Looking at getting a bike

green

AIRBORNE
I have a good deal of experience riding on the street and dirt but this Dual Sport realm is new to me. I am in the process of getting a used bike and have kind of narrowed it down. One would be the KTM 640 adventure and the other is the Kawasaki KLR 650. From the bikes I am looking at they come with panniers and are well set up for the needs I am looking for. 1 of course is for commuting to work 30 miles one way, and the other is to start doing some over night exploring of Colorado and the nearby states on a bike instead of my Land Rover.

Any thoughts on reliability, options available, or anything I might not be considering in my purchase. A friend of mine suggests the Suzuki DRZ but I am not as familiar with it as the 2 aforementioned bikes.

these are some of the examples of what I have found thus far: (there are some BMW's in there but I know nothing about them personally)

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3041134044.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3063021044.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3067880909.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3067598361.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3054229471.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/3058918261.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3011958161.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3036714328.html

Last edited:

zolo

Explorer
I might not be the best guy to listen to. Once I rode a KTM I haven't looked at much else.
Having owned a BMW GS and several other Japanese bikes, Id say I have a good basis for my opinion. I have also considered buying a 640 or 690 to share ride time with my 990. I really like the idea of a light weight all rounder for rides like the TAT, and some local area dirt stuff. I love my 990 but sometimes a smaller bike would be nice, and at this point the 640 or 690 would be my first go to bike.

They both look to be well set up and clean. They are hard to find in my area so 2 to choose from is nice. Id say the lower mile bike would be my first choice for obvious reasons. Although the higher mile 640 has been well set up and those add on's are pricey. So setting up the more virgin bike could get expensive if that the direction you go. Id say my first choice wold be the KTM with the KLR a far second and the BMW even further for me.

The KLR is a great bike but maybe not as high quality as the KTM in regards to riding in the dirt. Can it go any place YES will it be as fun as a KTM NO. My brother and I had one for a while. Is was a good bike simple easy to ride. Reliable. Just a good all around dual sport.

As for the BMW they are sorta great bikes. They do most things well.

The price difference from a KLR to the BMW or KTM is substantial but Id still spring for a KTM personally. I just like them, They make you smile.

This is all just my opinion. Once I rode a KTM I pretty much was sold. So I hope nobody cracks me to hard.

FAW3

Adventurer
Just some opinionated thoughts to consider:

You mention "30 mile one way commuting": if that is a "most days" type of thing on the MC your considering, and involves highway speeds, then my thought is that the MC design and available options MUST support that type of riding - making it comfortable and fun. Several of the 650 choices offer good highway cruising (well within optimum RPM and vibration range), big to fairly big fuel tanks, and decent OEM or aftermarket fairing/windshield choices. If you ain't happy commuting...you suffer every day.

Storage Considerations: for commuting or camping hard bags here really work great. Especially the locking aspect for commuting. For tough challenging riding off road...soft bags are easier on your legs.

Working on the bike: for any bike...what services are you going to do, how often do you want to do them, and what does it cost? This varies by the type of bike AND the owner. Read what it takes (or costs) to change oil, air filter, adjust valves...some bikes are much more involved than others.

I came off bigger bikes and now I have a KLR (just so you know), and I am really pleased on what a thumper can do...on an interstate, a side road, and a dirt road (or light trail)...all the bikes you mention have the ability to make your day...some offer more or less in some areas...but these bikes can do it all.

Jump on one and ride!

green

AIRBORNE
Thanks for the input! Thus far I am leaning toward the KTM though the 2 that were for sale here are now gone. I have a friend that owns a motorcycle service shop that has advised me against it unless I go for the higher cc 990 due to his experience with what service he does on the bikes. He swears by the KLR and what engine service and ease of service he or I will do to the bike. I am still looking and have not made a purchase yet. If another KTM does not fall into my lap I will buy a KLR with no regrets. My question would then be pre 2008 or post KLR.

sandalscout

Adventurer
My question would then be pre 2008 or post KLR.

Mechanically, there is very little different between the two. The suspension was "revised" for the 08+ models and has larger forks, but not much larger (2mm, I believe). In my opinion, the biggest difference between the 2 is plastics. The 08+ models have much more plastic and are therefore more susceptible to damage (without aftermarket protection) and the earlier models are therefore a little bit more crash-worthy out of the box. Beyond that, it's all about looks, in my opinion.

Rider_WV

The KLR and 640 ADV are both nice bikes. They will both do what you want. the klr will be cheaper initially and in the long run. The KTM will cost more and take more maintenance. If you start pushing the bikes limits offroad the KTM wil take you much farther and keep you smiling longer. It has a great suspension and great brakes. The engine is STRONG but it also vibrates a lot. Both bikes need new seats. IMO the KLR suspension is its biggest downfall. Its low budget and shows. The KLR is reliable as an anvil and simple to work on and maintain.

Try to ride both and one will likely fit better and/or be more comfortable. You will know which is right for you. IMHO stay away from the 08-up KLR. The 08 and some 09 have oiling issues, the motor can and will eat oil and grenade on you. They have too much plastic and do not hold up well to drops offroad. The 07-older are great bikes and can be abused.

just to throw a wrench in your plan, check out the DR650. Its old school air cooled, super simple, super reliable and can be modded affordably to do anything and everything you want. The xr650 is the same way. The DR is considerably lighter than the KLR as well.

Lots of options and lots of choices. Keep in mind you can almost buy two bikes for the price of a KTM. I love KTMs but they are pricey. For the same price as a nice 07 640 ADV, you could buy a nice commuter bike and a fun small DS bike. Something like a used kawasaki Versys and an older DRZ400 will be close to the same price as a low mile 640adv. good luck...

green

AIRBORNE
Thanks again for even more useful info. I have expanded my search and have considered the XR650 as well. There are some nice ones for sure but I do not know much about those either.
I will continue looking while on vacation these next two weeks.

Goofy Footer

When it comes to bikes I always ask what type of personality do you have? Do you like performance and style or are you more likely the type to ride in jeans and work boots?

The KTM 640 ADV is a very nice bike and will have better suspension, more power and far more sex appeal than the KLR 650. The KLR 07 and prior can be had much cheaper (and are more common) than the KTM and while they won't be as fancy nor as high performing as the KTM, they are quite reliable. Plenty of guys on ADVrider have KLRs with 50,000+ miles on their motors.

The XR650R was the bike of choice for Baja Racers between 2000 and 2006 or so (its still used but has now been replaced by 450s). The XR is reliable yes, but not like a KLR. The XR can be molded into a great desert race bike. It won't have the subframe support needed to maintain long distance touring nor support panniers. You would have to build/support the subframe.

A riding partner of mine bought an XR650R for fast dirt touring. He is also a skilled dirt rider.

So, my opinion (which isn't worth anything) is KTM if you like nice very high quality bikes, KLR if you prefer simplicity and don't need to be fashionable and the XR if you want to go lighter and fast. 08 and newer KLRs seem more road focused than the 07 and prior.

I ride a DRZ btw. Here is a funny video

green

AIRBORNE
Love the video! I am definitely impressed by the KLR following.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Rider_WV

When it comes to bikes I always ask what type of personality do you have? Do you like performance and style or are you more likely the type to ride in jeans and work boots?

The KTM 640 ADV is a very nice bike and will have better suspension, more power and far more sex appeal than the KLR 650. The KLR 07 and prior can be had much cheaper (and are more common) than the KTM and while they won't be as fancy nor as high performing as the KTM, they are quite reliable. Plenty of guys on ADVrider have KLRs with 50,000+ miles on their motors.

The XR650R was the bike of choice for Baja Racers between 2000 and 2006 or so (its still used but has now been replaced by 450s). The XR is reliable yes, but not like a KLR. The XR can be molded into a great desert race bike. It won't have the subframe support needed to maintain long distance touring nor support panniers. You would have to build/support the subframe.

A riding partner of mine bought an XR650R for fast dirt touring. He is also a skilled dirt rider.

So, my opinion (which isn't worth anything) is KTM if you like nice very high quality bikes, KLR if you prefer simplicity and don't need to be fashionable and the XR if you want to go lighter and fast. 08 and newer KLRs seem more road focused than the 07 and prior.

I ride a DRZ btw. Here is a funny video
QUOTE]

I should have been more specific when I mentioned XR's. The XR/R is a desert race bike, water cooled, kick only etc. They can be made into very nice DS bikes and are very reliable. I was actually referring to the XR650L that they still sell today. Air cooled, old school simple bike. Stout subframe, etc... I would still pick a DR650 over a XR/L and both over the KLR. Of course if my budget allowed I would have a 640adv in the shed :D.

Goofy Footer

Rider WV, thanks for clarifying on the Hondas. The XR650L is a good bike too. I know a guy who rides one (with a 680 kit and larger cooling fins) two up with his wife on surf trips to Mexico. He carries his surfboard on a rack bolted to the bike.

I like your comment about the DR650. My neighbor has panniers, heated grips, the works done to his and he went 5 weeks off the bike in Alaska, sometimes 2 up as well. Depending on the OPs size, the 650 could be a good bike as it has a lower seat height than the KLR, XR650L and KTM. I rode my friend's bone stock DR650 from San Diego to Denver and back over Halloween weekend. Its not a Goldwing on the freeway but it got the job done. The DR is also lighter than the KLR which will help off-road. Both cannot meet the KTMs suspension however.

From the 650cc class the DR and KLR seem to be some of the favorites for around the world travel.

Good thread, keep the info coming!

Rider_WV

The KTM suspension is definitely better than the others mentioned. The beauty of the DR is the interchangability of the parts. You can swap a nice set of DRZ/sm or RMZ inverted forks on it with very minor work, shoot even a set of WP forks isnt much work. You can also get a very nice shock from a few different companies(cogent is sweet, they also make a nice klr shock). There is also a very wide variety of gas tanks available for it, all the way up to 9 gal.

green

AIRBORNE
Finally pulled the trigger. I was silent for a while as I was mulling over all the info that you guys gave me and doing more research. Here is the new to me KLR

5Ge5E55Jc3F33J33Hac9h175329a1d53e111a.jpg5Ie5Mc5J53I23Fb3N2c9h8dfd90e11a1e1d5d.jpg5If5G65F63E23G33I4c9h28a77b8861b214de.jpg5K15P35Jd3M93I13Lbc9h00838fc06f0911cd.jpg

sandalscout

Adventurer
Looks like it's a nice bike. I like the ammo can setup, it looks good, and the matching top box is nice too. Too bad they are so heavy.

What's the scoop on the antenna?

green

AIRBORNE
Seems it was for a scanner that he would listen to for leads as a photographer for a news paper.
The tires now have 35 miles on them from me, not just new but wicked new. Here are the specs:
2002 KLR 650 Enduro with 19k original miles. Brand new Metzler tires front and rear. Skid plate, radiator gaurd, new OEM stock seat, rear rack with water tight locking ammo boxes, 12 volt auxillary power source with fuse in rear box, new battery, wired for trickle charger. Ammo boxes are all carpeted and set up for photography equipment. Tripod mount, helmet lock and signals are now mounted on upper box. Added center stand along with kick stand. Moose bar risers. Scotts fork stabilzer. "Doohickey" kit done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles