...this is where it was in the old usa vans but I don't think there would be room with the usa 80 shifter location

Douglas S.

Adventurer
That is a good question...I am currently trying to mod in a fridge center console in my 80...
On the foreign spec'd trucks with a cooler was it forward of the shifter/trans case lever...this is where it was in the old usa vans but I don't think there would be room with the usa 80 shifter location

It's between the two seats, rearward of the gear selector and transfer case lever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior