2005 Rubicon LJ

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Ordered front bumper today. The rear that came on it was a Big Daddy Offroad. I could not find a BDO with a brush guard, but went ahead and ordered this anyway:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Daddy-O...=473112784492928107&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=2&

Looks like I will have to put my new found welding "skills" to work on the brush guard part. In time anyway.

I cleaned, primed and painted the belly up skid today. Did not get to mount it, but it was so stinkin hot, I called it at about 1030 this morning.

Still looking at lifts. Definetly looking at progressive springs, 2 - 2.5", maybe 3 at most. Staying at 31's for drivability, fuel economy, towing, at least for now.

John

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Only 24k miles on her, might I ask how much you paid? You may reply by PM if you wish. I am starting my search for an LJ Rubicon.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Locker Pump relocation

While cleaning and repainting the xfer case skid I am going to mount on the LJ, I remembered I'll need to (or want to) relocate the locker pumps. On my 2003 i successfully relocated them to the inner fenderwell. Only issue is that it was not great work on my part. I am interested this time in trying to make it neater adn more well thought out.

Does anyone know of a good write up on line? Specific questions are in regard to wiring. Last time I just took the wire that connected to the pumps and extended them from the xfer ccase skid location and wired from there up to the inner fender well. This time I would like to pick up the wires at the firewall and run them from there directly to the pumps when relocated. Does that make sense? I just do not know how to find the right wires in that location.

John

Vinman

Observer
I know this doesn't answer you locker pump re-wiring question but here's where I relocated mine to.

Vince

100_0664.jpg

100_0663.jpg

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I know this doesn't answer you locker pump re-wiring question but here's where I relocated mine to.

Vince

That is a great idea. Uses no space.

John

jscusmcvet

Explorer

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Ordered lift and it should be here in time for the weekend install. That should give me quite a bit of work this weekend, with lift, belly up and bumper all to go on. I am also going to take the Currie LCA's off the cherokee (although I hate the thought of getting the stock LCA's back on... hard to move axle around working on your own.)

I know I am gonna take some hits over my choice of lifts... Just cannot bring my self to drop $800 - $900 for springs and shocks.

Instead I went with my old standby, Rough Country. I know they get crushed on by everyone on every forum, but my experience to dat ehas been overwhelmingly positive in regard to service and to the gear itself. So I am going with the RC 2.5" Progressive springs and shocks. Flame away but at 299 delivered, I can add the control arms, adj. trck bars, etc, when ready and still be less into it than with OME or AEV.

Worst case scenario is that the ride sucks or the springs don't hold up (not my experience with RC in the past) and I have to punt. I can deal with that.

Hopefully by Sunday night I will have posted about my "flawless" install with pics and a ride report... we'll see how it goes :)

John

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Front Bumper

Front bumper, springs and shocks arrived today :)

Do not have enough time to do lift, but did mount front bumper:
jeep tools.jpg
Absolutly required jeep tools :)
front bumper 1.jpgfront bumper 2.jpg
I took other pics but this was too simple to be made an issue of... in fact
One beer job.jpg
It was a one beer job :smiley_drive:

Like many of you I have bits and pieces laying around. What do you think of this for the start of a brush guard?
brush guard.jpgbrush guard mock up.jpg

I like it. With some additional tubing to protect the fenders, I may be in business. Of course this is a mock up at this point.
Also I have said I am a jeep guy:
jeep guy.jpg
Whoops that pic is laying on its side, but use your imagination...
This is the door from my barn to the jeep shop.

Lift and belly up to go on this weekend. Stay tuned.

John

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Congrats on yer new Jeep! Be sure to pepper this thread with lots of pics of it out and about once your ready to roll.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke