will an ARB bumper fit a 2012 tacoma?

voodoojk

Adventurer
The ARB bumper for the second gen xterras are the same. You must cut the oem bumper skin to fill the gaps. It's not just a Tacoma thing.

WGuerette

I know this is a bit of a thread revival, but I thought I would post up my results to maybe save someone from the amount of research I did.

I recently mounted a 05-11 ARB Deluxe bumper on my 2015.

Why, you may ask? Because I love the ARB bumpers, always have. But, I could not stand the 2012+ Tacoma models. I even considered swapping a 05-11 front clip onto my 2015 so I could run the old style ARB worry free.

But, after lots of research and few pictures found of similar setups (The Oakley truck and another done by a shop in Texas), I decided to pull the trigger on an older style bumper and give it a try.

Here are the results:

I think the last picture speaks for itself about the improved approach angle of this generation ARB vs. 2012+ models.

As you can see, there is a slight gap where the grill sits higher than on the 05-11 models. However, no modifications to the bumper were necessary for proper fitment. I did need to remove the OEM bumper support below the grill, and slightly trim the supports below the headlights for a tight fit.

I hope this may help anyone considered the older style ARB vs. the newer ones.

Cascadian_Matt

Observer
As you can see, there is a slight gap where the grill sits higher than on the 05-11 models. However, no modifications to the bumper were necessary for proper fitment. I did need to remove the OEM bumper support below the grill, and slightly trim the supports below the headlights for a tight fit.

Call me an ARB-apologist, but just going to say this for anyone who reads this later...you did not just outsmart a group of engineers who design these products for a living. You may regret ignoring the instructions about leaving the gap under the headlights. Yes, it looks better the way you have it, BUT the Tacoma/FJ/4Runner/Prado150 frame is VERY flexible on the front end. ARB 'requires' a gap there to prevent the truck from knocking the fenders apart when it twists. When you hear a chatter on a bumpy road or a solid THUD when you end up flexing on the trail, know that it is your fender flare taking a solid ********** from the bumper. In a few months you will likely have rubbed through the paint on the fender flare, if you don't knock it loose first. Everyone has their style preference, but wanted to share some lessons others have learned.

I strongly suspect that the only difference in the early Taco (05-11) bumper and the +12 model is the radius cuts for the factory grill. Same wings, same center section, added a fog light. Similarly, anyone with a 2014+ 4Runner can go mount the early 5th Gen bumper and it will fit the chassis. The bumper skin contour is just different, everything under the skin/headlights is the same.

WGuerette

I suppose I wasn't as clear as I could have been when I called it a "tight fit". It may not look like it in the pictures, but I do have the 15-20mm gap as specified by ARB. I'm well aware of the flexibility of the Tacoma's front end.

I fully flexed the truck to ensure proper clearance before torquing the bumping down. As of now I have no clearance issues to report, at full flex or over rough roads.

chmura

Adventurer
I suppose I wasn't as clear as I could have been when I called it a "tight fit". It may not look like it in the pictures, but I do have the 15-20mm gap as specified by ARB. I'm well aware of the flexibility of the Tacoma's front end.

I fully flexed the truck to ensure proper clearance before torquing the bumping down. As of now I have no clearance issues to report, at full flex or over rough roads.

Flexing the truck rock crawling does not move the bumper much. Its the higher speed bumps and wash boards that you can actually see the bumper giggle.

I have a 22mm gap (ARB calls for 20-25mm) on my 4runner. The worst part for me was making the gaps even on both sides. I was really OCD about it and spend literally 6 hours just making it right. After I was happy I drilled the locking nuts and never looked back.

mouse007

Explorer
I know this is a bit of a thread revival, but I thought I would post up my results to maybe save someone from the amount of research I did.

I recently mounted a 05-11 ARB Deluxe bumper on my 2015.

Why, you may ask? Because I love the ARB bumpers, always have. But, I could not stand the 2012+ Tacoma models. I even considered swapping a 05-11 front clip onto my 2015 so I could run the old style ARB worry free.

But, after lots of research and few pictures found of similar setups (The Oakley truck and another done by a shop in Texas), I decided to pull the trigger on an older style bumper and give it a try.

Here are the results:

I think the last picture speaks for itself about the improved approach angle of this generation ARB vs. 2012+ models.

I hope this may help anyone considered the older style ARB vs. the newer ones.

Awesome...!! Man, I as well did lots of reading and calling and looking around. I wanted to run the 05-11 Bull Bar as you did but a good friend told me not to, at the time he worked for ARB and I believe I was one of the 1st few truck to run the 2012-2015 Bull Bar. You got me thinking....

Zeiden

Hey WGuerette, I'm really tempted in buying a 2005-2011 ARB Deluxe front bumper that has recently become locally available. I own a 2012 Tacoma. Can you post some close up pictures of your install?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior