$6.00 Hood blackout.

Sempertoy

Explorer
On a lighter note over here in the landcruiser section...

I have been debating for a long time what to do with my hood.

48111e52-1.jpg

I had almost settled on just rattle canning it flat black even though I didn't really want to. And then I saw someone post in the tacoma section that they had done this. I used a product called Plasti dip, it comes in pints and spray cans at home depot.

This a great link to watch before trying at home

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kBWaSDmj0g

So on to the project. Here is the product.

0842e3b6.jpg

Some prep work

6452e463.jpg

One can's worth of plasti dip

dbdd2b65.jpg

And my "finished" product. I would still like to go over it a few more times and even everything out, but thats all I had time for.

5a243567.jpg

52feba42.jpg

Douglas S.

Adventurer
Plasti-dip is great stuff. I picked up a case the last time I was in the states. If I can even find it up here, it's $20.99/can.

I recently did my grill and all the trim around my lights with it and I'm really happy with the results.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
That looks GREAT! 80's are shaped nicely for the blackout treatment!

I would be tempted to experiment on a piece of cardboard, but I think a thin coat of spray bed liner on top of the plasti dip would help to reduce glare and give it a bit of a tactile surface. I enjoyed the Line X on my last cruiser - the slightly ruff surface was great for setting tools, maps and coffee on without worry of sliding off or blinding me in the evening. Too much texture can hold sand and snow, so less is best.

Regardless, it looks fantastic as is!

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
How did you keep the edges from peeling away unevenly during tape removal ? I tried this and scrapped the project due to this issue...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Sempertoy

Explorer
If you watch the video, the guy sprays the edges first and then peels the tape away immediately so it doesn't have time to dry in the tape. That's what I did and it worked great!

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
How did you keep the edges from peeling away unevenly during tape removal ? I tried this and scrapped the project due to this issue...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

you have to remove the tape while its still wet

the way to get the best finish from plastidip is to put down coats that are so heavy they almost run. you might have to play with it a couple times before you get the hang of it.

don't blink

That looks GREAT! 80's are shaped nicely for the blackout treatment!

I would be tempted to experiment on a piece of cardboard, but I think a thin coat of spray bed liner on top of the plasti dip would help to reduce glare and give it a bit of a tactile surface. I enjoyed the Line X on my last cruiser - the slightly ruff surface was great for setting tools, maps and coffee on without worry of sliding off or blinding me in the evening. Too much texture can hold sand and snow, so less is best.

Regardless, it looks fantastic as is!

Please do not try this. Sound like a great idea, but it causes the Plasti Dip to harden and you'll never be able to remove it. It'll eventually come off in chunks in some places and permanently stick in other places.

You're better off lining that section if that's the look you want to achieve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne