Tatra T815 my saga ...,

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I actually require more space without extending length, so I am looking at the semi armored military 2 door cabin as per photo's below.

Great thread.
When my friend was in the Czech Republic looking at Tatras in the 1990 he said that the armor cab Tatras were the cream of the crop. Since they were mainly used to haul armor command and control shelters on the back they had very few miles (well kilometers) on them and were even then rebuilt every few years. Something about generals wanting their trucks perfect. Although the ‘normal' Tatras could be imported to the USA with no problems, the armored cab versions could not be brought in with that cab installed, due to them being classified as ‘military equipment’ due to the armor. Since you are building your own cab it would not be an issue for you to import a cab-less truck.
I look forward to your progress.

There is an armored Himars cab on eBay right now, that might save you some cutting and welding if it would work for your truck. (Disclaimer-no relation to seller, auction, item, etc, etc, bla, bla, bla)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/110992038285#ht_500wt_1182
View attachment 137721

Last edited:

T815

Observer
I always likes Tatras and Kamaz. Interesting link about navistar. However how does the dual front wheel turning work? Hydralic, or all mechanical?

Twin steer Tatra is same design steering as twin steer US trucks, 1 steering box with swing linkage + power assist, linkage turn front axle wheels more than 2nd to match turning radius, minimizing tire scrub.

T815

Observer
Update, my Tatra is finally ready for shipping, original V12 turbo air cooled engine has been removed as its not EPA compliant, traded value for transport to German port of Bremerhaven, so if all goes to plan it should land in east coast mid-end June
Initially had issue obtaining RoRo shipping quote because its a non runner, but with import duties shipping etc etc should come in around $7k.
And as usual I'm putting the "cart before the horse" I just bought this 12V71 engine which will re power it along with an Allison HT754CRD trans

sery4u5u.jpg

pesyhe3a.jpg

T815

Observer
Yes the truck is 25 years old so as far as all the safety equipment that DOT NHTSA DMV are concerned 25 > no longer have to meet any Federal Regulations, however EPA has regulated engines since 1968 as far as HD diesels are concern, for years customs at the ports never really cared even though the rules have been around since 68, not sure when but in last 10 or so years started to enforce
the rules. Now customs clears vehicles for entry before they are even load on a ship. There have been endless stories in the past of vehicles landing in the the USA then denied entry, crushed exported whatever.
A vehicle without engine & tran's is considered a parts assemblage not a car truck etc.
So in light of all this, yes of course there are ways around rules but what's the point of $250k fine, and no spares support for a non US engine.
Tatra for years has used Cats Cummins MTU Deutz etc

NorthernMexican

Is there a particular place a person should look for the particular 815 TP model shown in OP's pics? I found only one listing and apparently it has been sold...

T815

Observer
I take it you are looking on Czech webs ? Also need to search Germany, Poland, Slovakia. I can find you one, what's your price range and where would you be shipping it too, need to know the import rules ?

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Nice trucks! Mog needs one! Or two!

OP, you gonna ditch those damned 21" wheels?

Last edited:

T815

Observer
Up date!!!
Truck had to be loaded on a "Mafi" trailer because German port would not handle non-runner (engineless) any other way, this increased shipping from $4500 to $7500, they misled though as this did not include US port charges for crane unload off the Mafi trailer $3k + storage waiting for customs clearance & transport out of the port $50/day, customs clearance & import duties $1095 so I will have spent approx $14k to get the Tatra in the USA, fingers crossed should be out of the port 11/6-7 next week

theburtseoni

Observer
I'm new to this site and forum, but this thread leaves me anxious and wondering if the truck has shown up yet?? I love projects like this!

T815

Observer
The truck is safe and sound away from the financial pain of the Port of Baltimore, it's now in short term storage just outside the city and will soon be on its final leg of its transcontinental journey to Belgrade MT

Thanks for your interest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94