Matts M416 build

Matt

Adventurer
I started a build thread a few years ago after I bought my first M416 trailer but just deleted it because I bought another one!
I wanted a complete trailer in good shape but after looking for a year I settled and bought one in not the greatest shape. Basicly it was a beat up tub, the front of the frame was torched off, no axle, etc. I built a new frame for it, new axle, leafs, tub was ready for paint, then I found another one.

I sold the unfinished project and bought the new one!

The new one is in great shape and all there. Only issue was someone welded some square tubing on the front of the cast frame section where the lower pintle position is. I was able to cut it off with a porta-band and clean it up. Both of the pintle holes are useable still.

Untitled-1.jpg

Right now the plan is to just clean it up a little, re-wire it, and use it to haul camping gear and leafs to the dump in the fall.
When funds allow I'll take it apart, get it sandblasted, new paint, RTT, etc.
Im going to use the pintle for now, but I'll build a new bolt on replacement front frame section eventually with a receiver tube so I can use a ball or Max Coupler if I want to.

I took the lenses off and the insides of the taillights were rusted so bad it wasnt salvageable. I wanted to keep it as original as I could so I replaced the guts with parts from new trailer lights. Im going to replace the lenses with the "gama goat" style for better visibility.

Untitled.jpg

The inside of the blackout taillight was just as bad. I figured I'd make it operational. Maybe add a switch to operate it down the road when I add a battery, RTT, etc.
I used an LED rock light I had left over from another Jeep I had. Worked great. I did'nt get a picture, but I can take one and post it if anyone is interested.

I ordered a pair of red and amber 3/4" LED lights for the sides. They should be here in a couple days, then I'll finish wiring it.

I'll be sure to update this thread as I work on it.

Kflash

Adventurer
Another new 416 owner! Going to wire mine tomorrow. I received an original set of lights from another member. Still not sure if I'm going to go high visibility with the LED package I've got, or redo the originals. You mentioned the Gama Goat lenses. Will they fit the original M416 light housings - not much lense on those at all!

Matt

Adventurer
I thought I read a thread on here that said they would fit.
Heres a link for the Gama Goat lenses on the Midwest Military website. They're about an hour away from me so I'll probably stop by and grab a pair.

Kflash

Adventurer
Those lenses look much more functional. You just made me re-think my light set up, again... Maryland requires side markers. I have the front ambers, would just need the rears to make up for the lack of side lighting of the M series housings.

M416 Tail Lights.jpg

Trailer lights.jpg

Now these...

fullredlens.jpg

I've been looking at the rear support kit they make at MidWest that ties the sides and the rear cross member for added stability. I'm adding some form of receiver bumper and want the extra support. They haven't been able to send any picks of it installed. If you do get a chance to run over...maybe take a look at them and let me know what you think!

tandemhitchkit.jpg

Good luck with your build. Mine is in the thread M416 Build in Maryland.

Matt

Adventurer
Yeah, there isnt much realestate between the face of the taillight and the end of the frame. I ordered the mini round marker lamp LED's on this page. I got red and amber.

I'll check those braces out and get back to you if they have them.

I've looked through your thread. As a matter of fact Ive read through A LOT of threads to "borrow" ideas from. :D

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Hey Matt! Glad to see you found a decent trailer to work with!

Let me know if you decide to sell the lunnette after you build a new hitch, I would like to get mine back to original.

Hope to have heat in the new shop before winter, so I can do a rebuild of my M416 and CJ.

Matt

Adventurer
I decided to replace the bearings and seals on the axle today.
First side came apart and went back together easy.
Other side, not so much!

Took the dust cap off and there was hardly any grease visable. Went to bend the lock washer back so I could remove the outer nut, but there wasnt one there. I removed both nuts and the regular washer but the hub wouldnt budge. The outer bearing was siezed to the spindle. Tried everything, PB Blaster, heat, etc. and it wouldnt budge.

It was time to build a puller!!
This is what I came up with. I had to weld a scrap piece of tube to the 1/4" plate to keep the hub from spining as I tightened the bolt.
It worked like a champ!

IMG_0261.jpg

After the hour and a half battle with the siezed bearing I had to take a break. I'll pack the new bearings and put it back together later on tonight.

I got my 3/4" LED side marker lights in the mail today. I'll get the holes drilled in the frame, then I'll clean the frame and tub and put some fresh paint on it.

Kflash

Adventurer
Man! Looks like you had a bear of a time. I lucked out I guess. Lock nut was a little tight, but all bearings looked like they had been serviced at some point in the past. Way to adapt though.

Matt

Adventurer
I took it appart, cleaned it up, primed and painted it.
One side of the brake cable is siezed. Been spraying it for a week or so but it wont bust loose. Might pick up a new one when I get the gama goat lenses and a new pair of shackles.

I need to get some new tires for it. I'd really like to order a new set of military tires like whats on it now.
Anyone else use those type of tires? Any issues with them?
I had read somewhere that you dont need to run tubes with the stock wheels, the military just used tubes for added reliability. Is that true?

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

Kflash

Adventurer
Between Midwest Militrary and Jeepparts online, I picked up new rims and tires. Only about 50 miles on them, but they run and look great.

I wish I ha waited and went with the amber markers you used. I've got the larger rectangular LEDs on it!

Matt

Adventurer
I went to Midwest Military to grab a few things for the trailer. Super nice people and TON'S of inventory.

I got new shackles (one of mine was bent), lockwasher for the spindle nut on the hub, and a pair of the "gama goat" taillight lenses. The lenses are brand new and made of plastic, not metal like the stock ones. I called before I drove down there to make sure they had them in stock. He said they had some in stock but once they're gone they're gone! The company doesnt make them anymore and he bought the remaining inventory. He had a bunch there so its not like you need to order them today or anything, I just wanted to give you guys a heads up though.

I got all of that stuff installed yesterday so the trailer is useable for around town duty. I'd like to get some new tires before I head out of town with it.
I bought a new Jeep last week so now Im thinking about taking the tub off so I can paint it to match. And here I thought I was "done" for now!

Matt

Adventurer
I built a new frame section to get rid of the pintle hitch set up. Not 100% finished. Still need to clean it up a little, weld on a jack, and other misc. things.
I'll probably put a rectangular box up front to house a battery and wiring, etc.

IMG_0325.jpg

Got a killer deal on a pair of stock JK Rubicon tires and wheels. Now the trailer tires will be the same as the tow rig!
My dad is going to machine me a set of wheel adapters for it. Once the adapters and the tires/wheels are installed I'll figure out what I want to do to make them fit. Probably try a new set of fenders. I dont want to go SOA unless I have to.

IMG_0320.jpg

Matt

Adventurer
Thanks!!

You mean the loops in front and behind the tires on the side? Those are there from the factory. I think they were ment to be grab handles??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles