Pictures of Expedition Motorcycles

dox

Up and running..
P5220028.jpg

Time for a nap.
P5220030.jpg

I have a 2000 model in the same color. Yours is in a lot better shape than mine :D

Those look like Shinko 705's on there, how do you like those on the KLR? I hear a lot of positive things about them on the bigger bikes in tubeless format, however they had some de-lamination issues and had to be made a radial instead of bias-ply.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I have a 2000 model in the same color. Yours is in a lot better shape than mine :D

Those look like Shinko 705's on there, how do you like those on the KLR? I hear a lot of positive things about them on the bigger bikes in tubeless format, however they had some de-lamination issues and had to be made a radial instead of bias-ply.

Thanks,
They are Avon Gripsters and I love them. Some people call them "slipsters" I hear they suck.

I've had them on three KLR's and I don't have much to compare them to.

I run 35psi front and rear on the street and 20psi front 21psi rear in the dirt. I rode about 80 miles of dirt on Sunday and they were awesome! They got me through rocks, gravel, mud, and hard pack.
I know there are better tires out there and I've lots of good things about the Shinko's.

P5220012.jpg

a pic of the MUD that they made it through.
P5220020.jpg

scarysharkface

Explorer
Dr350

This is my work in-progress expedition bike. It's a '98 Suzuki DR350 dirt model (kickstart-only) that's been dual-sported. I'm planning an Indiana-Oregon-Indiana trip this September on it.

i-kw57mQC-XL.jpg

I've got the Wolfman Explorer tank bag mounted on it in this picture, and hope it still fits the larger tank I'll be ordering in a week or so (Clarke 4.2 gallon vs. 2 gallon OEM). For luggage, the plan is to pickup a GiantLoop Coyote bag. That should be plenty of storage and range for what I intend to do. I'll post pics as this progresses..

John

D

Deleted member 9101

2004 Honda CB 900. Might not be as "expo" as some of the bikes on here.. but I can cruise comfortably cruise at 2x the speed limit on the interstate....lol

P10307451.jpg

P10307401.jpg

haulindave

Observer
Here's some ?

Hi New to the site but not adventure ridin !

Here is a few of mine , and my adventure bikes .:bike_rider:

Just got back from a Week in Death Valley last month camping:camping: and staying in old mining cabins and dirt and 4x4 roads .:luxhello::friday::victory:

Pic 1 , Death Valley last month::roost:
Pic 2 , Death Valley last month Lippincott Pass:wings:
Pic3 , Death Valley last month
Pic4 , BMW 1100GS Scott's Flat Lake
Pic 5 , KTM 950SMR Canyon Racer:bike_rider:
Pic 6 , Electra Glide in Montana:ylsmoke:
Pic 7 , Summit 800 in the Sierras:bike_rider: OH not bike ?
Pic 8 , T100 with flip-pac::safari-rig:

Attachments

• Dewitt water hole[1].jpg
    Dewitt water hole[1].jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Death Valley 073.jpg
    Death Valley 073.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Death Valley 056.jpg
    Death Valley 056.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 30
  • fall 2010 bike rides 027 1.jpg
    fall 2010 bike rides 027 1.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Yellowstone trip 337.jpg
    Yellowstone trip 337.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 24
  • SLED PICS-18.jpg
    SLED PICS-18.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 26
  • filpac 015 (800x600).jpg
    filpac 015 (800x600).jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 43

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Have to put these up.

LOVE this bike! I'm just about ready for a full summer of fun with it. Still getting ~60 mpg with it on a short shake-down ride yesterday. 100 miles of windy asphalt and gravel roads, warm temp, and very little traffic. Heaven!:bike_rider:
Dakar 5-19-11 #2.jpg

dox

Thanks,
They are Avon Gripsters and I love them. Some people call them "slipsters" I hear they suck.

I've had them on three KLR's and I don't have much to compare them to.

I run 35psi front and rear on the street and 20psi front 21psi rear in the dirt. I rode about 80 miles of dirt on Sunday and they were awesome! They got me through rocks, gravel, mud, and hard pack.
I know there are better tires out there and I've lots of good things about the Shinko's.

P5220012.jpg

a pic of the MUD that they made it through.
P5220020.jpg

Sorry for mistaking the Gripsters for Shinkos... though the tread patterns appear similar to me :oops:

If you've had them on that many KLR's and have the pressures all worked out, the performance must work well for you and there's no real reason to change. I wish I was so consistent in my tire buying to achieve that kind of knowledge about how the bike handled with a particular tire.

dox

This is my work in-progress expedition bike. It's a '98 Suzuki DR350 dirt model (kickstart-only) that's been dual-sported. I'm planning an Indiana-Oregon-Indiana trip this September on it.

i-kw57mQC-XL.jpg

I've got the Wolfman Explorer tank bag mounted on it in this picture, and hope it still fits the larger tank I'll be ordering in a week or so (Clarke 4.2 gallon vs. 2 gallon OEM). For luggage, the plan is to pickup a GiantLoop Coyote bag. That should be plenty of storage and range for what I intend to do. I'll post pics as this progresses..

John

The Coyote rear luggage bag is interesting, I've seen it on a few long-distance thumpers before and it seems to work well from my observation, but I don't have any first hand experience.

Last edited:

walkstx

Take you just about anywhere bikes

Untitled-2.jpg
2006 Suzuki V-Strom "Wide Body"

Ferry.jpg
Same '06 wee-Strom loaded for two.

2010-12 BUTT 006.JPG
2002 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. Big Bend Ranch State Park, TX.
Traded for the above Strom 650.

militar_small.jpg
First "expedition" bike. KLR in Mexico, pre-drug lord take over.

2010_Dalat_Area1-145.jpg
Honda 125 in Vietnam. When you can't go over 45 mph due to the roads who needs anything else bigger?

2010_Phu_Quoc1 078.jpg
Honda 50 Step Through "Overlander" in Vietnam. Yes, that's a "road" in the background.
This thing was like a tractor. Even submerged the engine in a water crossing and it didn't even sputter! US$5 rental.

1975.jpg
First Honda 50. Took me on my first expeditions through East Texas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94