The Dirt Sherpa Build

Flakchaser

Saw your build in search of camper ideas for my M-1101 military trailer...and was blown away by your craftsmanship and attention to detail ! I would like to get your ideas on how you are going to build your tire carrier as well. I have the same "Hammerhead" bumper on my 2016 Ram 2500 Regular cab and a Canadian made: Master 50 truck body . that comes over the top of the bumper and is flush with the end . I intend to build a ladder bar across the bumper width; and will be anchored by the recovery points and a 2" tube adapter that slides into the hitch. Instead of a single trailer axle pivot, I am going with double swing arms with a lock open device....Don't want to get trapped inside. Will use 2" Ballistic Fab joints and HMMWV rotary door latches to secure the arms, along with a ball lock safety pin for travel. My concerns with this build are the lack of strength in the bumper attachment points on the truck side, and torque load at the ends of the ladder. A possible mod for the bumper attachment point can be found on another forum. To get there use search icon at top of this page...use Member Search "Marshal" then click on any "SIRUS: 2017 Power Wagon Build", click on Page 11... Lots of pictures of a Expedition One bumper install and how they modified the bumper attachment points and how the axle stub is installed in their bumper. Sorry don"t know how to paste a link. Thanks for all the good ideas!

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Saw your build in search of camper ideas for my M-1101 military trailer...and was blown away by your craftsmanship and attention to detail ! I would like to get your ideas on how you are going to build your tire carrier as well. I have the same "Hammerhead" bumper on my 2016 Ram 2500 Regular cab and a Canadian made: Master 50 truck body . that comes over the top of the bumper and is flush with the end . I intend to build a ladder bar across the bumper width; and will be anchored by the recovery points and a 2" tube adapter that slides into the hitch. Instead of a single trailer axle pivot, I am going with double swing arms with a lock open device....Don't want to get trapped inside. Will use 2" Ballistic Fab joints and HMMWV rotary door latches to secure the arms, along with a ball lock safety pin for travel. My concerns with this build are the lack of strength in the bumper attachment points on the truck side, and torque load at the ends of the ladder. A possible mod for the bumper attachment point can be found on another forum. To get there use search icon at top of this page...use Member Search "Marshal" then click on any "SIRUS: 2017 Power Wagon Build", click on Page 11... Lots of pictures of a Expedition One bumper install and how they modified the bumper attachment points and how the axle stub is installed in their bumper. Sorry don"t know how to paste a link. Thanks for all the good ideas!

Thanks for the kind words. Probably going to be a while before I start the work on the bumper and swing away carrier due to having about 300 feet of fence I need to rebuild first. Definitely going to revamp the mount to the frame, as well as weld up the wholes for the backup lights so I can install some flush mounted lights. The older design like I have with the lights inset, and right next to the recovery points, is terrible and doesn't allow any light out to the side of the vehicle. Hope you have the newer design. Tire carrier is going to be a major project as I have a lot of features I want to build into it, including relocating the backup cam from the tailgate into it.

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Your attention to detail and craftsmanship are second to non, very impressive.

Thanks very much! Really want to get back to work on the truck and camper, but have to get a bunch more fence built first, and really need my Tesla back from the body repair shop so the truck doesn't need to be my daily driver. Probably a couple months before I have the Tesla back unfortunately. Great cars, until something happens to them, then you're without them for 6 months.

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Okay, ages since I’ve posted in this thread, and now I’m thinking about selling the camper due to likely taking on a MUCH larger build. I want something comfortable to live out of for months at a time.

Thought I would post here for opinions on the asking price if I decide to sell it.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles