Is there a buyers guide or FAQ for refrigerators?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
the Dometic CF18 was delivered just over a week ago.

On Sunday I decided to work off half my work-bond at the shooting range where I am a member by working the gate. It was a hot day and I stocked the fridge with drinks and a sandwich. It cooled down nicely during the 1 hr 20 minute drive to the range, then I shut the engine off (my 4runner does not have retained power - if the ignition is off, the 12v power outlets are off, too.)

Despite that, by lunchtime my sandwich was still cold (and dry!) I'm definitely sold on the concept, although I am glad the wife and I didn't have the fridge on Saturday when we ran a very, very, very bumpy/rocky 4wd trail in her Jeep. I'm not sure it would have survived!

I went with the smaller fridge and will be using a "two box" system: The fridge will hold meat, eggs, dairy, and anything else that might spoil or be ruined by getting wet. After that stuff is in there, thee remainder of the fridge will have water or other drinks if they fit. The rest of the water and other drinks will go into a cooler filled with ice.

We've got a trip to the San Juans coming up next month, that will be the acid test for the fridge.

For always-on power at those outlets you can install a simple jumper at the power relay in the relay/fuse box under the hood. If your fridge is lashed down well it will survive whatever road you take the Jeep on. Just pack the contens well so that they cannot jump around and recombine into something inedible!

Tumbleweed

Adventurer
I think the hardest thing my wife and I will have to learn is that we don't have to have everything we want cold in the cooler at once. As we use a half day or so of drinks, we can refill and cool them down from ambient temperature. Or possibly even make ice for a drink cooler.

CodyY

Explorer
I think the hardest thing my wife and I will have to learn is that we don't have to have everything we want cold in the cooler at once. As we use a half day or so of drinks, we can refill and cool them down from ambient temperature. Or possibly even make ice for a drink cooler.

If you plan on having access to more ice, thats great. But it is far more efficent to pre-chill everything AND the cooler ahead of time.

Unless you meant "cooler" in regards to "fridge". Then disregard above statement.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz