Matts M416 build

Matt

Adventurer
Thanks dude!
My plan was to leave this one 100% stock and use it as is.
I guess these trailers are just as bad as Jeeps, You just cant leave them alone!!
Seeing a picture of yours painted to match and hooked to Your TJ didnt help any!!

I finished welding on the new frame and painted it. Started mounting the box and doing the wiring inside. I'll post some more pics when theres something to look at.

Matt

Adventurer
Got the frame finished up and painted, and got the box mounted.

IMG_0329.jpg

Started the wiring inside the box. Borrowed the battery out of my camper to get everything layed out. The threaded rod behind the battery is one side of the hold down. I'll finish it when I get a sealed battery to use in this trailer. Used a terminal strip to splice the plug to the wiring on the trailer. Found a 4 space fuse panel at Northern. Should be plenty for what I'll need. I only plan on a 12v plug, some LED lights and maybe a water pump someday.
As funds allow I'd like to get a 120v shore plug/charger set up.

IMG_0328.jpg

95cj

Mines far from finished also, I just got it to the point of being used. I'm amazed that I can't even tell it's behind the jeep. Took it on a 4 hour trip north last weekend and got better mpg than my truck. Leaving for a week long camping trip tomorrow, kind of wish I had a RTT.

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 75

Matt

Adventurer
Not working at all right now. Amazing how much you can get done when you have all day to do it!

I picked up a used 4 door JK. Got a great deal on it! Saw it listed on line, the price was cheaper than the other 2010's listed so I went to the dealership to check it out. It was just a Sport but it had a brand new set of Rubicon tires and wheels on it and a budget boost lift installed. It was in great shape! Took it for a test drive and started working on my trade in and crunching #'s. The sales guy came back and said they made a huge mistake and listed it on line for over $2,000 less than they were suposed to!!
I drove it home that day for the price they advertised it for on line!! :wings:

Matt

Adventurer
Nothing too exciting to report, but I finally have a useable trailer for around town.
Got it registered at the DMV. Because it didnt have a title I had to do some extra paperwork and meet up with the guy I bought it from so he could sign it. After paying $80 in taxes and fee's I got a lifetime sticker for it!
Still waiting for my dad to get the adapters machined, should be this week. Cant complain because all they cost me was $20 for wheel studs!

I ordered a set of round fenders from etrailer.com. They will be here tomorow. They are 13" wide and should be perfect for the larger tires.

Finally got around to finishing the adjustable tongue. I made it so at its longest setting I could open the tailgate of the Jeep all the way without hitting the storage box. Drilled another hole to make it as short as possible without the tube interfering with the hand brake pivot. The 2" coupler bolts on using 1/2" grade 8 bolts. I also welded the coupler to the tongue on the bottom just to be safe.

IMG_0343.jpg

I wanted to take up some of the slop in the receiver tube. I know they make locking pins that are threaded for just such a thing, but I had enough stuff laying around to accomplish it for free.
When I drilled the holes in the tongue I drilled one side to 5/8" and tapped the other side with 5/8" threads.
Dug around in my hardware bin and found a grade 8, 5/8" bolt, nut and washers.
Thread the bolt in and tighten it down and it takes out all of the side to side slop. I drilled the bolt for a cotter pin for added safety.

IMG_0344.jpg

At the end of the tube I drilled a hole and installed an extra locking pin I had. Should help keep the thieves away and acts as an added safety feature in case the 5/8" bolt should ever come loose or fail.
I dont see that happening though.

IMG_0342.jpg

Matt

Adventurer
Picked up my adapters today, pressed in the studs and got them installed.

My fenders showed up today also. I hate the way they look so Im sending them back! :(
I just dont like the way the round fenders look. Going to have to go with rectangular fenders.

IMG_0345_zps12a974da.jpg

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
IMG_0344.jpg

I like this idea... need to do something similar. I was going to drill a 5/8 hole then weld a grade 8 nut to the bottom of the extension tube. Then you bolt a stubby 5/8 grade 8 bolt in, instant (nearly) anti rattle. Sadly I FORGOT to weld the nut on, and pfinish painted the tube. FAIL

I like your idea better, but I do not have a 5/8 tap. Looking good!

hesterj

Adventurer
Cheers to your dad for the adapters!

..........now let's ask him to make a few more sets for us. Lol. I'm looking to match my 416 to my TJ. (5x4.5)

Matt

Adventurer
I like this idea... need to do something similar. I was going to drill a 5/8 hole then weld a grade 8 nut to the bottom of the extension tube. Then you bolt a stubby 5/8 grade 8 bolt in, instant (nearly) anti rattle. Sadly I FORGOT to weld the nut on, and pfinish painted the tube. FAIL

I like your idea better, but I do not have a 5/8 tap. Looking good!

Thanks!
There is zero side to side movement, but it can still move up and down. I figure once the trailer is loaded the tongue weight should keep that in check most of the time.

Cheers to your dad for the adapters!

..........now let's ask him to make a few more sets for us. Lol. I'm looking to match my 416 to my TJ. (5x4.5)

Yeah, worked out great and saved me $100 or so! Had to wait a while for a machine to open up, they operate 24 hours a day, but I wasnt in a hurry.
Retirement is just around the corner so I dont think he's in a hurry to start taking orders. :)

Matt

Adventurer
I contacted a couple offroad trailer vendors about their fenders but they never got back to me.
If you cant buy it, build it!
Actually worked out better this way, I got to build them the exact size I wanted.

I had some 16g sheared to the size I wanted this morning. I dont have a break so I had to get creative and do it cave man style.

First I layed out where all the bends needed to be and where I had to make cuts for the corners with a scribe.

IMG_0349_zpsb713dff0.jpg

I drilled an 1/8" hole where the corners would be so there wouldnt be any interferance when I bent everything.

IMG_0348_zpsae1d5de2.jpg

Then I lightly scored where the bends would be with a cut off wheel on the grinder. I clamped it down with some 3/8" thick flat stock along the line and used it as a guide to keep the score straight.
All scored and ready to bend.
The scores are on the inside of the fender so you cant see them. I ran a couple short beads along them to reinforce them just to be safe.

IMG_0350_zpsdd98b437.jpg

All bent and welded up. Im going to use the stock fender mounts because I dont want to drill holes in the tub. I left the top mount where it was and removed the other 4. I'll weld them on where they need to be to work with the new fenders.

IMG_0353_zps9e201144.jpg

I made them 11.5" tall so they would be even with the bottom of the tub. 12.5" wide so they just cover the tire without being too wide. They ended up just over 36" long because I rounded up the length to the next inch to simplify the measurements to give the steel co.
I'll clean them up and get them painted this weekend.

Last edited:

95cj

Those look better then any bought fender. I think you need to switch professions. Nice job dude.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94