Garmin Glo GPS

haven

Expedition Leader
Garmin just introduced a new Handheld GPS unit called the Glo. The $99 unit uses position information from American GPS and Russian Glonass satellites simultaneously. This could be helpful in situations where the view of the sky is limited, including in a city with lots of tall buildings. Garmin claims the Glo gets its position lock 20% faster than traditional GPS units, as well.

The Glo Connects to Android and iOS devices by Bluetooth radio. It has an internal battery good for 12 hours of operation. A 12V power plug adapter is available for use in your ExPo vehicle.

For more information about the Glo, see https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=109827&ra=true

syncroluvr

I am looking at buying one of these to connect to my Nexus 7 along with BCNav, not too much in the way of reviews on it though! Might have to let everyone know how it works when I pick it up:sombrero:

xbox73

Adventurer
Reviews on Amazon for the GLO generally seem positive, other than that a couple reviewers mentioned that the ON/OFF switch is incredibly sensitive, which means sometimes it accidentally gets turned on when not intended, resulting in a flat battery. But for ExPo vehicle use, where users are likely to hard wire the device, one suspects that for most it wouldn't be an issue. However, one Amazon reviewer did report it shutting down due to overheating when placed in direct sunlight through an airplane windscreen.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
Was looking for a GPS to work with my iPad. Saw a lot of discussion about the Dual and Bad Elf and the seemed to be good but not great. Saw the Garmin GLO and it seemed to solve the drawbacks mentioned about the other two so I bought it. It syncs fast, faster than any other GPS I've used. Has a nice dash pad that keeps it in place. Easily connects via Bluetooth to my iPad. Tried it out this past weekend around Shaver Lake and Huntington Lake in the Sierras and it worked great. Used it with MyTopo Maps and it was spot on. I like it.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Was looking for a GPS to work with my iPad. Saw a lot of discussion about the Dual and Bad Elf and the seemed to be good but not great. Saw the Garmin GLO and it seemed to solve the drawbacks mentioned about the other two so I bought it. It syncs fast, faster than any other GPS I've used. Has a nice dash pad that keeps it in place. Easily connects via Bluetooth to my iPad. Tried it out this past weekend around Shaver Lake and Huntington Lake in the Sierras and it worked great. Used it with MyTopo Maps and it was spot on. I like it.

Thanks for sharing. Quick question. Why use this over the internal GPS in the iPad. How is this different?

Thanks!

syncroluvr

I ordered my GLO on friday afternoon from Calgary and it got to me in Quebec this morning, Wow super fast. I installed Bluetooth GPS by GooGoo on my Nexus 7 and enabled mock GPS provider along with two others that I forget the name of for the time being. I turned off the "location Access" and away I went. The GLO paired and picked up signals within seconds and while I didnt go out on the trails, I did jump in the car to record a track and everything worked together perfectly. I am so looking forward to hitting the trails and disappearing into the wild! :wings:

LeJerk

Keep the reviews coming! I'm looking at one of these (or the Dual or Bad Elf) to use in a Wifi iPad. It seems like this one is a little better and at the same price.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
Look for reviews of the GLO, Dual, & Bad Elf from the aviation sites. I fly and it is those reviews that swayed me to the GLO.

4RunAmok

Explorer
This statement from the link in the original post...
and charging GLO between uses is easy with the included USB cable or optional 12/24 volt cigarette lighter adapter.
...makes me think that it can't be powered for use via 12volt hardwire. If true, that's a shame.

Humvette

Adventurer
I am currently traveling and i tried to make my phone a personal hotspot and share the GPS signal and it did not work well.

Looks like i will get one of these :)

bob280zx

Observer
I have a GLO connected to an Ipad 2 using Gaia. Blue tooth seems fast and reliable so far. I have the USB cable plugged into a hidden Blue Sea USB plug.

hungwin jza80

Am I comparing apples to orangutans if I'm deciding between the Garmin Glo and an Android tablet with built in GPS? I may have answered my own question as built-in GPS probably isn't as stout as the Glo.

We're planning a trip from Virginia to Maine and I'd like to have GPS and generate waypoints and tracks on something larger than my phone. I currently have an iPad 3 (WiFi) and an iPhone 5, but am open to an Andriod device if it would perform equal or greater than the iPad paired with the Glo.

School me, please!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles