2013 BMW F700GS and F800GS specs released

haven

Expedition Leader
Here are all the details on BMW's midsize adventure machines. (The F650GS gets a displacement boost.)
http://www.scribd.com/doc/98895026/Bmw-Motorrad-f700gs-f800gs-En

The main differences between the models for 2013:

BMW F 800 GS
85 hp
USD telescopic fork
Progressive damping spring strut
Spoke wheels
21-inch front wheel
Aluminium handlebar
880/850 mm seat height
Weight, road ready, 472 lb

BMW F 700 GS
75 hp
conventional telescopic fork
Gas pressure spring strut
Cast wheels
19-inch front wheel
Steel handlebar
820/790 mm seat height
Weight, road ready, 460 lb

haven

Expedition Leader
Right -- the 700 replaces the 650. The 700 gets the styling of the 800, along with much of the 800's optional equipment.

Cody1771

Explorer
thats what i was guessing but i didnt see it in writing anywhere, this is awsome news! now lets see that new 700 in a Seratoa styling....

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Right -- the 700 replaces the 650. The 700 gets the styling of the 800, along with much of the 800's optional equipment.

At least they are creating a distinction between the pre 2008 F650GS (which had a single cylinder) and the later F650GS which had the 798cc parallel twin - but it still seems kind of goofy to call it a "700" when it really has an 800cc engine . . .

wesel123

Explorer
I totally agree. They should have called them the F800GS and the F800 GSA, then there is a clear distinction that beemer owners would understand and it wouldn't confuse new buyers.

sandalscout

Adventurer
I totally agree. They should have called them the F800GS and the F800 GSA, then there is a clear distinction that beemer owners would understand and it wouldn't confuse new buyers.

Great idea. I don't closely keep tabs on BMWs and I AM confused. haha

tbared

Life participant
Board Expert on used BMW motos

Would some be able to point me in the direction of the board BMW moto experts. I do believe i have decided to commit on finding a good used 650/700/800 and would like to get some input on them.

Regards,

Thomas

:ylsmoke:

Cody1771

Explorer
i don't think there a whole lot of BMW riders on here, i've seen some people with the DAKAR 650's and the 1200's, while never owning one i ride with lots of guys who do, and not one of them ever regretted buying a BMW, pending you can afford the maintenance and parts ect. if your a big guy skip the 650, you will run out of power on it, and the 800's are hard to find used, mainly because people don't want to sell them.

Rightovercrest

I have an F800 and may be able able to answer some of your questions but if you go over to ADVrider.com there is a wealth of BMW and general bike knowledge available. The F650/700/800 GS has it's own dedicated section where countless hours can be spent researching.

I love my 800 but I will warn that the factory seat is torture! All bikes have their quirks and problems though. It sort of depends on what you would like to realistically do with them and what you can afford. There is no perfect bike in my opinion. That's why guys who can, often have more than one.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I have an F800 and may be able able to answer some of your questions but if you go over to ADVrider.com there is a wealth of BMW and general bike knowledge available. The F650/700/800 GS has it's own dedicated section where countless hours can be spent researching.

I love my 800 but I will warn that the factory seat is torture! All bikes have their quirks and problems though. It sort of depends on what you would like to realistically do with them and what you can afford. There is no perfect bike in my opinion. That's why guys who can, often have more than one.

^^^I'll second pretty much all of that.^^^

I don't have a huge problem with the factory seat - but I do wish I would have gone with the standard seat instead of the low seat. The low seat is pretty wide, so you are standing a bit bow-legged over the bike, which makes it feel taller than it does with the standard seat.

I've got somewhere north of 20,000 miles on my F800, & had my share of problems with it. Most of the stuff I've had go wrong is fairly common on the 2009s (first model year), & I haven't had any problems that BMW did not take care of (even after the warranty expired). It's not a "perfect" bike - but it is pretty versatile, a lot of fun, & returns a bit north of 50mpg - which isn't bad for a loaded bike with 85hp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier