SLO's FWC Hawk Refurb/Build...

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Lookin good SLO. Quick question for you on the USB outlet.... looked on amazon for detialed specs but couldn't find what I was looking for. Anyone know if those units have a constant parasitic draw if left powered up even while no device is plugged in?

Not sure if there is a constant draw. My bet there is. I plan on getting a few matching switches for these things hoping that the switch would eliminate the constant draw over time. Thoughts?

JCMatthews said:
The camper is looking great.

Thanks! Getting closer! :wings:

Desert Boater said:
I just got a fantastic fan to replace the vent that was up there. SO MUCH BETTER!!!! You're going to love it, and it's totally worth those greenbacks.

The build looks great! I've been contemplating doing a similar rebuild of my Eagle's bench seat. Raising it to the level of the carpeted over-bed-rail area, and possibly turning it into a dinette...we'll see though.

Cheers,
West

Thanks & Great to hear West! My only concern is after it is open more than 2" the fan automatically comes on. Did you add a switch to it, or are just running it as is? Glad its worth those greenbacks! :snorkel: Go for your rebuild idea. The bench seat it simple. You'll have it hammered out in no time!

SLO_F-250

Explorer
This build is fantastic! It'll be a new camper when you're done!

Thanks hunt! Im hoping it will be! haha It will be better an upgrade from the previous I think.

Well got another day in on the camper. LOTS of progress. The long haul is over and its little stuff from hear on out. Mainly re-sealing the roof and general maintenance stuff. No more HUGE project! :bike_rider:

Got the bench seat all framed up.
P7140053.jpg

Modified the corner at the door. I didnt like the dead space FWC originally had in that corner.
P7140052.jpg

Added an extra storage area in the front of the camper. Going to hold 2 batteries.
P7140049.jpg

Lid on. I went with a grey blue carpet. Hoping to kinda match the blinds and get another color in the camper besides white and lots of brown.
P7140056.jpg

Lid off and battery under.
P7140055.jpg

P7140057.jpg

P7140058.jpg

P7140059.jpg

most everything is back in! YEEHAA! :wings:
P7140061.jpg

P7140062.jpg

Just gotta get the fridge back in there. Does anyone know of a good internet site to order fridge parts off of? I have a Dometic RM-2193. Just need 2 parts. Burner and T-Pipe to replace the old rusty ones.
Cheers,
Paul

Willman

Very cool Paul. This is one cool re-model....

I like your idea of adding a USB charger...I meant have to do the same.

cruizer

My only concern is after it is open more than 2" the fan automatically comes on.

Set the reverse fan switch in the middle.
Great build! One question for you.... will 1.5" cabover hight be enough on your truck? I have the same model and wonder about the body flexing out. Did you run that close on the last camper?

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Set the reverse fan switch in the middle.
Great build! One question for you.... will 1.5" cabover hight be enough on your truck? I have the same model and wonder about the body flexing out. Did you run that close on the last camper?

I'm pretty sure it will be fine. Ill have to get into some dirt and flex it a bit to be sure, but my other camper was that close and I never had a problem with it. Ill keep you posted as I get out and play! :bike_rider:

Willman said:
Very cool Paul. This is one cool re-model....

I like your idea of adding a USB charger...I meant have to do the same.

Thanks, and I cant claim that idea. Overland Hadley blazed the trail on that one. :ylsmoke:

Overland Hadley said:
There is also an off setting, along with the three fan speeds. So there are two ways to turn the fan off with this model, and both work when the vent is opened.
Great to know! Thanks!

Redline said:
Very nice update and remodel!

Thanks!

This weekend should be fun as it will be smaller stuff and fun mods if they all come in the mail in time. Hoping to transfer all my "gear" from the scamper to the Hawk! Close to actually camping!!!!!!!! :wings:

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Amazon got me again! Dang. I ordered a battery isolator setup following evldave's How to make a Cheap Bettery Isolator setup for $50. Unfortunately mine came out to about $80 shipped, but that is still a pretty good price. Went with 4 guage wire and the Cole-Hersee solenoid. Install details to come! I plan on adding a 2nd battery and solor panel at some point, but that will be down the road.

On another note, FWC finalized my replacement lift panel order. I got one of the last wood ones as the new composite ones are PRICEY! Should ship out tomorrow! :wings: I figured the original lasted 22 years so a new one is fine. Plus the rear is in perfect shape. Terry and Stan threw in some scrap brown canvas for me to use for patches and some new stickers to dress up the old hawk. GREAT GUYS! Cheers! :friday:

Also, FWC recommends HH-66 Vinyl Cement to patch the canvas. Got some from the tribes of Amazon too. :chef:

Last edited:

ExpoMike

Man, that is looking great. One suggestion, based on what I have read at one time on WTW. Put some heat reflective insulation down before putting the fridge back in. What I read is, with the heater below the fridge, some heat will transfer upwards and cause the fridge to not work as well. Adding some insulation helps block that and make the fridge more efficent. I guess this was one reason FWC moved the heater from under the fridge in later models.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Man, that is looking great. One suggestion, based on what I have read at one time on WTW. Put some heat reflective insulation down before putting the fridge back in. What I read is, with the heater below the fridge, some heat will transfer upwards and cause the fridge to not work as well. Adding some insulation helps block that and make the fridge more efficent. I guess this was one reason FWC moved the heater from under the fridge in later models.

Thanks Mike! Your suggestion makes complete sense. Ill have to check out WTW and see if I can find some info. The fridge sure does fit really tight. Not sure if I could go thicker than 1/16" - 1/8" of any reflective surface. Ideas/recommendations?

UPDATE.........

Sadly, my weekends of time are coming to an end. Trip date coming up soon and my truck needs a bit of maintenance before the depart. :Mechanic: Wish I wanst working 12 hour days so I could tinker on the camper!!!! :snorkel: Course that is what pays for my "tinkering". haha

Old vent OFFFFF!!!
P7210059.jpg

Welcome Fantastic Fan! What an upgrade!
P7210060.jpg

Looks good inside! Love the speeds and ability to reverse the air flow!
P7210061.jpg

Also ordered all new exterior water line stuff as well as sink drain and line. Stuff is fairly cheap and turned out great!
P7210062.jpg

This one is kinda cool and sad. The Hawk was ready for gear. So I stopped by where I have the skamper stored for now and cleaned the ole girl out. Got lots of reorganizing to do. Man Im going to miss my storage boxes and under camper drawer, but it will help me consolidate my stuff some. As soon as I get some time to organize Ill send some picts.
P7210064.jpg

My battery isolator setup came in today! Sweet! That will get installed this weekend for sure. I also have a box of electrical parts sitting in the garage. Unfortunately wont get time to install pre-hwy 395 trip, but defiantly will before Utah this fall! :safari-rig:

ExpoMike

Looks like some nice upgrades and work.

For insulation, you might look at Peel 'n Seal at most home improvement stores. Normally for roofs but works good for auto application. I did the whole floor in my '69 Camaro and it greatly cut the heat down. If you were local, I have some in my garage I would let ya have. It's about 1/8" or less thick.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Looks like some nice upgrades and work.

For insulation, you might look at Peel 'n Seal at most home improvement stores. Normally for roofs but works good for auto application. I did the whole floor in my '69 Camaro and it greatly cut the heat down. If you were local, I have some in my garage I would let ya have. It's about 1/8" or less thick.

Mike, Can you send a link? I went to OSH and Home Depot and came out empty handed. Maybe I just completely spaced, but the guys I asked looked at me like "what"? :punk03:

Redline said:
A fantastic upgrade

Fantastic Indeed! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz