M416 Build in Maryland

Kflash

Adventurer
Ready for the next Phase

I was hoping to avoid an axle flip, although I am not totally against it.

Was wondering though, if it is possible to get approximately 2 additional inches using only longer rear spring shackles? Does anyone have a part number or model Jeep? that I could use the same parts from?

If so, would the new shocks I put on as OEM replacements still work?

Thanks

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Shackle lift for every inch you only gain 1/2" is what I have read.

It sits nice and level with the hitch in the picture.

Very nice combo.

Last edited:

Kflash

Adventurer
Yes, I like the way it sits now as well. Fully loaded it does squat down a bit. Tires not hitting fenders, but I wonder if over a big bump, they might. Thought a bit of shackle lift would help. I don't want to change tires or go much higher as it will be mostly towed on the road.

JPNCA

Adventurer
Not sure if it helps but this is what I did ( spring under )

I cut the fender at the bend then spaced it with all thread on the sides and washers on top
The left has been done the right has not

24b4ada1.jpg

4eeab2ca.jpg

As it sits now with 33X12.50s
Had it loaded to the rails with firewood and it never rubbed

50942DFC-72FB-4DC1-95E6-A73E23D99126-107-00000002CCBB1137.jpg

Kflash

Adventurer
First Welds

I finally got to try the flux core welder I got from Harbor Freight today. I am sure it can weld, but not yet in my hands. I will need to spend some time with someone that can give me a few pointers. For now, its practice, and a while until I actually try to make anything!

gordinho80

Adventurer
Higher wire speed for thicker metals, keep gun close to metal at 45* angle, quick smooth side to side motion while pulling the gun. Let the weld puddle "push" the gun.

you can get a lot of information and examples by watching YouTube videos on welding. Then get ahold of a decent auto darkening welding helmet and start melting metal.

Kflash

Adventurer
Been practicing with the flux core. Getting ready to frame out top. Going with angle to frame out the lid base (with the angle on the inside), and 1" square tubing for the rest. Not going with any fancy angles. Just a 4 inch tall square top and roof rack. Been scoping out all the forums ideas. Still worried about my welding skills, but I'm really good at grinding! Should be able to get all the supplies from Posners in Glenburnie, MD. Only about 20 mins away.

Kflash

Adventurer
FOR SALE

Please take a look at this thread!

I am trading in my Jeep for a new truck. Just need the handyman ability of a pick up. So with that goes the need for the trailer.

I am looking to get out of it what I have in it money wise.

Firm at $1750

That price includes the rear tire receiver mount carrier, tongue box, canvas cover and optional 1 7/8" receiver mount that fits in place of the lunette. I also have 3 extra (original tires and rims).

The trailer has a current Maryland VIN/Title.

Last edited:

Kflash

Adventurer
After having sold my M416 two years ago, I am again on the hunt for either a solid M416 or larger M101. I will be pulling it with my full sizedDC Tundra. Had almost bought an aluminum M110, but it was a littl too large.

Will keep you posted - excited for another project.

Please take a look at this thread!

I am trading in my Jeep for a new truck. Just need the handyman ability of a pick up. So with that goes the need for the trailer.

I am looking to get out of it what I have in it money wise.

Firm at $1750

That price includes the rear tire receiver mount carrier, tongue box, canvas cover and optional 1 7/8" receiver mount that fits in place of the lunette. I also have 3 extra (original tires and rims).

The trailer has a current Maryland VIN/Title.

Kflash

Adventurer
Another Virginia M416 goes to Maryland

I just found a 1967 M416 in Virginia. After a 1.5 hour drive each way, it is in my driveway. A lot of surface rust but otherwise solid! Time to start disassembly and paint stripping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94