Hassyampa Run & GPS Fun Sept 07 Report

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Hassyampa Run & GPS Fun Sept 07
This run was meant to be a fun and easy romp through sand & water and to give folks a chance to compare various GPS setups in real-life use on the trail.
Well things don't always work out as planned as a number of no shows included folks who had GPS systems that we could have compared. So in the end we had my Oziexplorer & Laptop setup and Greg-viaterria's Garmin Etrex to compare...of course I kept Greg & everyone else busy playing with Ozi so we didn't spend much time with the Etrex...sorry Greg.
I do want to say thank to the members of expeditionportal.com as we had excellent attendence from that crowd...plus they are just good folks.
The Hassyampa was in great form...just enough water to splash and romp in, just enough mud to slip and slide in but not too much of either to make you really worry about getting stuck. The temps were bearable as long as you had shade and our picnic lunch was fun.
Thanks to Perry-woodwizard who is visiting from out of state for coming on out and putting up with some Az craziness.
Thanks to Bruce & family for hanging out on the trail for us....nothing like playing in sand & water to keep the tike happy. And for leading us farther up the wash and into some great play areas.
Thanks to Greg for bringing a sweet little girl who picked up more trash than the rest of us combined.
Thanks to Jason for helping to put out the unattended campfire we came across...yes that is right on our way out we came upon a campsite (near the "secret canyon" that included enough bottles and cans to vouch for a serious party and a still burning campfire). Amazingly enough when a young man showed up claiming the camp was his we only gave him a mild talking to instead of the beating we all wished we could give. I actually believe he was impressed in his tiny barely working brain by the example we as a group set in cleaning up a random trash site we found. That is the kind of thing we as offroaders should be known for.
As far as the GPS fun went...everyone got a good idea of how much I like Oziexplorer and what I have learned to do with it...I just can't wait till I learn even more about everything it can do.
Lastly as promised here are the websites for everything I am using:
Laptop mount jeniko.com
GPS mouse semsons.com
Iguidance street navigation semsons.com
Offroad mapping oziexplorer.com
Great free map site http://datagateway.nrcs.usda.gov
Laptop panasonic toughbook CF-50 (although I might go with a smaller screen if I did it all over again)
Thanks again everyone and here are the pics:
http://blairsite.com/Gallery/album01

viatierra

Explorer
Got my mount ordered from Jenico.com... Can't wait!

I dig this one (Love the bits of goo flying around):

DSCF0774.sized.jpg

hey thats me oh yea i knew that. I clean mud out of every corner and skid plate.thanks again lance for a great planned trip. What blast it was.I love mud lots of mud i just do not want to clean it up.:wings: :wings: :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94