Land Cruiser Virgin Here - Which 100 Series is "best"

High_Country

Adventurer
I tried the search function but couldn't get what I was looking for. I'm SURE someone has asked this question and the topic has likely been debated before on here (and around many campfires too!). If you can provide a link to a previous thread, that's great.

If a guy was looking at getting into the 100 series land cruisers, is there a particular year model that is most preferable? I think throughout the generation the 'platform' stayed consistent - 4.7 liter V8, same transmission and such. But, they added little doo-dads here and there I believe - stability control, traction control, whatever. And, perhaps they made some power improvements too.

So, lets pretend like price is not a big consideration, which of the 100 series is considered 'best' for modifying into an overland vehicle?

I anticipate modifications such as a OME suspension, larger tires, perhaps a rooftop tent - the usual. And, likely won't be doing anything TOO wild from a rock crawling standpoint but want it capable off road.

thanks....

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Navigation update/usage issues seem to pop up on MUD quite a bit...don't know the specifics but aren't some Nav units more problematic

RobRed

Explorer
There is no transmission issue on the 2000's - Internet folklore at this point. The data on it is wildly incomplete.

MY 2000 adds stability and traction control and an improved front differential. 2000+ no factory rear differential lock. 2003+ went to a 5 speed transmission. Lots of minor changes.

The LX470 came with a few more amenities and are a lot easier to find for sale.

Look here http://forum.tlcfaq.com/viewforum.php?f=30 for information on model year differences. You need to register to download but 30 seconds and your done.

High_Country

Adventurer
This is great guys. I appreciate the info. I have no real desire to seek out a navigation-equipped LC. I've got a standalone navi unit with some software for my mac to track and log real time GPS info on downloaded maps. Much more detail than any nav unit would provide off road.

I appreciate the 'best maintenance, lowest miles' comment. Seems almost too obvious. ; ) I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a "EVERYONE looks for a 200X model because of Y" or something crazy like that.

I'll check out those other links and try and educate myself any more.

Now...off to figure out what the he!! "AHC" means. :coffee:

RobRed

Explorer
1998-2001 isn't hobbled by the built-in nav. I specifically sought out the 2000 or 2001 because of that, and the strengthened front diff. Very few 2003+ non-nav USA models exist.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...Now...off to figure out what the he!! "AHC" means. :coffee:

Automatic Height Control, basically hydraulically controlled shocks that raise and lower the vehicle based on speed and user input. This prevents the ability to life the vehicle and additional loads can cause the system to go into limp mode which is 'low'. Slee has an override chip that has worked out well for many users, others just prefer to have the system removed which is 100% doable but a fair amount of work. We've done half dozen or more removals, its a full-day process (including installing a OME suspension when done) and it can be done sans any lights on the dash or future problems. So, if you find the 100% perfect rig with AHC... don't let it be the deal breaker so long as you know its going to cost twice as much to do the suspension (labor wise anyways).

hks3sgte

César Gómez
For me, a 2004 without NAV would be the one to get.

At the same time, the '98-'99 can be found with cloth interiors.

hoser

Explorer
I've been told the 06-07 VVT-I engine has an air injection pump/system that can be very expensive to fix. Search 05-06 Tundras for more information... as they were much more plentiful. For LC100's, I'd probably say 03-05 are THE years to get.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
ok, so...
98-99 have lockers
2000-2002 does not, more prevelant w/o NAV, 4speed auto.
2003-2005 gets the 5 speed auto, but keeps the non-VVT motor.
2006 has the 5 speed and VVT, but is the most complicated. IMHO, even the non VVT 4speeds have plenty of snort.
You could swap a locker 3rd member and axles from an early truck into a later 4-speed, but you'll need to swap gears for a 5speed truck.
For my money, it'd be a 99 with good service history or low miles. The cost of getting cought up on 100k of neglect can be staggering. Watch for rust around the windshield and tailgate.
Corrected, thanks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles