My Journey

Really appreciate you sharing your journeys with us. It's always nice to see areas of the country/world through the eyes of someone who enjoys finding the essence of an area, not just looking for blog post photo op.

Looking forward to watching your travels in the future. In the meantime, regroup, repair, and relax.

JR

Plat

Ditto that. I really looked forward to your daily updates as I followed your adventures.

A big thank you for sharing everything. Have fun, enjoy, travel safe and we'll look forward to hearing about your future travels!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys....I really appreciate the nice comments. One night in a house and I find myself looking out at the camper this morning missing the road life. I wonder how long this will last. And what a change of weather.....my last miles on the road looked like this.....

IMG_6532.jpg

Del Gue

Observer
Cruising down the road today I see the world map, then green Chevy. Where have I seen this rig?.....It's Jerry! Crazy weather this week in the valley. Safe travels.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Cruising down the road today I see the world map, then green Chevy. Where have I seen this rig?.....It's Jerry! Crazy weather this week in the valley. Safe travels.

HaHa!!

Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.

We have been busy once again preparing for another road trip. Typically I start a pre trip post here about all the work that I'm doing to the Jeep, truck, camper, or whatever, but this time it'll be different I'm afraid to say. This pre trip post is only about Montana......

Montana, my best friend, really my everything, for the past 6 and one half years passed away Thursday evening, from cancer......

3412.jpg

3258.jpg

Thursday morning appeared to be another typical day in our lives. We were all awake much too early, I was having my coffee, and the dogs laid around wondering why I'm up so early again. After a few cups of coffee, we took a walk down to the fields, the air still cool here in Montana, the sun just rising, clouds in the sky. Just a typical morning in our lives. The dogs chased gophers, man, they love to chase gophers. Montana had become quite proficient at it, and I'm sorry to say that he ended the lives of more than one. Next we headed over to the lake, it's crystal clear and ice cold with the recent rains, but more so with the spring run off from the mountains. I don't know how he does it, but Montana can just stand in that frigid water for what seems like forever.....

3388.jpg

Montana spent the remainder of the morning on the couch......life seemed good to us all. I roused the dogs up to go and run some errands, and Montana was hesitant to leave the couch. He whimpered in the garage, and reluctantly got into the truck. For some reason I had an urge to spoil the dogs, so we stopped in at the local pet store where each dog got a large cookie covered in yogurt.....a rare treat of that caliper. But Montana was not interested. At our next stop I let the dogs out of the truck and Montana seemed like he was weak on his feet. I called the vet and within (5) minutes we were there.....

3404.jpg

Tests revealed some abnormalities, x-rays confirmed that there were issues, and the vet recommended that they open him up to see what was going on. I was able to go into the operating room to see him, hug him, and tell him how much I loved him.....how really special he was to me. It was all so hard to believe. In a matter of hours my life was turned upside down. At 3:00 p.m. they started the surgery and by 4:00 p.m. he had passed away. They told me that he was filled with tumors and his organs were breaking down. There was nothing that could have been done.....there wasn't a single sign prior to this.....

3411.jpg

3400.jpg

3409.jpg

I found Montana on December 20, 2010 near my cabin in the Appalachian Mountains. It was a cold, winter day, the ground frozen and covered in snow. He was so cautious of humans at that time.....he had been abandoned, he had been shot (3) times and one of the gunshot wounds had become infected, starving, his ears and gums were infected, and the next day he tested positive for Lyme Disease. But over time he regained the trust of all man and through our travels he became quite the entertainer and was loved by all that met him. He loved people and other dogs so much. He hated gophers so much. He filled every hole and void in my life. He slept at my feet, if there was room he preferred my lap, and in bed his head always laid on my chest.....always. We were inseparable 24 / 7.....

3410.jpg

I've often said to people that if there is a dog heaven, that's where I'd choose to go after this life. And if there is a dog heaven, then there's no doubt in my mind that Montana is there, romping through the marshes, creeks, and fields, sunning himself along the shoreline of a lake in the afternoon sun.....just doing what we always did together. It's what we loved.....

We hope to be on the road in a few weeks.....

3389.jpg

3399.jpg

Last edited:

smlobx

Wanderer
So sorry for your loss.
I'm sure there is a doggie heaven and Montana is chasing gophers to his heart's content..

furbucket

Observer
This just sucks. But remember that you gave that guy a life most other dogs (and some people too for that matter) can only dream of! Remember all the good times and keep moving...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rpintx1

Observer
Jerry,

I'm very sorry to hear about Montana. I've enjoyed following your thread and the journeys the three of you have been on. I hope to someday travel to some of the places you have shown us. Thank you.

fisher205

Explorer
Jerry,
Sorry about Montana, he was a great dog. How's Yukon doing with this? When you take off I moved to Casper WY, So if you come south let's grab a cup, I think I still owe you one.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles