Hood louvers and hood scoops

Scott you've probably seen mine but I like the cooling performance I get with mine. I also like the fact (warm fuzzy) they have the bottom deflectors to move water away from engine.

installed1.jpg

underhood.jpg

You used some from a camaro or something didn't you?

redneck44

Adventurer
Instead of cutting your hood, how about doing the old racers trick of sticking 1/2"-1" spacers between the hinge and the hood, lifting the back edge up (not so easy with side mounted hinges but not impossible).
Gives you side and rear ventilation and is fairly discreet. Also stops your engine getting wet through the holes.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
I was thinking about them as we'll, primarily to release heat from the engine bay when crawling or going through trails doing less than 2mph.

Instead of cutting your hood, how about doing the old racers trick of sticking 1/2"-1" spacers between the hinge and the hood, lifting the back edge up (not so easy with side mounted hinges but not impossible).
Gives you side and rear ventilation and is fairly discreet. Also stops your engine getting wet through the holes.

I did play with this idea when I was putting my hood back on after painting... It was very difficult to line up correctly with the striker and release.... so decided against it... I think properly placed louvers will look great, when I get to that point.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
AGAIN: Before you cut that hood!

Venting the hood just beyond the radiator shroud is the way to pull the hot air through the radiator and out of engine bay. Any other location past that and you are pulling air into engine bay which is great if you crawl, going it slow off road, drive in town at lower speeds or want to feed a hood scoop. Propping hood a trailing edge pulls air into engine bay as in cowl induction.

My venting is at upper trailing edge of fenders and I've added seals (actually door seals cut to fit) on r/s & l/s edges of hood to prevent ingress of air into those long seams between the fenders and hood. My burb now runs cool in triple digit temps however I now have to use a grill cover so the engine can get to temperature in weather of 40+- deg f or colder. Temp sensitive fuel system requires 170 deg f to be fuel efficient.

Good point. I do have access to several Magnahelic gauges, so we were going to do some scientific experimentation based on a few models we found on the web. "We" being an engineering friend who is into race cars... :)

Containerized

Adventurer
The louvers actually evacuated a lot of heat from the FJ engine compartment last dry season (110F ambient nearly every day!).

Easy mod and worthwhile, I think, along with opening the "intake" at the front of the hood that was closed from the factory.

I rarely am able to exceed 30 MPH on local roads, so I don't worry much about aerodynamics...

I just figure getting as much air in and out of there for cooling as possible is a good thing.

Landcruiser_Project_Customer_Delivery_Day_Overhead.jpg

Landcruiser_Project_1000KM_Shakedown_Photo.jpg

Less functional during the wet season:

IMG_4936.jpg

IMG_4923.jpg

FellowTraveler

Explorer
The louvers actually evacuated a lot of heat from the FJ engine compartment last dry season (110F ambient nearly every day!).

Easy mod and worthwhile, I think, along with opening the "intake" at the front of the hood that was closed from the factory.

I rarely am able to exceed 30 MPH on local roads, so I don't worry much about aerodynamics...

I just figure getting as much air in and out of there for cooling as possible is a good thing.

Less functional during the wet season: QUOTE]

That is a really nice setup you have there, and yes at lower speeds they do work great to evacuate under-hood heat, if I remember right it is around 40 mph that the air starts to go into vents.

grimbo

Explorer
I had a Toyota 5k engine in my Samurai and it would get a bit hot on long slow climbs. To fix the problem I cut 5 x 2" holes along the back of the hood facing the windscreen. It worked a treat in dropping the heat at low speeds, no adverse effects at high speed and was an awesome windscreen defroster too

rb70383

Observer

AZPAJERO

Observer
Bumping this in an effort to try and get more intel or examples of people who've done this mod regardless of make/model.

Thanks.

Allot of folks simply put a bushing or spacer between the back of their hood and the brackets to lift the rear of the hood up an inch or a few centimeters. Doesn't damage the hood and helps alleviate some of the venting issues that so many here have mentioned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94