2013 BMW F700GS and F800GS specs released

tbared

Life participant
Thank you for the responses.

I am looking to start on a 650, just to see if i like the brand and to not spend a lot of cash initially. Mainly, right now for getting around school, and then throw on the hitch carrier to take as a second vehicle for kayaking or camping to get around a bit. Nothing heavy duty or with serious use. I would like to compare to Honda's dual sport 650 dakar as well. I am looking for my moneys worth for easy riding, and basic transportation.

Rightovercrest

Thank you for the responses.

I am looking to start on a 650, just to see if i like the brand and to not spend a lot of cash initially. Mainly, right now for getting around school, and then throw on the hitch carrier to take as a second vehicle for kayaking or camping to get around a bit. Nothing heavy duty or with serious use. I would like to compare to Honda's dual sport 650 dakar as well. I am looking for my moneys worth for easy riding, and basic transportation.

Again, all you could ever want to know and more is over at ADVrider for adventure bikes. Are you talking about getting a twin (798cc badged as a 650) or single cylinder BMW 650 as they are completely different animals in my opinion? If the Honda XR650L is also an option consider the KLR650, DR650, DRZ400, and WR250R too. All are reliable and have their positive attributes.

Back to BMW's..... I had my seat redone by XPC and absolutely love it now compared to the stocker. Nice work and not too costly.

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
Another recommendation for ADVrider, lots of info there. My 2013 F800GS came with the comfort seat and it is pretty comfy, but the seat is pretty tall. The seat on the F800 is actually a bit higher than the F1200GSA.

tbared

Life participant
Again, all you could ever want to know and more is over at ADVrider for adventure bikes. Are you talking about getting a twin (798cc badged as a 650) or single cylinder BMW 650 as they are completely different animals in my opinion? If the Honda XR650L is also an option consider the KLR650, DR650, DRZ400, and WR250R too. All are reliable and have their positive attributes.

Back to BMW's..... I had my seat redone by XPC and absolutely love it now compared to the stocker. Nice work and not too costly.

I am looking at the singles, just for longevity and simplicity. I actually just signed up on ADVrider. The website looks a bit overwhelming, and a bit unorganized, so i will have to spend a bit of time to get through it.

My main concern is on road ability with a splash of light off road. Everything i read is that the KTM, XR650, and such are more off road and less forgiving to on road. But the Honda, and KTM have better reliability. So i am just a bit torn.

Rightovercrest

I am looking at the singles, just for longevity and simplicity. I actually just signed up on ADVrider. The website looks a bit overwhelming, and a bit unorganized, so i will have to spend a bit of time to get through it.

My main concern is on road ability with a splash of light off road. Everything i read is that the KTM, XR650, and such are more off road and less forgiving to on road. But the Honda, and KTM have better reliability. So i am just a bit torn.

Go into Thumpers under the Bike category for single cylinder info. Find some folks in your region and meet up with them to pick their brains. buying someone dinner or a beer costs a lot kess than buying the wrong bike!

Honda and KTM being more reliable than the others isn't necessarily true or false and I am certainly not opening up that can of worms. :sombrero:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur

Honda certainly has reliability down, but so does BMW - particularly with the older bikes like the F650GS singles.

The older F650GSs (the singles) are great "traveling" bikes. They are a little small for extended freeway use, and a little big for moderately technical terrain (big rocks, sand, etc) but manageable in both. I rode my 2007 F650GS (single) across the western US on the Trans-America Trail (Colorado to the coast in Oregon), then with nothing more than a counter-shaft sprocket change, air in the tires, & oil on the chain, I pointed it south and rode 1,400 miles back to Tucson in 32 hours.

IMO, the biggest problem with these BMWs being used as "basic transportation" is the cost. They're not cheap to buy, and repair parts can be expensive (relative to other bikes in the same size range). Maintenance items (filters, chains, sprockets, etc) aren't horribly expensive, but actual repair parts come with a BMW price tag. If you can afford it - go for it. They're great bikes. If it's a bit outside of your budget, there are other bikes out there that will serve you just as well for "basic transportation". The biggest thing you'll lose by going to the other bikes (DR650, XL/XR, etc) is the freeway performance. The GS sits about 55hp, the others from the same era are in the mid to high 30's. The GS is pretty smooth compared to the other singles as well (but it's still a thumper, and will vibrate a lot more than the twins).

tbared

Life participant
Honda certainly has reliability down, but so does BMW - particularly with the older bikes like the F650GS singles.

The older F650GSs (the singles) are great "traveling" bikes. They are a little small for extended freeway use, and a little big for moderately technical terrain (big rocks, sand, etc) but manageable in both. I rode my 2007 F650GS (single) across the western US on the Trans-America Trail (Colorado to the coast in Oregon), then with nothing more than a counter-shaft sprocket change, air in the tires, & oil on the chain, I pointed it south and rode 1,400 miles back to Tucson in 32 hours.

IMO, the biggest problem with these BMWs being used as "basic transportation" is the cost. They're not cheap to buy, and repair parts can be expensive (relative to other bikes in the same size range). Maintenance items (filters, chains, sprockets, etc) aren't horribly expensive, but actual repair parts come with a BMW price tag. If you can afford it - go for it. They're great bikes. If it's a bit outside of your budget, there are other bikes out there that will serve you just as well for "basic transportation". The biggest thing you'll lose by going to the other bikes (DR650, XL/XR, etc) is the freeway performance. The GS sits about 55hp, the others from the same era are in the mid to high 30's. The GS is pretty smooth compared to the other singles as well (but it's still a thumper, and will vibrate a lot more than the twins).

See i can justify paying a used price of 5k on a low mile G650 vs a new Honda or KTM, i just want to make sure i get good roadability with a splash of dirt road or single track. I will stay on the small side since they hang off the back of my truck on the roads.

I actually have Honda bikes in the past and they are good, lately i have had a bad experience with a Honda car. So i am not heart broken by not going Honda again.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
F650GS is pretty heavy to hang off the back of your truck (assuming you are using a hitch carrier). It can be done (been there, done that), but it's a job to muscle one up and down by yourself.

For street/highway use & mild to moderate terrain at speeds appropriate for a big bike - the F650GS is a great bike.

tbared

Life participant
F650GS is pretty heavy to hang off the back of your truck (assuming you are using a hitch carrier). It can be done (been there, done that), but it's a job to muscle one up and down by yourself.

For street/highway use & mild to moderate terrain at speeds appropriate for a big bike - the F650GS is a great bike.

I have almost finished converting a Tommy lift to carry two bikes on the back of the F550. It lifts the bikes, then i lock it into place for the trip. Like the Blue OX carrier for RV's/Mine is a lot cheaper though, a lot.:)

CavTrooper

Observer
Dig the 800gs, but being that it is my first real motorcycle I am kind of biased. I picked it up last week and wish I had more time to ride it. The winters are coming fast to Montana so I have to get the rides in while I can.

Frank

Explorer
I am hoping to replace my KLR with a new F800GS or a KTM 990ADV. I'm leaning to the Beemer as I do more pavement pounding (work commutes) than dirt riding ...and I feel the 990 is a more dirt friendly bike.

I also really like the redesigns of the F800GS!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles