Kodiak tent questions

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
I'm inching closer towards my purchase of the Kodiak tent for the family.

Me too. Check out competitiveedgeproducts.com. They have an exclusive 10x10 on sale now. It has 4 windows and 2 doors. The regular delux model has 2 windows and 2 doors. The one on sale that I'm referencing has 2 additional windows on the sides of the tent....$459 delivered.

toymaster

Explorer
Would anyone care to mention the differences in design of the Kodiak versus Springbar?

I happen to be looking for a larger canvas tent to use as a 'living room' (I have an RTT on a trailer and do not want to use the extended room nor a 'trailer tent'). I've been looking at the OZ however, the 2 meter length is a no go as it will not fit insided of my 6' trailer. Just trying to find options that are out there.

AndrewClarke

Adventurer
Me too. Check out competitiveedgeproducts.com. They have an exclusive 10x10 on sale now. It has 4 windows and 2 doors. The regular delux model has 2 windows and 2 doors. The one on sale that I'm referencing has 2 additional windows on the sides of the tent....$459 delivered.

Those two large end windows look like a good addition to the tent. Although I haven't found my older design to get too hot, I also haven't used it in really warm weather yet.

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
^ yes, you can cheat.

Thanks. :sombrero:

I really appreciate the heads up. I typed up a long response, then decided I'm going to start a new thread about for discussion about the new design. :)

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Didn't want to start a new thread.

Does anyone have a picture of the 4 person Kodiak Flex-Bow Tent packed? I picked up the 6 person but it's way too big (for sale in classifieds). I'm trying to get a realistic impression of how big the 4-person would be.

xplrn42

Adventurer
I can get one for you tonight if no one else has one.
It fits pefectly on top of my 1650 so it's around 30 x 20 x 7 or so.

Silver dude

Xplorer
How good are these tents in loose beach sand? I'd say 50% of my yearly camping results in camping along a lake or river with beach sand. Sand is obviously difficult to stake in and by design the kodial tent seems more reliant on proper staking then other ground tent options? However, the Kodiak and the Springbar seem like the top ground tents for Expo duty. I'm entirely sick of Fiberglass tent poles snapping so the Kodiak seems like a good option. Just will I be disappointed when the stakes pull from the sand in the middle of the night?

xplrn42

Adventurer
Didn't want to start a new thread.

Does anyone have a picture of the 4 person Kodiak Flex-Bow Tent packed? I picked up the 6 person but it's way too big (for sale in classifieds). I'm trying to get a realistic impression of how big the 4-person would be.

Packed next to a Pelican 1520 in the back of my FJC, sans poles.

1-L.jpg

alia176

Explorer
How good are these tents in loose beach sand? I'd say 50% of my yearly camping results in camping along a lake or river with beach sand. Sand is obviously difficult to stake in and by design the kodial tent seems more reliant on proper staking then other ground tent options? However, the Kodiak and the Springbar seem like the top ground tents for Expo duty. I'm entirely sick of Fiberglass tent poles snapping so the Kodiak seems like a good option. Just will I be disappointed when the stakes pull from the sand in the middle of the night?

The stakes should be purchased separately for deep sand, regardless of the type of tent you are using, I think.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Dawgboy

Adventurer
I've staked mine in deep sand before, I used 2 foot pieces of rebar instead if the stakes it came with. We were just fine, but sand hogs would be a better choice.

I was camped on a friends land outside Borrego Springs one weekend on a flat alluvial pan, mostly sand. In the middle of the night the winds picked up to 60mph(recorded at the airport , less than a mile away), and I had only staked the corners and center, as is my norm. Tent was flogging bad and one corner pulled out, so I had to get uptime and restake the corner, and add the ones I skipped. We were fine the rest of the night. A friend's Eureka completely failed, so they moved in with us and we had 7 in the tent. In the morning, there was about an 8" berm of sand on the windward side. Can't ask for a better tent then a Kodiak 10x10. I will agree that the only real advantage the springbar has is the wire stake loops.

Here is 15 seconds of video at the beginning of one hell of a storm in Baja. I ended up taking in flooded neighbors that night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GuLBSuKE-s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Thanks for the picture. This is a 4 person? It looks as big as the 6-person I just sold. I guess I'll have to give up on getting another Kodiak.

As far as knock off. As I understand it, Kodiak was created by a former Springbar employee who thought he could make a better tent. Nothing knock off about it. My concerens with the tent was that it was crazy heavy and big (we know this going into it), caring for canvas seems like a pain, pounding that many stakes in has you sweating by the time you've got it set up.

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Mine is a 10x10. Setup is a breeze. Sure, it's heavy, but it goes up faster than my Eureka did, and the canvas is easy to care for. You just have to make sure it's dry. After that trip, I set it up in the yard and hosed it out, inside and out. Swamped the water out and stuck an electric heater in it. Put it away nice and dry. I've done this several times over the last 5 years. If the weight issue is a real problem, get one of the mini spring bars. Half the size = a lot less weight.

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems

xplrn42

Adventurer
Thanks for the picture. This is a 4 person? It looks as big as the 6-person I just sold. I guess I'll have to give up on getting another Kodiak.

Sorry, it's a 10x10, which I guess is a 6 person. Honestly, I didn't know they made a 9x8 until just now. :) Six people in the 10x10 would seem to be crowded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles