My Journey

Jsweezy

Explorer
Cool, thanks for the info! I look forward to starting at the beginning of this thread and seeing your journey thus far.

Mccaf.....thanks for the tip.....sounds like a plan.....

Jsweezy.....good luck with that.....

Since I was really tiring of Yuma, Arizona (not that it's a bad place), I decided to spend my time waiting on the new compressor at the Mexican border. So we drove south and set up camp (sounds good but honestly it's a Walmart) in San Luis, Arizona. I could probably write a book on camping at Walmarts, and if I did, this one would be rated in the top ten of Walmarts. It's very clean, very quite, and has beautiful views of the surrounding vegetable fields. And I like this small border town quite a bit. I mentioned previously that I'm practically the only white guy here, and when I cross the border into San Luis de Colorado, I'm usually the only white guy there.....

38C5F9CC-AE16-4DE7-971E-94CBC357B5E1.jpg

E7AFBC9C-C108-4EA9-AFEF-5CD28E076B7E.jpg

84875789-11C4-441C-8A5A-8A19E4EE024B.jpg

It's about a two plus mile walk from the Walmart parking lot to the border wall, which is really pushing it for Yukon these days as she's close to hitting the ten year old mark, but we made an early morning walk there. Since it's an agricultural town, populated by Latinos, there's this pretty cool statue of Caesar Chavez (at least that's what the plaque said) in the town park that we walked past.....

35482A0F-86D5-4F8F-8F9E-0CDB55655032.jpg There's a brass plague on the base which reads:

37A00EB7-8DB6-49A1-BE32-CA3026C4ECEC.jpg

I find things like this to be very inspiring, and as I have mentioned before, I'm so impressed with this lot of people that work so hard in the fields. It's in small towns like these where I find the friendliest and most welcoming people in all my travels. While browsing for that quote, I found this one that struck a chord with me:

0460F2C3-7224-4713-B1AE-7FE77E5C8F8C.jpg

While walking the streets of San Luis, I watched an old man on crutches searching through the trash cans for a meal. I stopped, handed him a few dollars. He leaned over and pulled his pant leg up to show me a grotesque scar up the length of his left leg. It made me stop to think.....how is it that I worry about some of my poor decisions of late when I see how really insignificant my problems are ?

Last edited:
Saturday afternoon I crossed the border and spent the day in San Luis de Colorado, Mexico. It always strikes me how odd it is that anyone can walk into Mexico, no identification required. But what a difference that return trip into the U.S. is. Anyhow, I spent the day walking the streets and interacting with the locals. One of the best spots for that is the city park, maybe ten blocks or so from the border crossing.....

F989E9E3-8986-48E5-8FD4-C109920143A5.jpg

27263A4C-F6BD-47FD-BB55-4D9D97A023B6.jpg

Of course when you cross the border, you've got to eat the local food. Street vendors are the best. The corn on the cob was pretty good.....

A14760BC-87D9-40B4-8BA7-017CACE1E548.jpg

I always bring back a bag of freshly baked breads.....

B9D674D5-9F70-4615-AC51-4C90D33DF7DB.jpg

A few more sights from my day in San Luis de Colorado, Mexico.....

FB4BF7A6-AE57-4130-A4FC-0C6BAD3F242F.jpg

DA9CFB16-7B0B-4DF6-8F46-159767AAFF3F.jpg

28FBA707-58AF-4A95-BDAF-15062586B8F6.jpeg

5DE90042-20DA-4B5B-9C17-C70696F3E2DE.jpg

There's a metal wall, maybe 20 feet high, that separates these two towns. San Luis de Colorado, Mexico, inhabited by Mexicans, seems to have maintained it's Mexican identity while San Luis, Arizona, also inhabited by Mexicans, seems to be a mix of two cultures. I don't know.....I find it interesting.....

We headed back to Yuma's Walmart Sunday afternoon since I had an appointment to get the air bag compressor system replaced on Monday (first 2 tries didn't work so well). Now I'd been staying quiet a bit at one of the Yuma Walmarts knowing darn well that it was against the town ordinance to do so. Crazy as it seems, I was actually shopping there and not over nighting when an officer issued me a warning, called in my tag number, and told me not to camp there. He did this to every RV parked in the lot.....

E9D5364C-B4AE-4905-81CF-E8253245482E.jpg

That day Walmart stock dropped nearly 10 % so is that Karma or what.....

6C54A5C9-4895-496B-B46A-F237CF65DF36.jpg

Anyhow back to the airbags.....the third compressor system was installed and I could hardly believe it when it was the worst yet. I tracked the compressor and within a 2.5 hour period, the compressor came on 26 times. Yesterday was spent at another shop (Jakd Up Kustoms) having the entire compressor system removed as I now plan to air my bags up manually from here on out (I always travel with a portable compressor).

6CF49CC5-F8B3-4FC9-BD84-AA63751E6593.jpg

Jakd Up Kustoms is one of those super cool shops.....you name it and they can do it.....they even have 2 barber chairs inside so you can get your haircut while you wait.....

D730B2EB-3C5C-42E1-9341-45B00AD03DB6.jpg

Since Walmart gave me the boot, RV World of Yuma took me in and gave me a few free nights on their grounds. I had a chance to see my Renegade on their lot.....

7D62958A-54DA-4048-9E4D-EA32F6871258.jpg

My entertainment for the past two evenings has been watching this vegetable processing plant next door.....

DBC4FC88-7E32-4D84-BF51-A18D3E021B35.jpg

It's actually really amazing to see the loads of vegetables come in from the fields on these open trucks.....

D5540613-FE4A-44BF-AE52-EE5E165B0798.jpg

From the open trucks they're immediately put into a massive cooler.....

F6A3FAC6-1E48-43A9-8A71-CDE4467F9C12.jpg

Once that's complete, they appear to go into the warehouse where it's further processed and then loaded onto the hundreds of refrigerated semis that are waiting to depart that very night (I wish I knew more but a fork lift driver told me to leave and said I wasn't allowed to take pictures. Of course I asked why not but he didn't know why I couldn't take pictures.....I'm guessing it's top secret vegetables).....

DCF46CFA-7F96-4FF3-B9B7-3F98EF36BBB8.jpg

And that's about all I know about that. We're done in Yuma.....it's time to go somewhere.....I'm feeling like the hot springs might be a good start.....

6B87EB55-0881-40F4-9786-DF0EB28597FD.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Littlehouse and yep Azken “and finally.....the Jeep !” It's been such a long haul getting back to my roots, really understanding who I am and what makes me comfortable. I've replaced the 2005 Chevrolet 2500HD with a 2018 Ford F-350, the 2005 Bigfoot 9.4 truck camper with a 2018 Northern Lite 10.2 truck camper, and.....well, honestly, as difficult as it was to get there, that was the easy part. It's the loss of Montana, filling that void with Tanner that I'll continue to struggle with.....

17546CFE-A99A-42FE-880D-490F07B3B5FA.jpg

Once again I laid my head down on my pillow with plans to wake up, drive west, soak in the hot springs, camp in the desert for a few days, maybe Mexico. I woke up, ran errands all morning and by 2:00 p.m. I was ready to finally depart Yuma. I drove east instead.....Interstate 8. I made it to Gila Bend, Arizona.....home of Little Italy.....the makers of some very, very good pizza.....the place was packed, but I endured the crowds.....

21447A2A-C216-44C5-A08B-D8227127B0A9.jpg

It was my second stop here in as many weeks. This time I browsed the memorabilia on the walls. I snapped a picture of a plaque made to remember Prince Harry's visit. If you look closely, there's a picture of his pizza in the upper right corner of the plaque.....

C1AE66C1-1D8A-4D19-9987-5B226C59E5EC.jpg

I took time to chat with the Italian staff while I waited on my take out. Really fun people and interesting to hear them banter between Italian and English.....

CB8680A4-EEE9-47D0-A94B-37FBBC7C3BDF.jpg

And another great pizza was had.....

94043E23-CE74-49CD-8C8A-88720604DCCD.jpg

I spent the next few hours wandering around Gila Bend on foot. I consumed way too much pizza. Not much happening in Gila Bend, Arizona.....just a small desert town. I'm told a retired NASA engineer restored this hotel to his likings.....

F95EEEDB-5759-4E64-88F2-0E2157550271.jpg

And then another night of boon docking. We're back on the road today.....

Last edited:

BigDawwg

-[Gettin-it Done]-
Hey there Jerry, well I've been following your progress since about 2013, or there abouts, wasn't a member then,,,, just watching "********" happening, was in Montana's Bitter-Root Valley, before coming North to Alaska in 2002, to finish out my Career. I've been doing this Overland/Outbacking,,, Boon-Docking Camping, Traveling since about the Mid-70's,,,,, mostly in the Western States,,, ie... N.Calif., Nevada, Oregon, Idaho, E.Wash., Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, and I was taking Photos with a "Polaroid" in those days, and a "Nikon" a Film loaded Type of Camera,,,,, I'm looking into having some of those "Photos" put on a "Disk" so I can Down-load accordingly, for this "Digital-Age",,,, that were in now,,,,, we'll see how all that goes, now that I'm retired. I've attached some Photos for your Viewing-Pleasure,,,, as it appears we've got a lot in common,,,, as I too, pull my Jeep CJ-7 along with me, and my Co-Pilot sits 2nd seat, when he isn't "Napping" that is.
And, as my Grand-Dad used to say, You Take Care Now & keep your Nose in the Wind, and your Eyes on the Sky-Line.
BD:safari-rig:

View attachment 436533View attachment 436534View attachment 436535

Yep BD.....we definitely have quite a bit in common and our pasts are similar in many ways.....but where's your dog picture ?

After a night spent in Gila Bend, Arizona, we were up and headed south on Route 89. I saw this garage as we were leaving town, and of course thought of XP member Park Kitchings and his travel companion.....

BCDF2252-CFB2-42EC-B975-19D9BBC5CC4D.jpg

Our next stop would be Organ Pipe National Monument just north of the border with Sonoyta, Mexico.....

C92E52FC-E5CA-4C72-A1FB-104A04C149C8.jpg

I'm really struggling with my decision regarding entering Mexico this year. The three factors that come into play are that it's so late in the season, the cost of insurance for what would probably be a six week stay, and the fact that the new truck only burns ultra clean diesel fuel (which is only available in northern Baja). So we got ourselves a spot in the park and are hanging out here for a few nights.....

A086F8AD-13B7-43A8-878E-97D2D2B15921.jpg

I took the Jeep down to the border, walked into Mexico where I grabbed a cab, and took the three mile ride into town so I could check out Sonoyta, Mexico.....

9052F12A-8AD9-4E69-BEDE-CC65D84FA7DE.jpg

Sonoyta is pretty much a dirty, little border town built at the intersection of several major roadways. I'd have to say it's probably my least favorite of all the Mexican towns I've visited.....

EA6CC16E-41AF-49D4-90ED-286AFE9D5D45.jpg

I generally enjoy grabbing something freshly cooked from a street vendor when I visit a Mexican town, but not much to be had here.....it seemed as though guys selling stuff from the back of their trucks was the norm here.....

47F5CBE2-E1F4-4B3F-A0D9-C360535BD7DC.jpg

Maybe this church was the most interesting building I saw in Sonoyta.....

4CF7DD06-3375-4B8F-9DA8-C9E6DFD6E883.jpg

Stopped in for some freshly baked bread before crossing the border once again and returning to the U.S.....

7FB85F18-1A43-4D72-AE49-3660569E479A.jpg

I had read on the internet that driving through Sonoyta is the price you must pay to reach the Sea of Cortez.....and now I understand why.....

8E22FBFD-B6AD-462D-BD56-50AAE07D567B.jpg

Last edited:

Mccaf

Adventurist
SO Jerry, if your still there....
I’ve done a lot of vacationing in Puerto Peñasco, about an hour south of you. Back in the 80’s it was a sleepy little fishing village with an American oversight from property owners growing the place. There is an enclave called los Conchas full,of concrete mansions on the outskirts of town that we would pool together and rent out. On the other side of town is the more economical Chollas Bay full of Ex pats who love it there. Back in town there is a fisherman’s market that is the best in all of Mexico that I have ever been to. If your a shrimp fan the “Big Blues” are in season now but just about everything is available...

The region also has the second largest tidal exchange in the world. You can walk out over a mile at super low tides. My disappointment is the growth of Sandy Beach with hotels to support tourism, both Mexican and Americans alike. Years ago we could pull in and flop anywhere on the beach and not see a soul. My buddy woke up one morning to find his 20’ boat missing only to be brought back later that day by the Mexican Navy, with his wallet still on the dash. A victim of the tide and not tieing the boat off hahaha.

It’ would really be worth a day or two trip anyway while your so close. BTW if your a AAA member the auto insurance can be had at a reasonable rate vs the fly by nights.

If you do make it ask where is JJ’s Cantina, and check out the boat launch there, facisinating.

Last edited:
Back at the camper we watched as the night’s darkness shrouded the nearby mountains.....

3AA1D1D0-0839-4924-BC31-5B86FD1C7201.jpg

We woke to yet one more magnificent desert sunrise.....

BBA59D8D-9B7D-4761-8028-A3D47C65AAAE.jpeg

And then it was time to get some hiking in.....lots of hiking actually. I’ve seen plenty of warning signs for bears, and recently for rattlesnakes, but this one was a first for me.....

6E539C64-A332-4B06-AD3E-7A5FC31A91CC.jpg

We hiked to the abandoned Victoria Mines one afternoon. There’s really not much to see here but the 4.4 mile hike is pretty nice. The mines are covered with metal enclosures to allow bats in and to keep people out.....

87CD7001-081B-495B-8FD6-9E0A97DEA5D7.jpg

We heard about a desert lake that was located about 20 miles from the campground, so we headed out in the evening to check it out. Most of the drive is along a dirt & gravel road that parallels the border with Mexico. Once again, another warning.....

FC7DD615-A3FF-49EE-9DB0-CB539B040CF3.jpg

As I drove along the border I was surprised to see that there’s not a wall here, just a 4’ high metal fence, apparently enough to keep vehicles out, but not people for sure. The truck you see in the picture is actually driving along Mexican Route 2 from Sonoyta to Mexicali....

2AF49CDD-681E-456B-896E-B9C91FEBFB61.jpg

We were at about mile 19 of our 20 mile trip when the rear wheel of the Jeep fell off.....

7520E1CC-4942-4E9C-9083-1E2D5B92D1C7.jpg

It appears that my Baja racing mechanic isn’t quite what I was told. Every lug nut was off on the driver’s side, one was missing on the passenger side and the remainder were all loose. I carry a ton of tools and a 30 ton hydraulic jack in my truck, but nothing in the Jeep. The Jeep jack was unable to lift the Jeep, and there we were stranded in the desert along the border with Mexico, with nightfall approaching in an hour. And then our angel appeared, the only person we saw after the wheel off.....

D8EDBC4E-A337-42D0-A96B-D337690D9C32.jpg

I’ve never been much of a Sprinter van fan, but I will tell you they have a great scissors jack. I was able to lift the Jeep high enough to mount the tire, and I used the lug nuts holding the spare on, and borrowed another lug nut from a front tire, and we made it back to camp just as darkness returned. I made a new friend on the road yesterday, we had dinner together last night, so that story ended well.....

4FD503DD-6609-44AC-9C1B-2F188AA84324.jpg

ROKTAXI

Adventurer
.....It appears that my Baja racing mechanic isn't quite what I was told. Every lug nut was off on the driver's side, one was missing on the passenger side and the remainder were all loose......

Probably a good mechanic (?), but just forgot to go around and tighten them up after letting down off the jacks.

About a month ago this happened to a friend. However, his NEW 2017 JKU (Rubicon left him stranded when the LR wheel came off taking the studs with it. Walked a few miles to get cell service and got help.

furbucket

Observer
...at least you know he didn't use an air impact wrench to overtighten them! I love the look on the dog's face, "four wheels, three wheels- whatever- I'm just happy I'm in a jeep on a dirt road!!"

...sent from my an evil pocket calculator with a flashy screen...

the deputy

Well, over the last few days l've been able to follow along in your journey...from start until today. Quite the exercise in determination and "time will tell" attitude. Like others have already mentioned, you could sure feel the mood swing...once you entered the journey in the Renegade. Almost sensed it myself when you first showed the picture of the new rig...not enough "freedom" in a rig like that...at least for a guy of your caliper.

Anyhow, enjoyed immensely...and l'm truly sorry about your time with Montana being truncated with such short notice. And my mind can surely appreciate your concerns about Tanner filling such a hugh hole in your heart. Tried to do that once, when a Springer Spaniel, Norton, was taken away unexpectedly. Went out a short time later and brought home another Springer, named him Norton ll. Big mistake. Although he was also a great dog...he just never filled the void of Norton. Luckily, we had three young children at the time and he became "their" dog...instead of mine. I've had three special-bond dogs in my life, a Golden (Petey), a Springer (Norton)...and an English setter (the Deputy) that lives so deeply in my soul...that I know...fully...once he's gone...another setter will never see the inside of my heart to his level again.

Apologies for the rambling...and take my thoughts with a grain of salt. For each man deals differently with their emotions and loss.

Take care and give those two hounds of yours a scratch from me...especially that young'n.

Thank you, for sharing your adventures and daily routine on the road with us...it's been an amazing read.

Brian.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles