Winch/Offroad Bumper for 2nd Gen Montero/Pajero

95monty

I found a machine shop that could make the brackets for me. I wonder if it would be better to just have them fab the entire bumper for me...

I did a quick look, it seems the actual src bumper comes with the winch plate. I remember on my jeep, the winch plate bolted to the frame, since it protruded. I don't know anything about the Monty, so I'm learning as I go.

So if I bought the src (winch plate included), I presume it wouldn't work or would it?

scrubber3

Not really here
I found a machine shop that could make the brackets for me. I wonder if it would be better to just have them fab the entire bumper for me...

I did a quick look, it seems the actual src bumper comes with the winch plate. I remember on my jeep, the winch plate bolted to the frame, since it protruded. I don't know anything about the Monty, so I'm learning as I go.

So if I bought the src (winch plate included), I presume it wouldn't work or would it?

There is a member on here that did get someone to fab up an entire bumper for him. He has a thread somewhere in the first few pages I believe.

off-roader

Expedition Leader

Using an SRC bumper will require you to modify your frame for it to fit. The mitsu bumpers are designed to bolt on via holes in the sides of the frame. This model Jeep's bumpers are designed to bolt to holes in the end of the frame, not to the sides of the frame. So that means you'll need to make the mounting plate I drew in gray in that illustration above. In my case, we cut the frame rails shorter & then boxed/capped off the ends. We also put in a threaded hole in the end where the 2 of the SRC's bumper holes line up.

Also, you're correct about the SRC winch plate. It's mounted behind the bumper and on the frame rails since they do stick out what look's like 8-10" in front of the Jeep's grill. My frame rails were cut back & end a couple of inches forward of where my front grill is. You can see pics of the winch mount in the link above.

Last edited:

Monterorider

Adventurer
Interested. How did you mount your bumper and what did you use to make the jerry can / hi lift carrier?
Bumper is mounted to my winch mount.
2004_0808_006.sized.jpg
which I built quite a bit earlier. All I had to do is trim bumper ends and add about 1" spacers between winch mount sides and bumper mounting plates. Bumper is pure decoration.

Ahhhh on rear bumper I used some steel 2x2 and 2x4, some bits of 1/4 plate, and 3/8" rod.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
i'm sure you can still buy an ARB for your truck, as common as these trucks are in the rest of the world i would say you shouldn't have a problem buying from someone who is a distributor for ARB. The next thing is you could just find a GOOD fab shop local to you and have a bumper made to fit your truck exactly. As for winch mounting just put it in the factory location by installing a winch plate, this will keep your airflow to your radiator and your CG lower (every little bit counts).
Here's some pics of my front bumper on my gen 2, it's just a home brew unit i made (note the winch in the factory location).

DSCF9889.jpg
DSCF9887.jpg
DSCF9888.jpg
DSCF9885.jpg

95monty

i'm sure you can still buy an ARB for your truck, as common as these trucks are in the rest of the world i would say you shouldn't have a problem buying from someone who is a distributor for ARB. The next thing is you could just find a GOOD fab shop local to you and have a bumper made to fit your truck exactly. As for winch mounting just put it in the factory location by installing a winch plate, this will keep your airflow to your radiator and your CG lower (every little bit counts).
Here's some pics of my front bumper on my gen 2, it's just a home brew unit i made (note the winch in the factory location).

View attachment 108680
View attachment 108681
View attachment 108682
View attachment 108683

Where did you find a winch plate that fits? I can't find one anywhere...

bc.knows

Has anyone thought about installing a 2" receiver hitch mount to the front and going with a removable winch platform? Then you could winch front or back. Has any one done this yet?:Wow1:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Has anyone thought about installing a 2" receiver hitch mount to the front and going with a removable winch platform? Then you could winch front or back. Has any one done this yet?:Wow1:
How strong are you? Consider it will weigh more than 100lbs which you'll be transferring on uneven or unstable terrain. If you're up for that, then it's a fine idea.

skinzluch

Adventurer
I ordered an ARB Winch bumper for my truck from 4x4 Connection back in 2009 (Part #: 3434020). The site currently says it's discontinued because it doesn't fit US trucks. While this is technically true, all I had to do was grind a bracket off of the front of each side of the frame and the bumper fit perfectly. Maybe 4x4 Connection can still source one for you.

Alternatively, you could try to import one from Australia. On the ARB Australia page, it has a slightly different part number (Part # 3434030).

Good luck,
Nik

bc.knows

Winch options for 98 montero

I have seen that Superwinch makes some winch plates that bolt on to the frame for the 98 monty. They look similar to the ones I have seen on the jeeps. Has anyone tried these before. I'm just not sure of how they work in conjunction with the stock bumper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior