Hackney FG test update

jayshapiro

Adventurer
Bgan

Hey Doug,
Congrats on the successful tests so far...

How's the BGAN working for you? You mentioned in one of your recent posts that you would upload photos "when you get near bandwidth" does that mean that between the GPRS & BGAN you're not happy with the connectivity?

Looking forward to hearing stories from when the trip 'really begins'!

Jay.

dhackney

Expedition Leader
jayshapiro said:
How's the BGAN working for you? You mentioned in one of your recent posts that you would upload photos "when you get near bandwidth" does that mean that between the GPRS & BGAN you're not happy with the connectivity?

The BGAN works great but it is extremely expensive for the bandwidth. I fired it up and tested it. Works great, but I don't plan to use it unless we're out in the bush for a few weeks and I just MUST get a post up on ExPo. Otherwise I'll wait for an internet cafe.

The Skymate system has really proven quite handy. Works great for text coms. I didn't think I'd use it at all but use it quite a bit when we're off the grid.

jayshapiro said:
Looking forward to hearing stories from when the trip 'really begins'!

Boy, you and me both! :)

dhackney

Expedition Leader
VikingVince said:
Thanks Doug...I attempted to subscribe to the Blog as per your instructions...didn't work...got the following message:

"The XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below."

Just thought I'd let you know...maybe something with my computer?...or something else...beats me...thanks.

I did a search on this. It may be on your end if you are using an early version of a Mozilla / Firefox browser. The base versions are not set up as feed readers. They expect a style for any content and feeds don't have any style content. I don't use those browsers but I understand there are feed reader plug-ins available.

If this is not the case for you, i.e. if you are using a different browser and got that error message, or have no problems with other feeds, please let me know.

The blog is a bone stock install of Word Press, so nothing exotic there.

The feed is RSS 2.

haven

Expedition Leader
account

Doug,

I had no problem creating a username and password
for your blog. At the time I was using a Macintosh
and Firefox 2.0.0.x.

Chip Haven

VikingVince

Explorer
dhackney said:
I did a search on this. It may be on your end if you are using an early version of a Mozilla / Firefox browser. The base versions are not set up as feed readers. They expect a style for any content and feeds don't have any style content. I don't use those browsers but I understand there are feed reader plug-ins available.

If this is not the case for you, i.e. if you are using a different browser and got that error message, or have no problems with other feeds, please let me know.

The blog is a bone stock install of Word Press, so nothing exotic there.

The feed is RSS 2.

thanks, Doug...I am using an early version of Firefox...so that's the problem. I need to upgrade it. thanks again for figuring out my problem:oops: It would have been beyond my 'puter know-how.

dhackney

Expedition Leader
haven said:
Doug,

I had no problem creating a username and password
for your blog. At the time I was using a Macintosh
and Firefox 2.0.0.x.

Chip Haven

Chip,

Could you please try subscribing to the posts or comments on the blog and confirming that functionality works with the Mac/FF combination?

I used to develop code for both platforms but gave up the Mac OS when the biz community moved to PCs so I don't have any around to test on.

thanks,
Doug

haven

Expedition Leader
thanks

Doug,

Thanks for sharing. The data are very useful.
How are the stock tires holding up to the load?

Chip Haven

dhackney

Expedition Leader
haven said:
How are the stock tires holding up to the load?

Chip,

So far, so good. I don't see excessive wear up to this point.

I expect we will experience diminished tread life and earlier replacement than Fusos with less load.

I lost a lot of sleep over this, but in the end, I'm glad I stuck with the stock tires and kept at least that portion of things simple.

Doug

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Doug,
Do you expect to run into any issues with the height of the vehicle when encountering ferry travel? How are you going to ship overseas? My expedition van is going to be over 9' tall when complete, and I'm concerned about the limitations imposed by the dimension...

Spence

Last edited:

Robthebrit

Explorer
Spencer,

This has been gone over somewhere before but I can't find it. I think Doug will be fine, shipping will be a little trickier but won't cause any significant problems. Your camper at around 9 feet will also be fine, my mog is 10'2" and has been shipped all over the place. Width is the bigger issue for a lot of campers.

Local shipping using ferries will cause no problems as they are either open barges or huge and made to take semis, 9,10,11 feet not a problem. Long haul container shipping is a little trickier, may have to use a high cube or a flat rack (most likely a flat rack) but they are only 8 feet wide. Flat rack will expose your truck to salt water as its always on top and there is a very small chance of it falling off the boat. Roll on/roll off is the other option, works pretty much the same as a ferry and dimensions are not really a problem but theft can be a problem.

Rob

dhackney

Expedition Leader
spencyg said:
Doug,
Do you expect to run into any issues with the height of the vehicle when encountering ferry travel? How are you going to ship overseas? My expedition van is going to be over 9' tall when complete, and I'm concerned about the limitations imposed by the dimension...

Spencer Garrett
Maine

Spencer,

Based on our research, reading overlander's journals, and talking with people who've done it, I'd agree with Rob. We have no direct experience with expedition vehicles overseas yet, so I'm sure we will learn plenty as we go.

Our rig is 12.04' / 3.67 meters high and 8.58' / 2.62 meters wide.

Based on our international travels by motorcycle I think our primary limitation will be width. We are pretty wide for the developing countries we prefer to travel in.

Another limitation we've got is departure angle. In Steven Stewart's excellent design requirements overview of expedition vehicles he rates departure angle as more limiting than ground clearance. I put drag caster wheels back there for when we touch down, but they haven't made contact yet, even during testing off-road.

From what people have told us, it looks like low hanging wires will be our primary challenge related to height. I put a "nerf bar" on the leading edge of the camper roof to provide some protection for the solar panels, A/C, etc.

For shipping, we are using RoRo whenever possible and flat rack when required. As Rob mentioned the primary risks there are security on the docks and exposure to seawater / sea spray during transit.

To mitigate security/theft concerns while on the docks and in transit we had a sunbrella cover made for the front winch and to cover everything behind the cab. We also installed burglar bars over the skylights and a lock bar over the camper door. I will remove all the antennas, driving lights and all cab electronics prior to shipping. (Fill any open electrical connectors with dialectric grease to protect them from corrosion during shipping.)

If you are building on the Sprinter platform there are commercially available locking bulkheads to seperate your cab area from the rear of the vehicle. That could provide some security for you if you are forced to ship RoRo or flat rack. (Sprinter resoruces are on this page, scroll down: http://www.hackneys.com/mitsu/index-resources.htm )

We've shipped by container and air freight with our bike and have never any trouble with those methods. If there was any way we could have met our requirements with a vehicle that fit into a container I would have much preferred that shipping method.

If you are close on height for fitting into a container, beyond what you can do by letting some air out of the tires, have some wheel blanks machined and put them on instead of wheels/tires. All you need is enough ground clerance to clear the differential and front suspension. I was planning to use high strength aluminum and cut cross hatches in the circumference for a little traction.

Doug

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Thanks for the information guys. The base for our rig is an '86 E350 Quadravan camper. My van introduction thread (along with pics) is in the Camper Van discussion area. We just picked it up a couple weeks ago and are still in the beginning stages of the outfit process. Our initial trip will keep us within the bounds of North and Central America, but given the expense of creating a vehicle such as this, I want to make sure we minimize the limitations for future adventures. Doug, I have really enjoyed watching your build and following your adventures. Maybe we'll meet out on the road some day...

Spence

haven

Expedition Leader
shipping container dimensions

Typical shipping container **internal** dimensions are
length 19 and 39 feet
width 91 inches
height 93 inches (standard container)
height 105 inches ("High Cube")

The all-important door opening dimensions are
width: 88 inches
height: 89 inches