Snowmobile expeditions?

asteffes

Explorer
So has anyone done any snowmobile expeditioning? I'm in Colorado right now and must have seen a dozen snowmobiles on trailers along I-70. I've always been slightly fascinated by them but have never had a chance to pilot one. I would think weekends in the snow, away from the world, would be a great time. Is it a big deal to rent a pair and camp for one or two nights with one of these?

I imagine it might be tough to keep one's fancy GPS from freezing over, and that two stroke motors are rather stinky. Anything else to be aware of?

S

Scenic WonderRunner

You could check this place out on the way home up on Grand Mesa CO. not too far from the I-70. Says they have the longest snowmobile trail in the US! I've read it's the highest flat top mountain in the US.

I was up on Grand Mesa this summer. I'm sure it looks better with snow all around!

OH Look!....The locals like it!:elkgrin:

BlackBear.jpg

I would rather see mountain peaks though.....but I'm sure being flat that it's great for snowmobiling.

From San Diego......I like to head up to Duck Creek Village, Utah and rent snowmobiles. A year ago my son and I rode 130 miles in one day which included a cross country run to Brian Head Ski Resort and back! We even got to ride along some black Lava beds. What dramatic scenary! Wow what a day! I just had a simple map of the trails in my pocket and a compass.....and watched the wind, sun and clouds.......and tried to stay on the trails.

It's a BLAST!.............Just DO IT!

Last edited by a moderator:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I live in a highly snowmobile populated area. I rode when I was a kid but never really got into it too much. I'm more of a silent sports type of guy. The newer 4 stroke sleds I have a bit more positive feelings for because they are much quieter and don't disrupt the nice quiet that I enjoy in the outdoors. The only real trek I've done on a sled was a tour of Yellowstone in late December. It was very scenic but I was a bit torn, especially considering the whole controversy there. I would have definately enjoyed going in on skiis more, but didn't have the time.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I'm really big into snowmobiling. I've been riding in CO and WY for the last 10 years, including working several winters as a snowmobile guide in Lake City, CO. A big reason I continue living in colder climates is my near obsession with snowmobiling. If someone said I had to give up my Toyota or my sled, it would be the personal equivalent of Sophie's Choice.

Due to weather, gas availability, and trail conditions, lengthy trips are tough to come by. One of the best trails for a "long trip", is the Continental Divide Snowmobile Trail, located in WY and MT. This trail is 365 miles and will take you from Lander, WY to Yellowstone National Park and into the town of West Yellowstone, MT. One could opt to continue into Idaho as well. This trail is consistently rated as one of the top trails in the west.

The big consideration is gas. Sleds normally have a 9 to 11 gallon tank. To make this trip you would need to carry gas cans, even though there are gas stops along the way. I have mixed feelings about snowmobiling in Yellowstone, but those who have done it generally rave about their experience. To snowmobile in Yellowstone you must make arraingements with one of the many tour guides in the area. They no longer allow individuals to snowmobile in Yellowstone. Only 4 stroke "clean machines" with a tour guide are currently allowed in the park.

Due to insurance liability, most operators who rent sleds also require a guide to go with you. There are still a few who may turn you loose after a brief training course. Something I enjoyed doing was taking the sleds up and renting a Yurt or Haute for the evening. There is a great system in the San Juans of Colorado, the Hinsdale Haute Route Being alone on a snow covered mountain, in a Yurt with your favorite libation, a fire in the stove and your main squeeze, under the clearest sky imaginable....Nirvana!

fawn1.jpg

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
kcowyo said:
I'm really big into snowmobiling. I've been riding in CO and WY for the last 10 years, including working several winters as a snowmobile guide in Lake City, CO. A big reason I continue living in colder climates is my near obsession with snowmobiling. If someone said I had to give up my Toyota or my sled, it would be the personal equivalent of Sophie's Choice.

Due to weather, gas availability, and trail conditions, lengthy trips are tough to come by. One of the best trails for a "long trip", is the Continental Divide Snowmobile Trail, located in WY and MT. This trail is 365 miles and will take you from Lander, WY to Yellowstone National Park and into the town of West Yellowstone, MT. One could opt to continue into Idaho as well. This trail is consistently rated as one of the top trails in the west.

The big consideration is gas. Sleds normally have a 9 to 11 gallon tank. To make this trip you would need to carry gas cans, even though there are gas stops along the way. I have mixed feelings about snowmobiling in Yellowstone, but those who have done it generally rave about their experience. To snowmobile in Yellowstone you must make arraingements with one of the many tour guides in the area. They no longer allow individuals to snowmobile in Yellowstone. Only 4 stroke "clean machines" with a tour guide are currently allowed in the park.

Due to insurance liability, most operators who rent sleds also require a guide to go with you. There are still a few who may turn you loose after a brief training course. Something I enjoyed doing was taking the sleds up and renting a Yurt or Haute for the evening. There is a great system in the San Juans of Colorado, the Hinsdale Haute Route Being alone on a snow covered mountain, in a Yurt with your favorite libation, a fire in the stove and your main squeeze, under the clearest sky imaginable....Nirvana!

fawn1.jpg

Very Cool picture. It seems odd that they require guides in Yellowstone now. Besides going off the designated roadways I don't really see the use of them. The only places you can/could ride in the park were basically along what are the roads in the summer. I guess I don't see what the reasoning is. Touring the park definately was a cool experience, despite the -20F temps all day. I believe that was Christmas eve 1999.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
upcruiser said:
Very Cool picture. It seems odd that they require guides in Yellowstone now. Besides going off the designated roadways I don't really see the use of them. The only places you can/could ride in the park were basically along what are the roads in the summer. I guess I don't see what the reasoning is. Touring the park definately was a cool experience, despite the -20F temps all day. I believe that was Christmas eve 1999.

This is the reasoning. While most riders are responsible, there is an ignorant redneck in every bunch.

Talk about giving the greenies all the ammo they need....:ar15:

Staying on the trail and the 25mph speed limit throughout the park are 2 big reasons I don't snowmobile in the park. 25mph all day on a hard packed trail is bad for a powder sled, like I ride. That slow, trail riding style is better suited for the two-up clean machines they are now using.

They have also limited the number of sleds that may enter the park in a single day to 700. "They" are the federal courts in DC, who have probably never ventured to YNP and have no idea how they've crippled the winter economy of park neighbors, West Yellowstone and Cody. This has been a big pissing contest between the Blue Ribbon Coalition and the Friends of Yellowstone, an eco-watch group who would prefer that the park have no motorized travel in the winter. As if the hundreds of snowmobiles a day in the winter produce more harmful pollutants than the thousands of diesel RV's and cars that enter the park every day in the summer....

OK, now I'm just ranting, but that's why the public must have their hand held if they want to enter "their" national park on a snowmobile. Oh, and I clipped the Yurt pic from the linked site. I have a coffee cup with that pic on it that they were selling a few years ago. Pretty cool -

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
25mph! Holy cow, when I was touring there it was 35 or 45mph speed limit and i thought that was painfull. Wow. Interesting articles though, thanks for the links. Yeah, I'm aware of the impact of the industry there on West Yellowstone. My brother lived there for a number of years before moving down the Gallatin Canyon for a bit, then eventually into the Paradise Valley north of the north entrance of the park where he lives today. He's a guide/outfitter and is one of the few guides that holds permits for Yellowstone. He runs pack horse trips into the park as well as the surround areas. He is definately living his dream. This is a link to their site..

http://www.rockinhk.com/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94