"High Class" Window AC install for my Van

AUTO360

Adventurer
So, being that its summer time here in AZ, the temps are in the triple digits practically everyday. So, my best option was to figure out a clean way to mount a window AC in one of my rear doors and then power it with a Honda EU2000i generator. I bought the smallest window unit at HD for $100. Its 5000 BTU's. Good for cooling a 50-150sqft room. Also bought the EU2000 the same day. Paid $1003 (total) for the generator at one of the local Honda shops and after getting home and trying the combination I was happy to see that the generator will start and run the AC on ECO mode.
So, the next week I went and bought some steel and will use my new Miller welder for the 1st time. My welding skills are extremely minimal which is why I'm not taking close up pics of my welds. "Grinders are for people who can't weld properly"

My rear windows come out with 4 screws so I took the rear driver side one out.
I bought 14 gauge steel and thenP6221819.jpg traced my window to the steel and cut it out with my jig saw using bosch blades. I was surprised at how nice it cut.

Last edited:

AUTO360

Adventurer
P6231821.jpg

Attachments

• P6221820.jpg
    P6221820.jpg
    515.4 KB · Views: 53
  • P6241824.jpg
    P6241824.jpg
    530.9 KB · Views: 61
  • P6241825.jpg
    P6241825.jpg
    544.5 KB · Views: 64
  • P6241827.jpg
    P6241827.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 56

AUTO360

Adventurer
So, there it is. I still need to put some silcone around the edges but for the most part it is done. I think it looks ok. Better than using plywood.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Nice!

I was going to do something similar to my camper van, right after I bought it, except I was going to put the a/c in the back of the 2' high fiberglass bubble above the rear doors. I even went out and bought a generator, and built a box on the left rear door to hold it.

All good to go.

Then, after actually using the camper for a while...decided I didn't need the a/c after all. With all the windows it has, a few fans have gotten me by. The last two summers, I look at that space again and start pricing out a/c units...and then still don't do it.

And every August, during some heat wave - I swear that next year for sure I'll do it. And then it cools off, and I forget about it till next year. :D

vanroth

Observer
Looks good!

As another Tucsonian I'm looking to do something very similar with my Astro van. I already have the AC unit (5000 BTU as well). Had two ideas: one was to make a wooden removable insert for my passenger window to hold up the unit. The second idea was to purchase a matching junk yard rear door (I have the three panel dutch doors) and cut a hole to fit the unit. Then use angle iron to build a proper frame.

95_chevy_astro_van_rear_door_50_quakertown_9961563.jpg

My dogs are still waiting for me to get off my butt and finish the project...

adi

Adventurer
Nice install. I'm going to be trying the insulation and fans approach for my van. I plan on traveling next summer, but even right now I can be comfortable enough into the 90's.

My next step is to see if I can swap out the fixed windows for pop-out windows.

MTDewX8

Observer
is there a reason why you did the window unit instead of those RV types that ride on the top of the roof?

just curious as I will come this this cross road some day (once I get my van)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior