Land Cruiser Virgin Here - Which 100 Series is "best"

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
ok, so...
98-99 have lockers
2000-2002 does not, more prevelant w/o NAV, 4speed auto.
2003-2004 gets the 5 speed auto, but keeps the non-VVT motor.
2005-2006 has the 5 speed and VVT, but is the most complicated. IMHO, even the non VVT 4speeds have plenty of snort.
You could swap a locker 3rd member from an early truck into a later 4-speed, but you'll need to swap gears for a 5speed truck.
For my money, it'd be a 99 with good service history or low miles. The cost of getting cought up on 100k of neglect can be staggering. Watch for rust around the windshield and tailgate.

2006 is the 1st year for VVT
Locking diff use different axle shafts

trunk monkey

One thing that hasn't been brought up is the 98-99 front diff, it's a 2 pinion design and if you're using the truck for off-roading, then you should plan on swapping in an ARB. The 2 pinion design allows for some flex in the ring and pinion and that can lead to breakage. 2000+ went to a 4 pinion design.

As for the 2000 tranny issue, if you look at reported tranny failures of all 100s on Mud, by far and way the most come from 2000's. Is that because only people with 2000's report tranny failures and people with other years don't? Draw your own conclusion.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
The NAV is the only negative IMO with the '04. I'm very happy with the 5sp tranny compared to my old one with the 4sp. AHC does have some pros and cons as already discussed. I found a new use for it the other day, I put the cruiser in low so I could reach the drive-up ATM :peepwall:.

One note on the side/curtain airbags in the newer 100s. I'm having a difficult time finding a cargo/dog barrier that is compatible.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
More aggressive and remote terrain favors the relative simplicity of an early year 100 (relative to 100-Series ;)); '98-'99 MY IMO. For my uses/application the additional complexity and repair costs associated with the nav and exhaust manifold air pump system (EPA) coupled with more air bags, electronics, etc., of an '06-'07 would be a a deal breaker for me. The new component costs to replace the nav unit and air pump system is over $8,000 combined. And from what I've been told by one of our esteemed Land Cruiser experts, when the exhaust air pump goes it codes out and has a similar effect as an APPS or TPS failure; not likely an in the field type repair.

I'm not sure the OEM nav unit, on an '03+ would be a complete deal breaker...but I'd certainly prefer one sans nav no question about it.

For the types of terrain I travel a front locker is not an option but a necessity...an ARB locker resolves the front diff risk. Even though '00+ years got the 4-pinion planetary gear design they have seen their fair share of front diff issues too...so for the best reliability you're looking at an ARB up front on any year 100-Series.

OTOH if your "overland" travels are less remote and rugged...and you can accept the costs/inconvenience of potentially needing to replace the nav and/or air pump system then the power of the VVTi and A750F equipped '06-'07 MYs is very compelling.

If there was an economical way to drop in the A750F 5-speed auto tranny from an '03+ into my '99 that would be flat out a near perfect 100 for me. Add OEM cloth interior and take away the sun roof and I'm 'there' :) .

Last edited:

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
I wanted a non-NAV '03 - '05 but due to the price and availiblity, I bought the nicest non-NAV '00-'02 LX470 I could find for the best price. I love it!

p nut

butter
ok, so...
98-99 have lockers
2000-2002 does not, more prevelant w/o NAV, 4speed auto.
2003-2005 gets the 5 speed auto, but keeps the non-VVT motor.
2006 has the 5 speed and VVT, but is the most complicated. IMHO, even the non VVT 4speeds have plenty of snort.

Another note, from 2000, ATRAC and VSC added. For my ventures, ATRAC was more valuable than a rear locker. I can add an ARB down the road, if needed.

cruiser guy

Explorer
This is all based on US model vehicles.

If one could look to overseas I'd put a vote in for any non-molested '105 for an expedition vehicle. It's simple, manual tranny, solid axles front and back, diesel for economy, few bells and whistles to cause problems down the road. These are what the NGO's and the UN uses overseas so they can take the beating and keep on going.
Chances of finding an unmolested one...

Remote!!

Our neighbors in Sierra Leone have a '105 but it's been hacked electrically in a bad way. One would need the whole wiring harness to fix it electrically and it's been hit in the back and put back together poorly. That's a $20,000 plus truck in Africa!! Non-molested would be significantly more in my opinion if you could find one.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Makes me glad that my 99 came to me very well "equipt" with the ARB up front, 4:88 gears etc...
If I ever come across a 5speed at a reasonable price its going in FO-SHO!!

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
2006-2007 Land Cruiser with the VVTi should not be overlooked due to the air pump. The fix/bypass is ~$200 and works without any issues. Available on Ebay

Can someone else confirm these engine differences for me? Seems to me (I bought a '98 that needed a new engine) that the 98 and 99's had engines that were built in Japan instead of the US and used forged instead of cast connecting rods. Or something like that. I know as I was searching for a replacement engine for my 98 that it was going to be easiest to stick with the 98-99 for compatibility issues.

I love the fact that I have much less overhead into my base vehicle (a '98 w/rear locker) because of the age of the vehicle, and simpler electronics. This has allowed me to put that cash towards other items on my truck that would have been a little harder to justify if I had significantly more cash tied up in the truck itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online