My Journey

unkamonkey

Explorer
Great photo Ace. My father took over the duty of taking my Black Lab out for her Sunday runs while I was in college. Somewhere I have a photo of her sitting out on a rock out in the country, broken right front leg and all. There is a reason I picked that dog up out of the pen.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Years ago We were we able to have our pets one day at a time in the dorm room. I would walk Samantha down the hallway there so she could do her business outside. Crazy numbers of women had to run out to give her a hug and a kiss. I never got any of that.

I agree with Unkamonkey.....great shot Ace ! Beautiful best friend.....

So I've been working on a new life (travel) plan and if all works out as I hope it will, I'll be back on the road around August 21st. That'll give me time to hang out in the northwest as I had originally planned and then I'll winter over once again in Mexico (possibly further south).....

Last night we were back in the mountains as I just hate being indoors for more than a few days anymore. Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate and I bailed around midnight as I was way up in the National Forest and was concerned with the road conditions on the way out......

IMG_7288.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Galvyork.....the camper issue will work itself out in time. It's not that big of a deal for me now although I sure loved the thing. I'm not sure at this point that I'll make it out of here this month but I do know one hundred percent that I'll be back on the road before winter gets here. I'm taking it one day at a time.....

I was out walking the dogs in the same field where I would take Montana prior to his recent death. A woman that lived nearby came out to the edge of the field and said something like "you might want to know that the developer that owns this land has been putting out poison to kill the ground squirrels". Of course I had no idea and immediately exited the property. Now that got me to thinking about Montana and how quickly he died. I did a Google search of poisons, and I found that Montana displayed some of the same symptoms the day he passed that are consistent with poisoning. I never understood, nor accepted, that he could be perfect one day, and then not more than (24) hours later, be dead from cancer. In my mind, at this moment, he died from poisoning, and the cancer was discovered while they looked for causes for his symptoms. I believe he was misdiagnosed, although I'm certain he had cancer.....

Yet life goes on.....although it's often a struggle without my best buddy. I was back up in the mountains for a few days of camping and exploring the forests. It's always good to get out from this reality, escape from the city, and be where we belong.....

We found a great campsite along the edge of the creek bank.....

IMG_7329.jpg

Tanner practiced his agility on the logs and rocks.....

IMG_7358.jpg

IMG_7359.jpg

I've never seen a deer so inquisitive. He actually came closer to us the more Yukon barked. Tanner is quickly learning the word "deer" and that you need to bark insanely whenever you see one.....

IMG_7361.jpg

Last edited:

furbucket

Observer
A friends pet died of secondary poison... it should be illegal, poisoning "vermin" makes it up the food chain without fail- mice, birds, larger mammals and pets. It's reckless and short-sighted (end rant)

Sent from an evil pocket calculator with a flashy screen

FS 74 Gallatin National Forest

Thanks Azken and yea it's incredible how fast he's growing. He was at (3) months on the 7th and weighs (28) pounds. He seems to gain from half a pound to a pounde each day.....

Yea Furbucket I think the same. It's been quite difficult to accept.....

And we were back camping in the mountains once again. Honestly I'm recording these outings more for my benefit than anything. Expedition Portal is my travel journey, and due to the camper fire, it's become my truck camping journal (for now anyhow). I'm lucky to be holed up in such a beautiful place.....

I probably shouldn't have allowed this.....

IMG_7366.jpg

I can't help but wonder why my camper burned and campers like these are still out there. I find myself eyeing every old rig and questioning why.....

IMG_7394.jpg

Another full moon in the mountains.....

IMG_7381.jpg

We did a short hike to a beautiful mountain lake (elevation 7,600') the following day.....

IMG_7403.jpg

IMG_7404.jpg

Both the dogs got some swimming in.....

IMG_7390.jpg

IMG_7407.jpg

And some mountain wildlife (usually I see these guys at higher elevations).....

IMG_7417.jpg

Last edited:

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Damn Jerry....have been off the forum for awhile and just now noted your camper problem. Sorry to see it go in that manner. Hang in there. Good looking new pup though!

bigskypylot.....that doesn't surprise me.....

Park.....it's been a rough summer here. The new pup is great but I'm still missing Montana pretty bad. Trying to be patient with moving forward right now. I feel lucky to be in such a nice place as I make plans moving forward.....

Another night in the mountains.....

IMG_7423.jpg

IMG_7450.jpg

IMG_7429.jpg

Last edited:

unkamonkey

Explorer
Nice report even if it is a bit short. I lost my Black Lab around 35 years ago and I can get a bit misty around the 'ol eye balls when I read about dogs. My cure is to walk across the street and scratch the 4 mutts over there. I walk along the street and get warning woofs and as I walk up the driveway they go to the "Hello, it's John" bark. The people that live in the 2 houses know when I show up. I have sent off a note to a friend and her reply was that I didn't own the dog, she owned me. it turns out that she owned my parents as well.

Last edited:

Sticky9

Hey Jerry,

Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed reading about your travels over the last week. The way you tell the tales of your adventures makes it seem as if we are old friends sitting around a camp fire. The pictures are also great, don't short yourself. Sad to hear about Montana, but I have a feeling having a young Tanner around may put a little extra pep in your step. Anyhow, I hope you continue keeping us updated on your adventures. I just wanted you to know it is greatly appreciated that you take the time out to do this!

Michael

Michael.....thanks a lot. Those very kind comments are appreciated. Little Tanner Dog is a real challenge for Yukon and I. Some days I'm left thinking "what the hell was I thinking ?".

IMG_7510.jpg

Unkamonkey.....unfortunately there's not much to journal about these days. It seems like I'm always 2 weeks away from getting back on the road. Truly am treading water here. Speaking of water, a friend and I did a nice day trip down an amazing Montana river. I wonder if bigskypylot can guess this one.....

IMG_7519.jpg

IMG_7517.jpg

IMG_7516.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles