tank vest

rubberduck

Observer
Does anyone use them? Either I can't find the correct search terms, or they're not that popular. I really like the idea but wanted some opinions from the real world before I drop the coin. I ride a 99 KLR.

thanks,
Jeremy

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Never heard of a "Tank vest." Do you mean a tank bag or tank panniers? I've seen some KLR tank panniers at the Aerostich web site. Seems to me they'd get in the way of your legs but I guess if you could secure them it'd be OK.

rubberduck

Observer
It is a molle design. You can attach what ever you want to the vest. Canteens or pouches you name it. It's not cheap. I was wondering about durability.

rubberduck

Observer
I have tons of pouches of various sizes from my packs and other things, so that won't be an issue. I'm mainly looking for other's opinions on the product.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Looks pretty cool, but WOW at the price. I thought I paid a lot for my Mountain Sun tank panniers, but these make mine look cheap! Personally, f you're looking for tank panniers, there are a slew of options, from TT to Aerostich, to Wolfman, to Mountain Sun, to Wal Mart. I absolutely love the MS ones and have had the Wolfman and Aerostich on the GSA as well and would still get the MS ones.

But if you've already fo the stuff that would attach to these, maybe not a bad idea? I actually could think of some dual purpose use if you tow a small DS bike and use the Smittybuilt GEAR stuff I think it is.

Cole

Expedition Leader
We have them on our KLR650s. Kinda handy for things you want to keep outin the open for easy access or things you want to keep away from other things. Not quite as much mounting room for taller riders.

7680338808_e100aa59a0_b_d.jpg

rubberduck

Observer
Got it in the mail today, riding tomorrow. First impressions, this thing is well built and heavy. Feels very solid. I'll be back with a trail report.

Cody1771

Explorer
We have them on our KLR650s. Kinda handy for things you want to keep outin the open for easy access or things you want to keep away from other things. Not quite as much mounting room for taller riders.

View attachment 113393

those are 2 serious looking bike, i really like the idea, wish they made one for my Strom, oh well, i have access to a canvis sewing machine so i could make my own if i really wanted :p

bcr229

i really like the idea, wish they made one for my Strom...
Hi, I found this thread doing a google search on the tank vest. I do that periodically since I'm one of the company owners, just to see what's being said about the product.

We currently have a VStrom1000 in the shop for patterning. We have had a lot of requests for a tank vest for that bike, so we have to fill those backorders before putting inventory on the web site.

Cole - those are some seriously loaded down bikes. I'm impressed!

rubberduck - I'm very interested in hearing your impression of the product.

rubberduck

Observer
So far so good. I would like to see the straps up a little higher for the tie downs. On mine the buckles are at the edge of the tank. Also maybe some front straps down to the frame. This thing is tough. The klr took a nap at the top of a rocky hill climb. My canteen took the brunt of the fall and I've seen no damage to the molle stitches or anything. I had to drag the bike down the hill to stand it. Giving it two thumbs up for now until I manage to break it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles