Colorado Combo - Killing Two Birds With One Stone

AnzaJeep

Observer
Well, this post is long overdue. Several years ago I read the below thread (http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ively-in-expensive-offroad-popup-build-thread) that really got my gears turning on what I wanted to do for my own build. Well as fortune would have it, I came across a Coleman Colorado at a price I could not pass up. I read and reread euro.love's post and finally decided to pull the trigger and ordered the exact axle he had used. I then went back and forth on replicating his build or upping the ante. I decided to just lay out on my garage floor the trailer I wanted to build - and before I knew it, I was at the metal yard buying several hundred dollars in metal; that was it, I was committed and there was no turning back.

My first thought was to extend the front of the trailer frame to build a storage deck, but after a very quick inspection, it became apparent that the stock frame was not up to the task. Now with the actual metal laid out on the garage floor and dozens of sketches, I got to work welding.

Teaser picImageUploadedByTapatalk1340911047.152583.jpg

AnzaJeep

Observer
Disclaimer: I am not a fabricator, welder, mechanic or any other trade that would have been extremely helpful during this build; as a matter of fact, I sit at a desk behind and computer 80% of the time at work. I have never done anything this large or complex. But, I had a dad that could do it all (well, almost all - he hated working on cars and engines). He taught me that if someone can do it, I can too. It also didn't hurt seeing how pitiful the stock frame was; I knew that as long as my welds were strong and my frame true and square, my new frame would be a 100% improvement on the original.

Now my intentions all along had been to chronicle the build and do a detailed build write up, but with less than an hour each night to work on the trailer (after work and with small kids going to bed early on the other side of the wall from my garage - read no grinding, cutting or welding after 7:30), I didn't even take pictures of most of the build, much less have time to do any write ups... This will be a relatively brief build write up. More to come. Another teaser picImageUploadedByTapatalk1340913388.561098.jpg

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Sweet build! I myself have debated on a similar setup but ended up going truck camper route. NICE WORK! Hope you get years of good times out of it. :ylsmoke:

Funrover

Expedition Leader
That is super sweet! I dig it. That original post also makes me think a lot. I like the route you went though. Very cool!

AnzaJeep

Observer
y8ygy4ur.jpg

Just got new canvas for the Colorado Combo. This rig has worked out better than expected and decided it was worth the money to get a new tent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior