Toppers that Cover Lowered Tailgate

PHeller

Adventurer
I'm doing some research on a possible Ranger build.

I don't think I want to do the slide-in camper, because of the weight, and I really don't need all the amenities aside from the hard sides.

I'm trying to find a bed topper or cap that is extra tall, but also has an extension/cover for the tailgate area with enclosure.

That'd make the Ranger's bed 7.5' feet long, and plenty high enough for under-platform storage.

shandygaff550

This is a very interesting idea and I hope you or someone develops this further as I am in the same situation. I have a camper top and have thought about adding an addition for over the dropped tailgate, but, unfortunately I seem to be 'vehicular modification development' challenged!

Desert Dan

Explorer
I have thought about this sort of thing for a short bed Taco double cab.

Maybe tent to enclose the lowered tailgate?

cwsqbm

Explorer
If you want the tailgate covered while traveling, I don't see away to do it easily without having a permanent floor, aka a slide-in unit.

Something like a Tufport might work. The T55 starts at 375 lbs.

t55.jpg

Look at this thread too.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I don't know if such an arrangement would be workable for a permanent mount. I don't think the tailgate is really designed to hold any weight dynamically (that is, while moving.) Furthermore the topper would have to have a full body for the sides that extended past the rear of the bed and that, again, would add weight.

If you really need 7.5' of length, it might be a better choice to try and put a long bed on the truck. I know I've seen 98+ rangers with long beds, so they are out there. Every one I've seen was a regular cab, so I'm assuming that the difference in bed size is the same as the difference in cab size between the regular cab and the extended cab, and that they sit on the same chassis (IOW, you can get a long bed and a short cab, or a long cab and a short bed, but not both.) Of course, if you tried to put the long bed behind an extra-cab, the wheelwells would be too far to the rear, but with some creative body work you could probably get it to fit. Of course, it would have a hellacious overhang...

CodyY

Explorer
I don't know if such an arrangement would be workable for a permanent mount. I don't think the tailgate is really designed to hold any weight dynamically (that is, while moving.) Furthermore the topper would have to have a full body for the sides that extended past the rear of the bed and that, again, would add weight.

If you really need 7.5' of length, it might be a better choice to try and put a long bed on the truck. I know I've seen 98+ rangers with long beds, so they are out there. Every one I've seen was a regular cab, so I'm assuming that the difference in bed size is the same as the difference in cab size between the regular cab and the extended cab, and that they sit on the same chassis (IOW, you can get a long bed and a short cab, or a long cab and a short bed, but not both.) Of course, if you tried to put the long bed behind an extra-cab, the wheelwells would be too far to the rear, but with some creative body work you could probably get it to fit. Of course, it would have a hellacious overhang...

Easier to extend the frame, wiring harness, fuel lines, brake lines, e-brake cables, and driveshaft.

Even easier to buy a new truck

DesertBoater

Adventurer
If you could find a topper with a rear window like a Wildernest that might work.

Mountain Spring Rain June 2002 Wildernest with Bike Rack on Truck.jpg

It wouldn't have an enclosure, but not a whole lot other than a rear mounted awning with walls would be able to do that for you. I believe user Dustboy built a camper/topper on his tacoma that had a large rear door that lifted up and created a covered space when it was open.

Cheers,
West

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles