The Dirt Sherpa Build

GCecchetto

Adventurer
While I made good progress over the weekend, I didn't get everything done I had hoped to. As it turned out, installing the fiberglass siding on the cabover section was much more of a pain in the ***** than I had thought it would be. The cure time on the adhesive forced me to forgo installing the floor of the cabover. In addition to the siding on the cabover, I got most of the radius corners installed in the openings. This would normally be an easy install but with the frame being built of 1/8" wall aluminum, I cant staple them in like FWC does. Each corner has two 6-32 screws drilled, tapped, and countersunk to fasten them in place, so it took a while to install them. I also dropped off the aluminum armor for the back of the camper at the powder coater, and picked it up today, so I'm looking forward to installing it for good. I've abandoned the exo bars, as one other member called them, which really eliminates a lot of little pain in the butt things to do prior to installing siding. So, I think I am on track to start the siding installation this coming weekend, which kicks off a week off to work on the camper, so I hope to have all the siding installed in the next several weeks. If all goes well, I'll get the teak paneling installed, routed and removed so I can install the windows and door as well.

Here's an uninteresting photo of the camper in my shop with the cabover siding clamped up.
2012-07-22_15-48-19_120.jpg

Been thinking about how to carry motorcycles with me and thought I might take inspiration from this sweet little setup. Everyone needs a little humor.

2012-07-02_12-30-21_480.jpg.

GCecchetto

Adventurer
The cabover siding came out nice. Installed the floor of the cabover today but it was too late for photos. Really glad to finally be putting this thing together. Looking forward to starting the siding install this weekend.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
The cabover siding came out nice. Installed the floor of the cabover today but it was too late for photos. Really glad to finally be putting this thing together. Looking forward to starting the siding install this weekend.

Keep it up! That is going to be one SWEET camper when you are done! :ylsmoke: I think I am going through picture withdrawal though! :drool:

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Okay, here's some photos for those of you with withdrawal symptoms setting in. These aren't overly exciting photos but they're all I have at the present. Should be posting better photos over the next week as I'll be off work and focusing on the siding installation. I still have a few misc things to do to be fully preped for the siding installation but I think I should get most of that done this evening and Saturday.

Here's a shot of the radius corner install.

2012-07-24_19-17-41_671.jpg

and the cabover siding

2012-07-25_17-53-26_181.jpg

Here a shot looking up at the bottom of the cabover, the protective sheet is still on the siding in this shot. I'm going to do more sanding and finish work on the bottom of the cabover (it's a long story) frame so I'm leaving the cover on the siding for now. The siding I'm using is Crane Composites Noble Select. It's a 3mm thick direct hang fiberglass siding with an extremely high quality gelcoat finish. Unfortunately the siding I've used on the cabover, which is also by Crane, does not have anywhere near as nice a finish. It looks like the fiberglass siding FWC uses and shows some fibers in the finish. You don't notice it from a distance, but up close you sure do. The Noble Select siding can't be bent around a radius so I had to use Filon on the cabover and I used the thicker .065 product which is supposed to make an 8" radius minimum bend but I managed to wrap it around the 5" radius on the cabover without fracturing the gelcoat. They also make a thinner .040 product called Flexroof that they say will do a minimum 4" radius but the fibers in the finish are even more visible.

2012-07-25_17-53-41_913.jpg

Look for more interesting posts in the next week.

Last edited:

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Started Installing the siding today. Here's a couple photos.

Front wall from the outside, the wrapper is still on and the window has not been cut out.

2012-07-29_18-37-53_107.jpg

From the inside.

2012-07-29_18-38-48_750.jpg

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
This really is terrific!
happy0034.gif

Awesome !:drool:

Looks like you are using tape to hold on the siding..... what product are you using and where did you order it?

I would also like to know the source of the interior panels.... looks great!

Inspiring

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Awesome !:drool:

Looks like you are using tape to hold on the siding..... what product are you using and where did you order it?

I would also like to know the source of the interior panels.... looks great!

Inspiring

Thanks. Yes, I'm using 3M's VHB Commercial Vehicle Tape CV62F. Unbelievably strong bond, it's used for installing the exterior panels on semi trailers. I bought it from SRI in North Carolina, super nice guys and the pricing is great. You can reach them at 1-888-752-7272 or http://www.sri-supplies.com The interior panels are 1/4" marine grade teak ply that I bought locally from Macbeth Hardwoods.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Thanks. Yes, I'm using 3M's VHB Commercial Vehicle Tape CV62F. Unbelievably strong bond, it's used for installing the exterior panels on semi trailers. I bought it from SRI in North Carolina, super nice guys and the pricing is great. You can reach them at 1-888-752-7272 or http://www.sri-supplies.com The interior panels are 1/4" marine grade teak ply that I bought locally from Macbeth Hardwoods.

Those panels are NOT coming off! Looks great! You are sure doing some nice work. Looking forward to seeing how the interior turns out.

Are you keeping the original lift panels? With all the work you are putting in the camper you might think of upgrading to the new composite ones from FWC. Just a thought, the thin plywood seems SO easy to break and or wear out as mine did.

Last edited:

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Are you keeping the original lift panels? With all the work you are putting in the camper you might think of upgrading to the new composite ones from FWC. Just a thought, the thin plywood seems SO easy to break and or wear out as mine did.

Mine are dead already, so I'll be either building my own lift system or buying the new composite lift panels. They're just soooo expensive, don't have the extra $900 right now.

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Finished routing the openings in the teak wall panels today and started installing the windows. Sure hurts putting those old windows in my otherwise new camper.

The rear and side windows are in but will come back out after being masked to make the detailing of the caulking easy. Also, due to the 1/8" wall tubing I'm attaching to, I have to pre-drill for every screw. Fortunately I'm using some really good #10 hardened stainless steel thread forming screws. The fog has come back again this evening but I'm still hoping to get all of the openings filled tomorrow ao I can start on the trim on Sunday.

2012-08-03_19-20-04_858.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles