Land Cruiser Virgin Here - Which 100 Series is "best"

jhanley

Observer
ACH failures are NOT common (my ACH has been flawless [rig has 149k]). Also, Post 03 nav failures are not common.

Buy the newest, lowest mileage cruiser you can afford. That's the best one.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
ACH failures are NOT common (my ACH has been flawless [rig has 149k]). Also, Post 03 nav failures are not common.

Buy the newest, lowest mileage cruiser you can afford. That's the best one.

I hear ACH failures are even less common than AHC failures!!

nnnnnate

Adventurer
How much of a difference is there between the '03-'05 and the '06-'07. The biggest difference being the VVTI motor on the later model. Is it a seat of the pants, this thing is peppy-er feeling or more being able to maintain X speed heading over the mountain pass? Or is it even a distinguishable difference?

Elk

Observer
How much of a difference is there between the '03-'05 and the '06-'07. The biggest difference being the VVTI motor on the later model. Is it a seat of the pants, this thing is peppy-er feeling or more being able to maintain X speed heading over the mountain pass? Or is it even a distinguishable difference?

Christo outlines the primary differences in the 100 series buyers' guide:
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbieUZJ100.htm

The VVTI is not discernibly peppier on a 2.5 ton truck, it is primarily an emissions farkle that can fortunately be bypassed when it fails.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
The '05-'07 were built in a different factory than '98-'04. Can't offer if there is any QC/mfg differences though...but just a stat fact. I like my now highly modded 10+ year old, to me, '99 100 just fine...relative to a 100-Series ;)

bnapier

My thoughts on vvti vs. non-vvti

I just wanted to chime in here about the vvti motor vs. the non-vvti motor.

I have a 2003 100-series and recently bought a 2006 100-series. I have a decent amount of experience with Toyotas:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/134871-My-Comparo-Old-Taco-vs-LC-vs-4Runner

Anyhoo, here in the Rockies, the vvti feels significantly more powerful. I know it's only about 15% more power, but the hp curve must be different. Driving a 2003 against the 2006 up the passes here is very eye opening. They both have the 5-speed auto tranny. Both are totally stock. My 2003 is in great condition. The 2006 easily holds 74mph (I only drive 9mph over the speed limit to avoid tickets), has much less downshifting, passes with gusto, and is a much more enjoyable drive. When I use cruise control now, it doesn't downshift on the mild slopes with headwind! MPG is about the same.

Maybe at sea level the difference is not very large. If you are at altitude, have lots of armor, or towing then I wholeheartedly recommend the vvti. I can feel the difference.

Oh yeah, if that emission things craps out then you can bypass it for about $200.

For me it is well worth the money.

My perfect Land Cruiser would be a 2006/07, low miles, Non-AHC, No nav, single owner, no wrecks, all records, tan interior, white exterior.

I'm not sure this unicorn exists in North America....

nnnnnate

Adventurer
Thanks bnapier, this is exactly the type of answer I was hoping to get. Everyone seems to link that slee posting when a new guys starts to ask questions and I had hoped to get a non generic response by asking a fairly specific question. I have primarily been looking at 06-07s but just wondered about how much difference there was in the pre '06 motors. I am in SLC so the altitude you talk about will contribute.

I've found an '07 LX470 with 76k miles in super good condition, I think the price is fair but its not an amazing deal. I tested the AHC on Friday and found there to be 14 notches from the low setting to the high setting which seems to be as good as it gets. I'm hoping to finalize the deal this week and am having a hard time being patient.

Deatramus

I too am searching for a late model LX470, don't mind keeping the AHC as we will be doing a boatload of on road/highway miles in our travels as well as some medium off road exploring, but want to make sure the AHC is in good condition....can you clarify what you meant here about the "14" notches?
Thanks bnapier, this is exactly the type of answer I was hoping to get. Everyone seems to link that slee posting when a new guys starts to ask questions and I had hoped to get a non generic response by asking a fairly specific question. I have primarily been looking at 06-07s but just wondered about how much difference there was in the pre '06 motors. I am in SLC so the altitude you talk about will contribute.

I've found an '07 LX470 with 76k miles in super good condition, I think the price is fair but its not an amazing deal. I tested the AHC on Friday and found there to be 14 notches from the low setting to the high setting which seems to be as good as it gets. I'm hoping to finalize the deal this week and am having a hard time being patient.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
MUD thread to test AHC. I guess the term they use is graduations and ticks on the AHC fluid reservoir.

Basically put the AHC to low and mark the level on the fluid reservoir.

Set AHC to high and mark the new level on the reservoir.

Count the ticks, graduations, or notches from the low to high marks.

7 or more is good, higher numbers are better.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Dont let AHC scare you set up properly and it can do it all. I ride in total comfort with the ability of towing 600# of tongue weight all with a great wife approved ride.

CYK

Adventurer
I think people get freaked out over anything "air suspension" due to the legendary fail that Land Rover puts out in its Range Rover and LRX line-up when the two can't be compared along the quality, reliability and durability fronts.

Math is simple for me:

Toyota engineering >>>>>>>> Land Rover engineering

Land Rover Range Rover brand marketing >>> Toyota USA Land Cruiser marketing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles