Matts M416 build

Matt

Adventurer
Next time I get the trailer outside in the light I'll snap some pics of the lid.

The angle is welded on.

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
Reviving an old thread to say that you did a killer job, looking into getting an M416 that is in similar shape to what yours was in originally and this build has me pumped for it!

Any updates since your last post?

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
Thank You!!

I ended up selling it last summer. Its new home is in Colorado.

Gotcha, mind if I ask why you sold it? I'm afraid of getting mine and not using it enough to warrant it, but I'm going to stick to a more flexible / utility trailer type build and have all of my camping parts and pieces go on/off quickly.

Matt

Adventurer
That's exactly why I sold it. I just didn't use it enough.

At first I tried to keep it dual purpose. Camping trailer and utility trailer for trips to Home Depot, hauling leafs to the dump, etc.
First I built a rack to hold the RTT and left the trailer open for hauling stuff around home. Ended up not being very good at either of its intended uses. The rack and RTT made it hard to load things into the trailer. I had to use a tarp to keep my stuff dry in the rain when I used it camping. That made it a pain to get at my stuff, and the dusty gravel roads mixed with rain made it a muddy mess inside. I also didn't like the fact that someone could easily reach in and take anything when I was parked.

Then I built a lid for it. Worked awesome. Kept everything nice and dry inside and I could lock it to keep all my gear secure while traveling. That was basically the end of using it as a utility trailer though. I was limited to things small enough to fit inside with the lid closed. Sure, you can easily remove the lid for hauling bigger things, but its heavy and a PITA to do! I kept my gear in the trailer so all I had to do was hook it up and go. That made for a heavy trailer to move around though.
We took a family trip to Colorado a couple of years ago and didn't even bring the trailer. We were going to camp and wheel passes as we traveled and I didn't want to end up in a situation where the trailer was going to cause issues getting through a trail. We easily fit everything we needed for the trip in my JKU without the added weight of pulling a trailer halfway across the country and back.

So I ended up with a trailer that I only used a few times a year and couldn't really use as a utility trailer. I ended up selling it and buying an aluminum utility trailer with a folding ramp and built some removable wood sides for it. I can easily haul plywood and lumber on it, install the sides and pile bags of leafs in it in the fall, and with the folding ramp in the back I can bring home motorcycle projects, pick up a new snow blower, haul an ATV, etc. I couldn't really do any of those things with the M416. No tailgate and the sides were high, makes it difficult to get big or heavy things in and out.

Don't get me wrong, M416 trailers look awesome and I do miss it sometimes!

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
That's exactly why I sold it. I just didn't use it enough.

At first I tried to keep it dual purpose. Camping trailer and utility trailer for trips to Home Depot, hauling leafs to the dump, etc.
First I built a rack to hold the RTT and left the trailer open for hauling stuff around home. Ended up not being very good at either of its intended uses. The rack and RTT made it hard to load things into the trailer. I had to use a tarp to keep my stuff dry in the rain when I used it camping. That made it a pain to get at my stuff, and the dusty gravel roads mixed with rain made it a muddy mess inside. I also didn't like the fact that someone could easily reach in and take anything when I was parked.

Then I built a lid for it. Worked awesome. Kept everything nice and dry inside and I could lock it to keep all my gear secure while traveling. That was basically the end of using it as a utility trailer though. I was limited to things small enough to fit inside with the lid closed. Sure, you can easily remove the lid for hauling bigger things, but its heavy and a PITA to do! I kept my gear in the trailer so all I had to do was hook it up and go. That made for a heavy trailer to move around though.
We took a family trip to Colorado a couple of years ago and didn't even bring the trailer. We were going to camp and wheel passes as we traveled and I didn't want to end up in a situation where the trailer was going to cause issues getting through a trail. We easily fit everything we needed for the trip in my JKU without the added weight of pulling a trailer halfway across the country and back.

So I ended up with a trailer that I only used a few times a year and couldn't really use as a utility trailer. I ended up selling it and buying an aluminum utility trailer with a folding ramp and built some removable wood sides for it. I can easily haul plywood and lumber on it, install the sides and pile bags of leafs in it in the fall, and with the folding ramp in the back I can bring home motorcycle projects, pick up a new snow blower, haul an ATV, etc. I couldn't really do any of those things with the M416. No tailgate and the sides were high, makes it difficult to get big or heavy things in and out.

Don't get me wrong, M416 trailers look awesome and I do miss it sometimes!

Wow, thanks for that great feedback! I've been toying with the idea for a M416 for a long time now and what you've said is exactly what has held me up from pulling the trigger on a few deals.

We're moving to a family farm soon (building now) and I figure that the M416, with no mods from me buying, can do small jobs (and can be towed very easily by a UTV into the woods, my Jeep elsewhere, etc) with no worries on length or being beat up (will likely bedine the trailer), versus our larger trailers that we use to haul hay/materials/UTV/etc.

Been down a long road of thought for mods for camping. I really need a small utility trailer more than a camping one, so my solutions are removable, too, but with a hoist system. Going to do a rack that can be bolted on/off when I need it for a future RTT or gear and, after considering the top/tarp issue, I'm having a boat canvas shop create a custom top to button onto the sides of the trailer. My gear sits in pelican cases that I've picked up on CL over time, so I can lock them in.

I'm hoping my plan moves forward well, but the nice thing about these things is that they'll sell for the right price. I'm picking up a '65 trailer for $900 (minor rust issues, lights need rewiring) and I know I could "flip" the trailer easily with some paint and minor work. We'll see, I'm compromising from wanting a teardrop but am hoping it'll work for a few years.

1store

Banned
Great looking rig. On your rear stabilize. Do you fell that if you off set the hangers, could leave them on and pull tight to the bottom of the trailer.

IMG_0497_zps2623dc21.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz