Matts M416 build

Matt

Adventurer
Thanks Hesterj! I appreciate it!!

RAZORBACK - Thanks again for the info about your taillights. I ordered a few sockets and replacement LED bulbs from superbrightleds.com today. Should bring my taillights up to par with the LED side marker lights.

I listed my leftover stock trailer parts on Craigslist the other day. Someone is supposed to pick that stuff up today. Im going to use that $ to get the steel to build a rack to support a RTT.

I was going to make the rack adjustable to use an annex but changed my mind. We also have a small, hard sided camper that I tow with the Jeep. Has a toilet, shower, stove, microwave, fridge, etc. You know, all the stuff to keep the wife happy. :)
9 times out of 10 that I use my trailer/RTT will be on camping or hunting trips when the wife and kid stay home. I was mainly getting the annex so theres room for the 3 of us if its raining and to make it easier for them to get dressed, etc.
I think I'd be fine without an annex. That will also simplify the rack I build and save ALOT of money!

Im going to make the rack removeable and mount it in a way that still allows me to use a tarp as a cover. I'll make the uprights a size that will allow me to make the height adjustable down the road if I change my mind.

Matt

Adventurer
I just finished a bunch of stuff to get it ready for a shakedown run next weekend.
I wanted to install a water tank and pump but the clowns at Plastic-Mart never got back to me!

I needed a way to stabilize the rear of the trailer so I made a pair of adjustable legs that use a ratchet strap to draw them tight. I had all of the steel and hardware laying around to build them except for the pins that go in the adjustment holes so they only cost me $5 to make.

They mount using existing holes in the bottom of the frame. I used some scrap 1/4" thick angle to spread the load to the top part of the frame. The angle is drilled and tapped to bolt the brackets to.

I picked up a battery charger, installed a shore plug, and finished wiring everything up.

Matt

Adventurer
I got a weather proof switch plate that I mounted to the side of the box.

I had a bunch of LED rock lights sitting on the shelf so I put them to use. I used 3 to light up the inside of the tub, 4 to light up the underside of the trailer and one to light up the inside of the tongue box.

I got an LED strip light and some new shocks left to install. I'll take some better pictures of the trailer next weekend when I get it out of the garage and out in the woods!

Matt

Adventurer
There is a 120v plug cut into the side of the storage box. You can see the internal part of it below and to the right of the charger in the pics. While at home or if you are somewhere with power, you can plug it in with an extention cord and charge the battery. I also have the 12v power wire in the 7 pin hooked to the battery so it will charge while its being towed.

3d fj

Observer
There is a 120v plug cut into the side of the storage box. You can see the internal part of it below and to the right of the charger in the pics. While at home or if you are somewhere with power, you can plug it in with an extention cord and charge the battery. I also have the 12v power wire in the 7 pin hooked to the battery so it will charge while its being towed.

Very cool. this is all new to me. I will have to do more reading about this.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Hey Matt,
Love the tongue box wiring setup. I want to add a battery charger, and an inverter to mine, and am very interested in the plug you used for the charger? The one that goes thru the side of the box... what part number and make did you use? Was at West Marine and Trotac Marine last week and was looking for something similar? Also where did you grab the Guest Charger from? I see them on Amazon...and at West as well.

Nice wiring job, nice and clean.

Matt

Adventurer
Thanks!

I ordered the charger and plug adapter from www.batterystuff.com

The charger is part # GU2608A
The plug adapter is part # Gu150cci

The charger comes with the plug pre wired and it just snaps into the adapter. That way you don't void the warranty on the charger by having to cut and splice the cable.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Thanks Matt... they sell them both locally. I will go pick one up this week maybe if they are in stock. Woot!

Matt

Adventurer
I finally got it out of the garage and got some use out of it!

It pulls great, no sway at all. The new shocks made a huge difference! The old shocks were shot. They had zero resistance in or out and made the trailer bounce. Nice and smooth now.

It needs a lid for sure! That's next on the list. I packed all of my camping gear in the trailer and it fit below the top with room to spare so I'll probably build a low profile lid for it.

67tank

Observer
Matt
Great build. Fenders are incredible
Really like how you set up the battery/power for the trailer. I have been thinking of how to run power to the back of mine for my LED lights and a few other items and I am going to borrow your ideas. Thanks.
Again GREAT WORK.

Bedwell

Observer
Matt,

Trailer looks great! I will be copying the inside electrical setup for my trailer box. I like the charging system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles