cold weather diesel protection

damienperu

Observer
Hi there all,

This is my first post on this site. I'm hoping there are some cold weather traveler experts out there.

For a while now I've been preparing my HZJ78 for the big trip. To cut to the chase I'm about to install an auxiliary tank and run new fuel lines, and I'd been toying with the idea of tank warmers and/or inline warmers, as well as insulating lines and tanks, thus now's the ideal time if I want to add anything like this.

I plan on getting into cold country in winter (at least -25), and would like to be able to turn off the motor at night for 10-12 hours before restarting again without to much trouble, but having only really camped at -10C before in this vehicle with no real drama, I'm still unsure if electronic or heat exchange heaters will be total overkill and if I'm better off spending my cash on something else. On the other hand, insulating lines and tanks is probably going to be pretty cheap and I'll definitely do that if its not completely pointless.

I've done a bit of research but I haven't really found convincing answers to my questions on this topic, which are:

1. will insulating lines and possibly tanks make any difference in a very cold climate without any sort of heaters also installed?

2. if I have a heat exchange tank heater, will all heat formed whilst operating be lost by morning with or without tank insulation?

Anyway, you'll see I'm still a bit lost in space. If anyone whose toured the colder parts of our world has any advice I’d be very appreciative.

Here's a photo in a not so cold spot, just cause we all love photos.

2011-07-31_1498.jpg

Cheers,

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Hi Damien, I think you have one of the best all around rigs ever made. I will get one some day, I swear.

To your questions, insulation won't do a thing without heat. That said, 10-12 hours without heat in -25 will likely be beyond any insulations ability to keep fuel warm. If you can find a system to keep your coolant warm overnight, that would be a better bet.

Hj61 12ht

I wouldn't bother trying to insulate, the local diesel in cold places usually has some anti gelling chemical added.

You can add kerosene to the diesel, about 30% kerosene mix should be good down to -20deg C.

I think in some very cold places they run up to 50% kerosene mix.

I have a small petrol powered stove, I think you could run it under the engine bay to keep things nice and warm in there!
What would be best is a webasto diesel engine pre-heater, they are pretty expensive though...

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Look into using jet fuel expeditions into the poles north/south have used it, however, be advised you would need some additive for lubrication of diesel pump (s) and injectors.

-25c is -10f or so and honestly I have started my 04 f350 with the psd and my 02 jetta tdi many many many times with no problems at those and colder temps. I usually just cycle the glow plugs a couple/few times if that cold. One thing to do is run some power service or the like every fill up to avoid jelling. Also carry with you some of the power service 911 just incase of gelling.

damienperu

Observer
Thanks guys, already I'm a little more enlightened.

Educating myself on the fuel mixes is obviously something I need to do.

I had a quick look at the webasto preheaters.... they look gooooood. I now agree that the right fuel mix and a preheater is probably the best way to go. I was already looking at a similar german diesel run cabin heater since some time ago, but some of the webasto appear to do both.

It is a big job to install them? Given I'm currently in Peru and will be passing through the bottom of the lower 48 before getting into really cold territory, its probably easier for me to buy/install on the road at a dealer in the states as opposed to importing it and not using it until driving past whoever sends me one. But does anyone have a rough ballpark figure on what a workshop in a southern state might charge me to professionally install one, as I doubt I'll travel with my complete toolkit to do a nice clean job roadside.

here's another photo - for redthies envy! LOL yes they are awesome touring vehicles, being able to sleep comfortably inside changes everything. this is my second, quite a few moons ago I travelled much of Australia in a HJ75 before expatriating myself. It took me about 3 years of intense searching to get my hands on this one in Peru.

2012-01-08_014.jpg

Cheers,

Hj61 12ht

The webasto are fairly simple to fit, but finding a suitable place large enough to fit one in will be the problem...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Damien, are you originally from Oz? I am always looking around on carpoint and the traing post for nice 70 series...

damienperu

Observer
Damien, are you originally from Oz? I am always looking around on carpoint and the traing post for nice 70 series...

Yep, born and bred in oz, residing in Peru for 10 years now. If you're looking to import an 84-87 model under your +25 years law, I reckon the best option is to trawl the venezuelan or other latin markets, much less shipping, already LHD and cheap to fly in and inspect, could even drive it back if feeling adventurous at the time. these days every country has online landcruiser/offroad groups and it is pretty easy to watch them with limited spanish for the vehicles on offer... model numbers, dollar signs and numbers are universal!. I know here in Peru the really good cruisers are often first offered up amongst the online offroad group members, as they are who will likely pay more than marketprice for a well maintained and tricked up vehicle. Good luck finding one, although most of the workhorse reputation the 70s have attained in the rest of the world for reliability and efficiency was solidified with the 1HZ motor models which are still out of your reach I think. Crazy how you guys are so restricted in vehicle selection living in the "Land of the Free"!
Cheers,
Damien
Damien

Lykos

Super Trucker
A few things to consider when driving a diesel in cold climates is to use a good additive, as mentioned before, and keep the tanks as full as possible. The more fuel you have the harder it is to gel. Think of it like this, what's going to freeze quicker, a cup of water or a bucket?

Good additives are Power Service and Lucas duel treatments. You can buy them in any truck stop along the way. :)

Running the engine is a good way to keep things warm in the tank. I know you said you don't want to do that.

The Webasto system has gotten rave reviews from the Truckers I know who have used it. It's easy to install and works like a charm.

These are guidelines I've used as a truck driver for 20 years. I learned some hard lesson running Quebec and Ontario in sub zero temps back in the 90's. brrrr ...

damienperu

Observer
thanks everyone for all the tips, I've decided to try to obtain a Webasto or Hydronic as my only cold weather modification and work with additives and fuel mixes. I hope I didn't offend anyone with my tongue in cheek comment on freedom... it wasn't my intention! I have lived in Washington, BC, Alberta and Alaska on several occasions for a total of 2 years by choice and I thoroughly enjoyed the places and people, though I did miss the littering of the landscape with 70 series!

I haven't yet found a Webasto seller that will ship to me here in Peru, but I have for the Hydronic ... can anyone tell me if is it much of a muchness between these brands?, or is the Webasto substantially better or more reliable?

Cheers,
Damien

Just out of curiousity what kind of cold weather are we talking about? Because honestly anything short of the artic type cold you really don't need to do anything but run a good additive and like was mentioned don't let sit over night with less than say 1/2 tank of fuel. Oh and in case you think I don't know cold. Oh and truck started just fine, cycled glow plugs twice and vroom.

Attachments

• 061sized.jpg
    061sized.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 4

damienperu

Observer
Just out of curiousity what kind of cold weather are we talking about? Because honestly anything short of the artic type cold you really don't need to do anything but run a good additive and like was mentioned don't let sit over night with less than say 1/2 tank of fuel. Oh and in case you think I don't know cold. Oh and truck started just fine, cycled glow plugs twice and vroom.

i plan on visiting the Arctic regions of Northwest Territory, Yukon and Alaska and later Siberia and so on, much of which won't coincide with summer.

Oh ok that puts it in pespective. Definitly be wanting to do all the cold weather protection you can. Good luck have fun and be safe, oh and stay warm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles