Anyone using a Suburban

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Pierce Brosnan uses a Suburban in Dante's Peak. Although I apologize for my less-than-serious response, it is a sweet Suburban. :)

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Not that I know of, I think there are some real limitations to the Suburban. It is not that effecient, but does come with a large gas tank, length makes it difficult to manuvere on most of the smaller trails, very long wheelbase, pretty wide also. The space is outstanding though. I would have to think really hard about the trails I was planning on running before purchasing a Sub. if you are going to be on two tracks in the bush often, I would probabaly dimiss it as an option. I think sticking to a 4runner or a Trooper, or even an 80 would still be your best bets.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
That is kind of what I was thinking, but a lot of people seem to be running full-size trucks. As far as mileage, my dad's runs close to 20 on the highway with 4.10 gears, so it is at least on par with my Pathfinder. Both my attraction to and fear of a Suburban is size.

Scott Brady

Founder
I think an Excursion would make a good expedition vehicle. With the diesel, it gets better fuel economy than my Tacoma. With a small lift and 255/85 tires it will do well on improved roads and two tracks. ARB makes lockers, bumpers and snorkels for them too.

If you have a family and want to travel remote, I think it would be a good idea.

IMO, late model GM full-size trucks are a poor choice for an expedition platform, mostly due to drivetrain durability.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
For that matter, an F250 crew cab with a camper shell would weigh even less than the Excursion and can be had with the diesel too.

I don't think they ever had a diesel in the newer Subs or Tahoes?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
"Yukon Bob" over at 4wdtrips.net has been using a Yukon for awhile now. He has travelled extensively in the American S/W, and in Mexico. His vehicle is nearly stock, and last I talked to him he was quite satisfied with it. He has had some problems (usually when he is heading to the Slot Canyon in Anza Borrego.....), but I don't know of it ever leaving him stranded. I don't see him around much anymore since he moved south of the border, but if you can track him down I'm sure he will share his thoughts on it. He's a super nice guy, especially if you put a bottle of fermented and distilled Agave nectar in front of him.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Steve Frisbie built an awesome Suburban and it looks set to tackle any trail.

I haven't seen the new bodystyle GM's used as an expedition platform. The late 80's and early 90's Subs are seeing a resurgance in popularity for those who want to drop in a Cummins. There was another write up recently about a guy out of Grand Junction I believe, who had dropped a Cummins in an 80's model Suburban. The pics of this rig on SW Colorado trails were impressive. Stout axles, t-case, diesel power & torque with gobs of passenger room. Looked pretty slick.

I'm going to agree with Scott, that some of GM's trannsmissions, like the SM465 is not GM's best transmission. However, IMO the best part of any GM is generally their tranny's. The 700R4, TH400, NV4500 and the Allison, are all excellent tranny's and it's hard to dispute the popularity of GM's 350 & 454 engines. Parts for those are everywhere. And as Aaron mentioned, a 42 gallon stock gas tank will offer quite a long range.

The Duramax diesel has not been offered in a GM SUV, only their 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. However their old 6.2 and 6.5 liter diesels were available in the Subs, Blazers and Jimmys. The 6.2 is a dog but it was used by the military for a long time and there are still a few running around. They will also run at any angle, and with the short wheelbase of the full size Blazer, it makes for quite a good trail rig.

The problem I had with my full size '89 Jimmy (and it would be the same with a Sub or Excursion) was trying to see over the hood on an incline. Like many things, there are several die hard full size GM fans who run their K5's over the toughest trails in Moab.

One of the 4x4 mags in the last year or two, was building a late 60's 3 door model Suburban. They documented the t-case and axle swap, lift and a few other things. Haven't seen an update in a long time on that one.....?

Attachments

• Frisbie.jpg
    Frisbie.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 202
  • Pritchett Canyon.jpg
    Pritchett Canyon.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 186

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
goodtimes said:
"Yukon Bob" over at 4wdtrips.net has been using a Yukon for awhile now. He has travelled extensively in the American S/W, and in Mexico. His vehicle is nearly stock, and last I talked to him he was quite satisfied with it. He has had some problems (usually when he is heading to the Slot Canyon in Anza Borrego.....), but I don't know of it ever leaving him stranded. I don't see him around much anymore since he moved south of the border, but if you can track him down I'm sure he will share his thoughts on it. He's a super nice guy, especially if you put a bottle of fermented and distilled Agave nectar in front of him.

I might ask, thanks for the name. To me Tahoes are a bit of a waste. They don't get any better gas mileage than Suburbans, but really aren't any bigger (useable space) than a FJ80.

CLynn85

Explorer
There'd be it's ups and downs, size being the one that can go both ways. Can cram massive amounts of gear in, but it'd be tough gettin it down some of our tight/twisty trails here.

Man, Dante's Peak, I remember seeing that in theaters and thinking that Suburban was the coolest truck ever, a few years before I even had my license, it's all starting to make sense now....

XXXpedition

Explorer
drew from avalanche engineering has had 3 built up.
his latest creation features a cummins diesel with about 1000 horses and 37" tires. he's a damn tall guy and can comfortably sleep in it.

very, very nice truck. i was in peterson off-road or 4wd about a year ago.

Colorado Ron

Explorer
I have decided to use a suburban as my Expedition Vehicle. Size works for you and against you. But I really dont have much of a choice since I have 5 kids!:ylsmoke: Should be able to haul a ton of gear plus family and 2 dogs! I honestly got tired of looking at all the other options and trying to figure out how to stuff us in it. "Screw it, just gonna get the suburban and be done!" Now we are happily testing its limits:camping:

I went with a 90. I wanted fuel injection, but didnt want IFS. SO now I have solid axle and Fuel Injection. Best of both worlds I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke