Land Cruiser Virgin Here - Which 100 Series is "best"

Willman

Great thread!

My perfect Land Cruiser would be a 2006/07, low miles, Non-AHC, No nav, single owner, no wrecks, all records, tan interior, white exterior.

I'm not sure this unicorn exists in North America....

Bingo!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
My perfect Land Cruiser would be a 2006/07, low miles, Non-AHC, No nav, single owner, no wrecks, all records, tan interior, white exterior.

I'm not sure this unicorn exists in North America....

Since your shooting for the stars, might as well add in the twin turbo V8 diesel and manual trans. Oh, and solid front axel out of a 105 would be nice too! With factory locker of course.

bizutch

Was researching the 100 series, read this thread and on a whim searched. Some place called Jim Babish Auto Sales up in PA has a 99 model with only 67k miles. They want a lot for it. Bone stock and gorgeous. Anybody buys that thing, send me a finders fee. ;)

Dragos28

Adventurer
How many miles are too many for the LX470?
I'm looking at 2003-2005 and all i'm finding in my budget are 180k-210k miles...

Dragos28

Adventurer
Mostly because i've been reading til my eyes have bled and from what has been posted, the 2003-2005 have the better transmission and are most reliable. that and they dont look too old, they still look modern.

I guess what i'm asking, how many miles is too many, i dont want to buy a money pit.

Outwardbound

Observer
Was researching the 100 series, read this thread and on a whim searched. Some place called Jim Babish Auto Sales up in PA has a 99 model with only 67k miles. They want a lot for it. Bone stock and gorgeous. Anybody buys that thing, send me a finders fee. ;)
Just looked at that as its near my folks here in Westmoreland county. It's a great truck except the AC doesn't work.
2006 is the 1st year for VVT
Locking diff use different axle shafts

The '05-'07 were built in a different factory than '98-'04. Can't offer if there is any QC/mfg differences though...but just a stat fact. I like my now highly modded 10+ year old, to me, '99 100 just fine...relative to a 100-Series ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Dragos28

Adventurer
just an observation. if the TLC and the LX470 are the same vehicle, why is the TLC soo much more expensive than an LX470.

altaboy

Observer
I'm partial to the '03+ (4 bearing pinion/5 sp).

I know/hope someone mentioned the nav screen issues/expense. But I bet no one mentioned the charcoal canister issue: At altitude/heat/tank level there is high predisposition to vapor lock condition. Search on mud and ye shall find.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I'm partial to the '03+ (4 bearing pinion/5 sp).

I know/hope someone mentioned the nav screen issues/expense. But I bet no one mentioned the charcoal canister issue: At altitude/heat/tank level there is high predisposition to vapor lock condition. Search on mud and ye shall find.

I dont see NAV as an issue when and "IF" repair is needed the cost is about $600 max. Yes they can fail just like anything but talk with your local dealer and get the real truth not the internet truth. The picking is much better with a the LX than the LC and one will normally find better maintenance records with a LX. I have owned 5 100 series in both the LX and LC type and have been some of the most trouble free solid built vehicle I have owned. My current 06 LX470 has around 150k and the only thing it would need to go to Alaska tomorrow would be gas. Dont let a newer or any 100 series LC or LX with high mileage worry you if it has solid dealer maintenance records.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz